sports in norfolk

rusthebuss

Because MSA's aren't as reflective of the business climate of a city. Simply take a look at downtown Norfolk vs downtown Jax and you'll see what I mean.

There are 6 towers under constuction in downtown right now. How many in Norfolk?

My point is HR is larger, population wise, but Jax is bigger business wise.

Because MSA's aren't as reflective of the business climate of a city.  Simply take a look at downtown Norfolk vs downtown Jax and you'll see what I mean.

There are 6 towers under constuction in downtown right now.  How many in Norfolk?

My point is HR is larger, population wise, but Jax is bigger business wise.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually you need to look at all the projects propose in Norfolk alone not including Vabeach, Newport News, Suffolk, and Portsmouth. Do a little more research on us before you make a comment like that. We have a tremendous amount of projects in the work and being built.

:rolleyes: **ahem**. I think we can all recognize there are pitfalls and benfits in both cities guys. Rus does have a point though, we have 5 towers either under construction or starting construction in the next 6 months in DT Norfolk alone. Thats not counting the 6 proposed towers that will one day grace the Portsmouth shoreline and compliment Norfolks skyline. When you add Va. Beach to the mix (11 miles away) and you see that the number of towers coming online will be well into the double digits, but I digress. I believe the point here (a point more related to the topic at hand) is people are simply frustrated with Norfolks inability to even attract mention when it comes to getting a pro sports team. I, unfortunately, don't see that changing for the forseeable future.

What i was stating is the fact we do have a business friendly city and its not just Navy like Viper is implying. People have no respect for this area and that is why we are having such a difficult time luring a team! But they need to take factors out of the puzzle and thats a new arena!

I never once said Norfolk was just Navy nor implied it. I also didn't say it wasn't business friendly, simply that Jacksonville as a consolidated city is easier to do business with than for Norfolk to compete with surrounding cities in landing a large program such as a major league sport.

As for development figures I gave, I went by Emporis.

I never once said Norfolk was just Navy nor implied it.  I also didn't say it wasn't business friendly, simply that Jacksonville as a consolidated city is easier to do business with than for Norfolk to compete with surrounding cities in landing a large program such as a major league sport.

As for development figures I gave, I went by Emporis.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well they didn't have half the stuff we have being constructed for this area. They told us that we don't have anyone in the area so they couldn't help us in keeping up with our proposals and buildings being constructed.

ok, maybe this is off topic, but I dont think we will ever get a major sports team in this area solely due to the roads/tunnels. when they even consider a big name team coming here, they are counting on ppl from from all sides of the water. we all know it takes hours to go 45 miles in rush hour here, so how in the hell is thousands of ppl going to make it to the game with the terrible traffic we have?

ok, maybe this is off topic, but I dont think we will ever get a major sports team in this area solely due to the roads/tunnels. when they even consider a big name team coming here, they are counting on ppl from from all sides of the water. we all know it takes hours to go 45 miles in rush hour here, so how in the hell is thousands of ppl going to make it to the game with the terrible traffic we have?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well if that was the case most of the cities wouldn't have a team. Honestly I drive from Norfolk to Vabeach campus of TCC in the morning and work in Hampton so I really don't see traffic that bad here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, actually you seem to be the only one on topic at this moment :lol: . I agree, traffic issues may play a part in it but not much. There are areas that make our traffic problems look like a Sunday drive but they can still support a team. I think we can too. If we have enough community support people will be willing to make a trek to Norfolk to see a game.

I really do hope at least some sort of professional sports comes to the hampton roads area. I'm really looking forward to the ODU Football team. When does that start?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if they get the money raised in a year it will start in 2009. I can't wait either! Go monarchs! I will be going there in about 3 years!

The NSU/ODU teams should make for an interesting cross town rivalry. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Doesn't NSU have to get a football team first before a rivalry can begin. 2 wins in the past 2 seasons! A couple local high schools can beat them.

Edited by hoobo

You may be right about W&M and ODU. Hoobo, leave NSU alone :lol: . At least they have spirit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dude they suck! They laughed at the football team everytime I was around students and brought them up. They got a crappy program and they need to fix the school and infrastructure to attract some actual good football players.