Norfolk Development

vdogg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great Photo, really shows how the business district has filled in. I think that is why downtown norfolk looks so small. If the buildings had spread out a little more instead of one little cluster, the downtown would look alot larger than it does now. What do you think?

Wow...whats with all the traffic on one side of the street in that pic? haha. Anyways, great pic willy. Norfolk has come a long way.

And responding to urbanfan's question: yes, I think our downtown would look bigger if they all weren't clustered together, but they really aren't. The new main street tower is quite a distance from the main high rises, and Granby Tower will certainly stretch downtown out much farther.

I think you're right. The Granby Tower should help spark a trend to spread the downtown out in the future. The Granby Tower alone is a good indicator that downtown is running out of old buildings to renovate. Downtown is also running out of room to build within that little cluster, so it will have to expand outward.

Also, Norfolk is one of those cities where pictures don't do it justice. Downtown seems much bigger when you're in the middle of it than it does when you're across the river snapping pictures.

Does anyone have any pics or info on the progress of habor edge or the sentara heart transplant center. i visited both spots in mid march and the harbors edge site was at 3 sories approaching 4 and i think that sentara was already at five.

Does anyone have any pics or info on the progress of habor edge or the sentara heart transplant center. i visited both spots in mid march and the harbors edge site was at 3 sories approaching 4 and i think that sentara was already at five.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I will try this weekend to take some and try to get some pics of the new harrison fishing pier that is in the process of being built. I have never posted any pics on here yet.

Also, Norfolk is one of those cities where pictures don't do it justice. Downtown seems much bigger when you're in the middle of it than it does when you're across the river snapping pictures.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Technically, I think that dowtown's borders are actually up to VA Beach Blvd which is probably why the city wants to push its next deveoplemt phase across Brambleton. I can see a lot of space for improvement in that area and hope that it starts to take off soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That sure is true. I remember being smack in the middle of downtown and thinking it was such a huge city.

One question about 388 Boush... I know that theer are condos going up around the garage but will they go all the way to College Place? It looks like there are two projects going on there, one where the old garage was and another where the Commonwealth College/Dumwaiter building was. Sorry if this is a dead horse. If there are seperate condos going up at the old Commonwealth College building does anyone have a rendering?

Second question about Boush Street: What is going up across from the AT&T and when will it be going up?

One question about 388 Boush... I know that theer are condos going up around the garage but will they go all the way to College Place?  It looks like there are two projects going on there, one where the old garage was and another where the Commonwealth College/Dumwaiter building was.  Sorry if this is a dead horse.  If there are seperate condos going up at the old Commonwealth College building does anyone have a rendering?

Second question about Boush Street: What is going up across from the AT&T and when will it be going up?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought it was all one project. Here is a floor plan link that doesn't really clear anything up:

http://www.norfolkliving.com/388Boush/planlevel.html

But this link showing the project on a map seems to show it stretching south from Freemason Street all the way down the block south to College Place:

http://www.norfolkliving.com/388Boush/locator.html

If this is true, the rear of the units at College Place will back right up to La Galleria.

Another email from Norfolk Planning.

I asked:

"Thanks again for your response. My friends and I were hoping this

hotel would be a new tallest building for Virginia. The last time the

media reported any kind of height they said 25 stories for the hotel,

so we were thinking the total building would be at least 30 stories

with the condos on top. But thanks for clearing that up.

Also, what does Norfolk plan on doing about the 35+ story tower in the

Virginia Beach Town Center? Will there be a competition for the

tallest building?"

He replied:

"The tallest building currently being contemplated in Downtown Norfolk is

Buddy Gaddams' Granby Street Tower across the street from the Federal

Courthouse. He's nor talking about getting the City to close a segment

of York Street so that he can consolidate his site and build one tower

instead of two. He's talking about 29 stories. Virginia Beach City

Council just rejected either long range alternative to provide some

traffic relief to Town Center and even when they bite the bullet it will

be a long time coming financially. Thud, I'd wonder about financing 35

stories but we'll have to see. The Town Center is definitely meeting

some market success and that's one reason we don't think for a moment

that we can sit on our laurels..."

Another email from Norfolk Planning.

I asked:

"Thanks again for your response. My friends and I were hoping this

hotel would be a new tallest building for Virginia. The last time the

media reported any kind of height they said 25 stories for the hotel,

so we were thinking the total building would be at least 30 stories

with the condos on top. But thanks for clearing that up.

Also, what does Norfolk plan on doing about the 35+ story tower in the

Virginia Beach Town Center? Will there be a competition for the

tallest building?"

He replied:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So...whats this mean? Did this guy make lots of mistakes or is it just me?

They really don't want to tell you what they have proposed till it is solid as concrete. He has something going on that he doesn't want to tell anyone now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Im with Rus. There keeping this very quite. There gonna let it out as one huge story.

"The Biggest Building Ever for Hampton Roads"

Thats what there wanting, some major shock value.

Im with Rus. There keeping this very quite. There gonna let it out as one huge story.

"The Biggest Building Ever for Hampton Roads"

Thats what there wanting, some major shock value.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I sure hope so....but this guy has let me in on some pretty specific details for the Hilton Hotel, that were supposedly "secret" according to the Va. Pilot article. I want a huge tower just as much as the rest, but we might just be stuck with 20-something story buildings for a while.

20 something is better than what is there. I think the more they build and the less land they have to build they will have no choice but to go up when they build further back.It also sounds like he also dancing around the questions you are asking. That is for a reason.

I sure hope so....but this guy has let me in on some pretty specific details for the Hilton Hotel, that were supposedly "secret" according to the Va. Pilot article. I want a huge tower just as much as the rest, but we might just be stuck with 20-something story buildings for a while.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I hear ya! i want something huge too but 20-25 stories is pretty big!

How many stories is the Dominion tower and BOA tower. those seem like nice sizes.

He replied:

It sounds like he reads the same paper we do and knows about as much as we do.

20 something is better than what is there. I think the more they build and the less land they have to build they will have no choice but to go up when they build further back.It also sounds like he also dancing around the questions you are asking. That is for a reason.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He is def. doing a little jig.

Archived