Norfolk Development

vdogg

A little tidbit of info...

The bid for construction of the The Rows at Ghent - Condos has been released. Construction should be starting on these soon.

The Rows at Ghent

The other part of this development is the Bristol at Ghent - apartments. Look for these to start soon after the condos begin.

Bristol at Ghent

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anybody know the prices that they are asking?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also,

This is from Norfolk.gov

When Tierney Sutton walks on stage at the Premier Theater on April 18 at 7:30 p.m., the world-renown jazz vocalist will make history.  She will become the first person to perform in the theater on Granby Street in more than 20 years.

The theater first opened its doors on February 21, 1916 when police officers were summoned to control a crowd of more than 1,700 people who showed up to watch

thanks for the photo find ace707. I am completely opinionated on what I think of it, but it has more to do with my memory of what use to be on the site. I would of loved to see the old building incorporated into the site instead of a complete demolation of an entire historic block for a mediocre black glass building.

thanks for the photo find ace707.  I am completely opinionated on what I think of it, but it has more to do with my memory of what use to be on the site.  I would of loved to see the old building incorporated into the site instead of a complete demolation of an entire historic block for a mediocre black glass building.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

actually i think urbanfan found the pic. I was simply making a comment about the pics. I'm mixed with your opinion. I agree but also disagree. It's nice but sure doesn't get tourists to take pictures with it. The older building would make the skyline have variety but it probably was not in either the shape or had the space to make improvements and meet demands to adjust to the ever-changing world of office towers.

I don't think its that bad of building, it brings something different to downtown. Too bad its not a little taller. It doesn't have that bland look that the BOA building has.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

See I actually enjoy the BOA building. when I see it I think Norfolk. (too bad SOM had to build 100 of them in different cities) See for black boxes in Norfolk, I love the Suntrust building over by the NS building much more, it was a true international style, and it was the first modern building that made me fall in love with modern architecture.

See I actually enjoy the BOA building.  when I see it I think Norfolk.  (too bad SOM had to build 100 of them in different cities)  See for black boxes in Norfolk, I love the Suntrust building over by the NS building much more, it was a true international style, and it was the first modern building that made me fall in love with modern architecture.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup, I see Norfolk too when I see the BOA building. I like it much better than Richmond's too. Wasn't this one of the first bigger skyscrapers in Norfolk?

Yup, I see Norfolk too when I see the BOA building. I like it much better than Richmond's too. Wasn't this one of the first bigger skyscrapers in Norfolk?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah it was the first major tower for Norfolk. I have seen pics of when it was first constructed and Norfolk looked so bare with just the white tower sticking out.

New article in Daily Press. Good job Peninsula newspaper! :thumbsup:

NORFOLK -- It used to be called just Nauticus.

But more and more, says executive director Richard C. Conti, it will become known as the National Maritime Center, of which Nauticus is only one part.

Nauticus, on Waterside Drive, started as a museum catering to nautical science and technology interests. But in recent years, the museum has added the former USS Wisconsin, an Iowa-class battleship; and the Hampton Roads Naval Museum. It's also adding a visitor center for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. And it's embarking on a major effort to build a $36 million, 80,000-square-foot cruise ship terminal on the site by 2006.

"While the Nauticus name is nice, the National Maritime Center name is really more descriptive," Conti said at a luncheon speech of the Virginia Ship Repair Association on Tuesday. "Nauticus will be just one of the elements we have. It's sort of like a campus now, if we can liken it to a university."

Conti said the new cruise ship terminal would keep existing cruise operators and attract more customers, with many of them likely to come to Hampton Roads from far and wide. In a surprise to Nauticus officials, Conti said, fully 40 percent of the American passengers that have used the temporary cruise ship terminals in recent years have traveled more than 300 miles to Hampton Roads......

Rest of story..

I think that the new library will stand and look great, that is why i think the city got TCC in the mix to make it big and to have extra funds for the unique architecture.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Aside from that, TCC said themselves that they need a new library. The city knows they needed an update and because both the college and city have similar needs, it's only right to team up to help each other because it would be too costly and difficult to make a library for themselves.

Aside from that, TCC said themselves that they need a new library. The city knows they needed an update and because both the college and city have similar needs, it's only right to team up to help each other because it would be too costly and difficult to make a library for themselves.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now that is how you play the game (urban development) Game Face :angry: , Team Work! I wonder if the rest of the HR communities could do the samething or play the same game on the other hand maybe not! :)

Now that is how you play the game (urban development) Game Face  :angry: , Team Work! I wonder if the rest of the HR communities could do the samething or play the same game on the other hand maybe not!  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

doubt it, it will be a miracle if VaBeach joins in the light rail project, that will be the biggest key in a joint effort for this area. If that happens anything can happen for this area.

I didnt see it anywhere else, so I guess I'm the first one to post this:

Piles are now being driven at the Harbor Heights site. However the surrounding buildings have not been demolished yet. Anyway, this means two major buildings that will make an impact on the Norfolk skyline are under construction within about two blocks of each other.

If norfolk ever goes through with the library plan, i hope they build one with a lot of class to it. Something with pillars and a really old fashioned design. Hopefully it will be similar to the greek parthenon like a lot of libraries and museums in philadelphia and New York.

Archived