PROPOSED: OneEleven Fountain (Fogarty Bldg.)

The proposal looks like something straight out of "Downtown Providence 1970". Hopefully this is a really preliminary design.

Edit: Looking at the render it looks like it is primarily a parking structure. You can see the slanting floor levels through the mesh.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Given TPG's track record, I'm sure this is just a preliminary design - something to the extent of the E@B rendering we saw on the news. Must be for scope and size only. Then the design can be tweaked. I just can't imagine them putting up an ugly building... that's not how they roll.

I'm just going to scan through some of the public comment, I didn't comment as I thought everything that needed to be said was said.

• Commenter likes steel, likes brutalism, doesn't mind the modern design, but the design needs work, "it's just a box."

• Not a worthy replacement for the brutalist structure we would lose.

• Site has a huge impact on the city's Gateway from the west, should meet high design standards as a result.

• Historic enviornment makes city compelling.

• Replacing a historic structure with 'banal' architecture.

• Permits should be attained before demo allowed.

• Providence risks becoming just like everywhere else.

• Vacant building detracts from local business, wants redevelopment as quickly as possible (Rep. from Conv. Center speaking).

• Building should engage and enhance streetlife.

• Careful thought should be given to any demolision within the Historic District.

• Brutlism is a valid style worthy of preservation.

• Realigning Matthewson Street with itself should be investigated (this would require taking land from the Journal, TPG has discussed this internally, but has not approached the Journal).

• Why are we building more parking, do we even need it, we should focus on transit.

• Consider the orientation and scale of the building. The building should be at a human scale.

Planning staff called the design 'banal,' did not like the transition between the retail floor and the garage facade, does not like the screening, does not like the design of the retail level, and believes further traffic studies need to be done (which TPG tried to beg off when someone asked about it).

I'm just going to scan through some of the public comment, I didn't comment as I thought everything that needed to be said was said.
  • Commenter likes steel, likes brutalism, doesn't mind the modern design, but the design needs work, "it's just a box."

• Not a worthy replacement for the brutalist structure we would lose.

• Site has a huge impact on the city's Gateway from the west, should meet high design standards as a result.

• Historic enviornment makes city compelling.

• Replacing a historic structure with 'banal' architecture.

• Permits should be attained before demo allowed.

• Providence risks becoming just like everywhere else.

• Vacant building detracts from local business, wants redevelopment as quickly as possible (Rep. from Conv. Center speaking).

• Building should engage and enhance streetlife.

• Careful thought should be given to any demolision within the Historic District.

• Brutlism is a valid style worthy of preservation.

• Realigning Matthewson Street with itself should be investigated (this would require taking land from the Journal, TPG has discussed this internally, but has not approached the Journal).

• Why are we building more parking, do we even need it, we should focus on transit.

• Consider the orientation and scale of the building. The building should be at a human scale.

Planning staff called the design 'banal,' did not like the transition between the retail floor and the garage facade, does not like the screening, does not like the design of the retail level, and believes further traffic studies need to be done (which TPG tried to beg off when someone asked about it).

If only developers building parking garages could take a cue from the ones that were built in the 1920s such as Motormart in Boston or the What Cheer Garage on Benefit St. (now RISD studios). Parking garages don't have to be banal.

Edit: I forgot to add Auguste Perret's reinforced concrete garages in Paris, which are considered milestones in 20th century architecture.

If only developers building parking garages could take a cue from the ones that were built in the 1920s such as Motormart in Boston or the What Cheer Garage on Benefit St. (now RISD studios). Parking garages don't have to be banal.

Edit: I forgot to add Auguste Perret's reinforced concrete garages in Paris, which are considered milestones in 20th century architecture.

Archived