PROPOSED: OneEleven Fountain (Fogarty Bldg.)

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
That corner looks very pedestrian unfriendly to me. Garages with no ground level retail kill the energy and excitement of urban landscape, even with a funky facade. That is how I feel walking down Washington St. from Kennedy Plaza to Trinity Rep. That long expanse of parking garage nastiness wrecks that street for me.

Facades, I was talking about the facades, not the inside, not the relation to the street, not if Pittsburgh is crap or not, just the facades.

This is a parking garage from Pittsburgh that someone posted in another section of UP.

It doesn't seem to have ground floor retail, but I think the facades are awesome (Brussat would likely have a stroke).

Interesting article from the underground paper The Agenda: http://www.agendanation.net/021/fourperspectives

They interviewed four prominent people from the community, including Friedrich St. Florian, about their thoughts on tearing down versus renovating the Fogarty Building and The Police and Fire Dept. Building.

Anyway, interesting perspectives for anyone curious.

Interesting article from the underground paper The Agenda: http://www.agendanation.net/021/fourperspectives

They interviewed four prominent people from the community, including Friedrich St. Florian, about their thoughts on tearing down versus renovating the Fogarty Building and The Police and Fire Dept. Building.

Anyway, interesting perspectives for anyone curious.

Thats a good article, I agree lets not tear anything down without firm plans, just look at New Haven for an example of demolition first, plans later.

I'm not a big fan of the Fogarty Building but couldn't the low walls along the raised podium been torn off and have a continuous set of 4 or 5 steps from the sidewalk up to the first floor (plus a handicap ramp or two)? Then maybe glass in at least part of the first floor portico?

Thats a good article, I agree lets not tear anything down without firm plans, just look at New Haven for an example of demolition first, plans later.

I'm not a big fan of the Fogarty Building but couldn't the low walls along the raised podium been torn off and have a continuous set of 4 or 5 steps from the sidewalk up to the first floor (plus a handicap ramp or two)? Then maybe glass in at least part of the first floor portico?

Archived