Norfolk Development

vdogg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Humphreys already has a condo tower on the boards in the Minneapolis section that is 39 stories.

It would stand to reason if this building were for Minneapolis they would put it in that section as well. I'm not gonna get my hopes up and say it's for Norfolk, but i don't necessarily believe it's in Minneapolis either. That TBA line has been under that rendering for quite some time, then again they also have the old rendering of Granby towers up so this site is very out of date.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I actively read the Minneapolis forums online and am pretty sure that tower is for them. I can't guarantee it, but that is what people there are saying. If i have time i'll look for proof of that.

But it has a light rail station in the bottom right hand corner, just like Minneapolis's, and yes, that site is very outdated.

nsurisebuilding.jpg

The $22 million building, which is scheduled to open next year, will be called the Marie V. McDemmond Center for Applied Research. It will house such operations as materials research and information assurance. CLARK NEXSEN COURTESY PHOTO

NORFOLK

I hope that no ones posted this already.

Building boom

Construction strong with condos, hotels and hospitals

By Philip Newswanger

Inside Business - Hampton Roads

Monday April 25, 2005

Construction activity in the region was exceptional last year, which saw many privately financed jobs begin in earnest, such as the construction of the $450 million APM Terminal in Portsmouth and the $150 million Sanctuary at False Cape in Sandbridge.

Nationally, construction activity hit $1 trillion and employment rose 3.6 percent to 7 million jobs during the past 12 months, according to Ken Simonson, chief economist of the Associated General Contractors of America.............Full story

I hope that no ones posted this already.

Building boom

Construction strong with condos, hotels and hospitals

By Philip Newswanger

Inside Business - Hampton Roads

Monday April 25, 2005

Construction activity in the region was exceptional last year, which saw many privately financed jobs begin in earnest, such as the construction of the $450 million APM Terminal in Portsmouth and the $150 million Sanctuary at False Cape in Sandbridge.

Nationally, construction activity hit $1 trillion and employment rose 3.6 percent to 7 million jobs during the past 12 months, according to Ken Simonson, chief economist of the Associated General Contractors of America.............Full story

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think i've read that one. Good find!

Yes I know but they are moving where the money is at and that is Charlotte. I really think that we need to get more high paying jobs and this shows that we are lacking in that. If we did they would have stayed here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it had more to do with the fact that the city of Norfolk couldn't find a reasonable place for them downtown. They wanted to move downtown, but it just wasn't feasible for Norfolk to do so, which was a real shame in my opinion. After Norfolk couldn't get it done, they actually worked together with Virginia Beach to find them a place, but it wasn't what J&W was looking for at the moment.

I think letting that school get away was a big mistake on the city of Norfolk's part. Having another downtown campus would help generate more dollars downtown, and help to concentrate the culinary talent a bit more. After all the other stuff they've done, you would have though they could have found some place for them, like the Downtown Plaza or across Brambleton. :(

I think it had more to do with the fact that the city of Norfolk couldn't find a reasonable place for them downtown. They wanted to move downtown, but it just wasn't feasible for Norfolk to do so, which was a real shame in my opinion. After Norfolk couldn't get it done, they actually worked together with Virginia Beach to find them a place, but it wasn't what J&W was looking for at the moment.

I think letting that school get away was a big mistake on the city of Norfolk's part. Having another downtown campus would help generate more dollars downtown, and help to concentrate the culinary talent a bit more. After all the other stuff they've done, you would have though they could have found some place for them, like the Downtown Plaza or across Brambleton.  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They better be saving downtown plaza for something BIG to have screwed up like this. I mean no suitable place in all of downtown? c'mon!

Real quick update... earlier this afternoon, Harbor's Edge seem to be coming fine with work going on and both cranes clearly in view but then later in the afternoon, I noticed that the shorter crane was no longer there which means that the smaller building has reached its final height.

What's up with Harbor's Edge!? I don't see much work and progress there. I remember in one of the days last week, the only site work being done was mowing the grass at the site!

Real quick update... earlier this afternoon, Harbor's Edge seem to be coming fine with work going on and both cranes clearly in view but then later in the afternoon, I noticed that the shorter crane was no longer there which means that the smaller building has reached its final height.

What's up with Harbor's Edge!? I don't see much work and progress there. I remember in one of the days last week, the only site work being done was mowing the grass at the site!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sure you mean Harbor heights in the second paragraph and you're right, there's not much work going on with this. I guess they're taking their sweet time. There could also be a delay in the delivery of equipment/construction materials. Anything is possible.

I'm sure you mean Harbor heights in the second paragraph and you're right, there's not much work going on with this. I guess they're taking their sweet time. There could also be a delay in the delivery of equipment/construction materials. Anything is possible.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I'm sure its just temporary. Norfolk really wants this building to happen, so I'm sure whatever it is it won't last long thats holding it up.

I wonder if the bracs will effect development for Norfolk. I wonder how it will kill the development with possibility of two flat tops leaving??????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Norfolks development has nothing to do with the military. Almost every development lately has been with private or city money. I doubt any closings around here are going to hurt the region much. I was reading the paper over the weekend and they reported that there are only 90,000 people in hampton roads that work for the military civilian and active duty. I don't see brac closings being much of an issue any more and I think that the press is starting to see that too. I have read several articles lately talking about how past closings and realignments did not have the effect that everyone thought they would. In fact several places actually led to a renaissance of their areas. The only real target here is fort Monroe and the more I hear I don't think they are looking at Fort Monroe. But if they did I think that It would just be a realignment and moved to Fort Eustis. Therefore the area loses no jobs just a shift in cities. Allowing for development on the old base for an extended beach and resort area. Nothing wrong with that. B)

Base closing would effect the development. The people that are in the military spend money and alot of people they are betting on to buy these condos are depending on the business from the military personel. If it effects the economy, developers will not want to put private money out there.

Base closing would effect the development. The people that are in the military spend money and alot of people they are betting on to buy these condos are depending on the business from the military personel. If it effects the economy, developers will not want to put private money out there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There aren't very many people in the military that could afford the condos and flats that are going up in Norfolk, and Virginia Beach. Most of the people buying the condos are not going to be military. They will be business people moving to Norfolk or already there who make decent wages. The only businesses I see that will take a hit are the night clubs in Norfolk and virginia beach and maybe some surrounding retail around the bases (which is pretty bleak any ways). Other than that the rest of our economy will be just fine. Also the retail won't take that much of a hit because military tend to do their weekly shopping on base because it is much cheaper. I know from experience.

There aren't very many people in the military that could afford the condos and flats that are going up in Norfolk, and Virginia Beach.  Most of the people buying the condos are not going to be military.  They will be business people moving to Norfolk or already there who make decent wages.  The only businesses I see that will take a hit are the night clubs in Norfolk and virginia beach and maybe some surrounding retail around the bases (which is pretty bleak any ways).  Other than that the rest of our economy will be just fine.  Also the retail won't take that much of a hit because military tend to do their weekly shopping on base because it is much cheaper.  I know from experience.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a gross generalization. Military officers are rather well-paid. A major (for an Air Force example) gets paid well above $50,000 p/year plus benefits and/or housing allowances. The civilians on Langley are even better paid... Enlisted members aren't as well-paid by any means, but if they're single they have greater buying-power.

Oh... and I hate shopping at the BX.

That's a gross generalization.  Military officers are rather well-paid.  A major (for an Air Force example) gets paid well above $50,000 p/year plus benefits and/or housing allowances.  The civilians on Langley are even better paid...  Enlisted members aren't as well-paid by any means, but if they're single they have greater buying-power.

Oh... and I hate shopping at the BX.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Once again you are making my case. The amount of officers in the military is miniscule to the amount of low rank enlisted military. The majority of military here are simply enlisted making average paychecks 30,000 - 50,000. Also, most officers tend to be a little older and married with kids and not interested in the condo lifestyle. They want the 1 acre lot with two story home. I have plenty of experience with the military here in hampton roads. Trust me there are not very many people in the military looking for condos. Now up here on the peninsula in port Warwick and City Center the apartments and condos are much more affordable and yes there are a significant number of unmarried young military renting these places. Oh, and 50,000 dollars a year isn't going to get you into a condo in downtown norfolk or virginia beach.

Once again you are making my case.  The amount of officers in the military is miniscule to the amount of low rank enlisted military.  The majority of military here are simply enlisted making average paychecks 30,000 - 50,000.  Also, most officers tend to be a little older and married with kids and not interested in the condo lifestyle.  They want the 1 acre lot with two story home.  I have plenty of experience with the military here in hampton roads.  Trust me there are not very many people in the military looking for condos.  Now up here on the peninsula in port Warwick and City Center the apartments and condos are much more affordable and yes there are a significant number of unmarried young military renting these places.  Oh, and 50,000 dollars a year isn't going to get you into a condo in downtown norfolk or virginia beach.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well then it comes down to "they can afford it they just don't want it". We don't have many young professionals or retirees who would enjoy the condos at Granby etc... I'm sure they'll still be filled but Norfolk and the Beach better not over-build.

Archived