sports in norfolk

rusthebuss

You guys i share those same exact dreams as you all and the time shall come when we will beable to do those things. when we tried to lure the baseball team it seemed so close but so far away. i think the the norfolk council especially the mayor Fraim (i love this guy) is doing everything in his powers to help this city to grow. Light rail has to come and i think we are progressing more and more with all of the development. and if vdot stop throwing away so much money maybe we will be able to generate a rail system (40 million for a access ramp through pat robertson's neighbor hood come on)!

You guys i share those same exact dreams as you all and the time shall come when we will beable to do those things.  when we tried to lure the baseball team it seemed so close but so far away. i think the the norfolk council especially the mayor Fraim (i love this guy) is doing everything in his powers to help this city to grow. Light rail has to come and i think we are progressing more and more with all of the development. and if vdot stop throwing away so much money maybe we will be able to generate a rail system (40 million for a access ramp through pat robertson's neighbor hood come on)!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That came from congress not VDOT.

• 2 months later...

Oh lord, not again.

I can't imagine that these events haven't been monitored by all local prospective bidders. So hopefully we will get off to great start in the bidding process. Norfolk made a great showing during the Expos derby and now has a good deal more leverage and credibility going into any new relocation effort. :thumbsup:

Imagine Norfolk's new light rail pulling up to a new major league park! Holly Cow!! :yahoo:

NorfolkBallpark.jpg

I've gotten to the point I don't think anyone will move a team here! But if it would I have a feeling our develpment would explode beyond our dreams. I think if its brought up again we will be another pawn just like with the expos. What makes me mad :angry: is the all the team owners said that there had to be a owner before the move and its way past a year now and still no OWNER! We had owners right here! :rolleyes:

Edited by rusthebuss

I've gotten to the point I don't think anyone will move a team here! But if it would I have a feeling our develpment would explode beyond our dreams. I think if its brought up again we will be another pawn just like with the expos. What makes me mad :angry: is the all the team owners said that there had to be a owner before the move and its way past a year now and still no OWNER! We had owners right here! :rolleyes:

You just misunderstood. They meant there had to be an owner willing to pay half a billion dollars. Because as we all know, baseball teams are llike the players themselves: overpaid. Ah, the Nationals, hopefully the lucky buyer doesn't get a Darren Dreifort.

Time for a list of contenders:

Las Vegas: An oasis of low-wage earners and second-home high rollers.

Portland: Does anyone still care?

Sacramento: Why?

San Antonio: They're focused on the Saints.

Austin: They're focused on crowning Mack Brown king or setting his office chair on fire. More on Jan. 4.

OKC: They're focused on backmailing Stern. Besides, no one can backmail the devil.

Indy: Why not?

Birmingham: If the NBA can let a team go to NO, then MLB can do the same.

Orlando: They're growing pretty fast and Mickey needs something else to do besides breaking into SeaWorld. And can you imagine the pub from a Disneyland (Angels) vs. Disney World series. Yeah, I can't either.

Jax: They're focused on stealing VB jets and a Norfolk carrier.

Charlotte: Do the Braves claim them?

Norfolk: Wait until Selig says HR is part of DC's market.

No kidding. Over a year after MLB awarded the Expos to DC they still; have no owner, have no stadium plan, have no lease. Norfolk had all that covered. :thumbsup:

Two things could make this thing get totally weird 1st, Stern moves an NBA franchise into Vegas before MLA can relocate a team there. 2nd, the A's and Twins begin to officially consider relocation themselves. Imagine having up to three teams on the market. :silly:

Over at SSP there is thread that says Charlotte, Vegas, and Portland are in talks with the Marlins. Why is Norfolk not in talks with this team? Have our guys just give up?

Probably so! Haven't you???? We are so low on the radar nationally its ridiculous. I'm surprised that Johnson even wanted to build a hotel here.

I think it comes down to the fact that Norfolk is too small to support MLB baseball.... as was mentioned over there, NFL? maybe...NBA? quite possibly... but maybe not baseball. You've gotta fill a 40k+ stadium over 80 times a year.

only trouble is that for NFL, I think many people are probably either Carolina or Washington fans.

maybe NBA is the best bet?

I think it comes down to the fact that Norfolk is too small to support MLB baseball.... as was mentioned over there, NFL? maybe...NBA? quite possibly... but maybe not baseball. You've gotta fill a 40k+ stadium over 80 times a year.

only trouble is that for NFL, I think many people are probably either Carolina or Washington fans.

maybe NBA is the best bet?

We are no smaller than Milwaukee (1.7 Mill), Kansas City (1.9 Mill). Not to mention that we are still larger than Vegas at the least we should be in contention. Considering that you have no gauge for who would attend, assuming that we could not fill a stadium 80 times a year is foolish. Not to mention that fillling a basketball stadium with a minimum of 20,000 isn't much different than a stadium for 35,000. Lets not also mention that basketball tickets are twice the cost of baseball tickets.

Well they claim to be 2.1-2.2 million.

That's not the MSA. That's the CMSA, which I and many others feel is not very accurate. Their true metro population (MSA) is between 1.4-1.5 million.

The CMSA does make metros sound bigger than they really are, so people will be more than happy to use that number.

Edited by willy

The main problems with major league sports in Hampton Roads is lack of corporate support and traffic. To make it work financially you need the support of Richmond's business community, and traffic is so bad coming down I-64 into downtown Norfolk, it wouldn't work at the present moment.

With its growth rate, Vegas has surpassed HR. In terms of disposable income, I'd say HR is ahead of Vegas considering per capita income and housing prices. Charlotte has the edge in those categories since it has higher incomes and lower home prices. However, I don't see Charlotte supporting 3 teams. If the A's move, it will be to Sacramento. They'd really like to move to San Jose but the Giants have the rights to that city as well as Santa Clara county and I believe Contra Costa county. In the end, the three cities mentioned including Ft. Lauderdale are the front runners. Remember, the deal fell through with Miami. There's still a good chance that the Marlins remain in South Florida.

As for the NBA, Vegas is Stern's first love. He also wants a team in Baltimore. OKC and St. Louis have NBA-ready arenas. (Don't ask why OKC, it doesn't make sense to me either). KC will soon have a new arena. If HR doesn't build a new arean, it's a non-factor in landing an NBA team.

THIS IS B.S.! They wouldn't be running into this if they came here! I really don't think we need Richmond corps to support a team here! There is alot of business here and we have a stronger economy!

But it doesn't hurt to have regional support, particularly when Richmond-area fans may be more than willing to make the semi-arduous trek down I-64 to see their favorite team. :thumbsup: I agree though. For one, Hampton Roads doesn't flaunt around money (heh... we have none to splurge with) so our stadium--in theory-- probably wouldn't have gone over budget, nor would it have started in the low-500 millions$ either.

I wish they had come here. The current stadium would have sufficed for a couple years until a replacement was built (hopefully alongside). *sigh*. who knows... maybe they'll grow weary of a location in the NOVA Beltway and want to move southward eventually? Maybe their presence will negatively impact Baltimore in terms of ticket sales? So many factors could push a team down here... but I think everyone has been consistently right on one thing: "Build it and they will come", not the other way around.