PROPOSED: OneEleven Fountain (Fogarty Bldg.)

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ground floor retail in parking structures rarely works well - yes, you can point to a couple of examples in Boston - but generally it is very difficult (and also drives up the costs of construction). I'm sure they guys will do fine with it, but it isn't easy.

Ground floor retail in parking structures rarely works well - yes, you can point to a couple of examples in Boston - but generally it is very difficult (and also drives up the costs of construction). I'm sure they guys will do fine with it, but it isn't easy.

I thought I would refresh everyone's memory on the latest proposal that went before DRC in April.

500 Space Garage - 6 Levels

"Roughly" 6 Ground Level Retail Stores on Fountain and Sabin Streets

Pre-Cast Brick Skin

Three Separate Facings

$30 Million

See Cotuit's Post #344 for the latest render.

TPG is asking DRC for preliminary demo approval. DRC will then review the construction plans if prelim demo approval is granted.

So what is "preliminary demo approval"?

I thought I would refresh everyone's memory on the latest proposal that went before DRC in April.

500 Space Garage - 6 Levels

"Roughly" 6 Ground Level Retail Stores on Fountain and Sabin Streets

Pre-Cast Brick Skin

Three Separate Facings

$30 Million

See Cotuit's Post #344 for the latest render.

TPG is asking DRC for preliminary demo approval. DRC will then review the construction plans if prelim demo approval is granted.

So what is "preliminary demo approval"?

DRC Approved preliminary demolition of the Fogarty Building. They reviewed the plans for new construction, but have some reservations on it, and would like to see a more daring, more modern, 21st century building at this location.

In other DRC news, J&W is putting a Starbucks on Chestnut Street.

They still need final approval from DRC on a design to get a building permit and a demo permit. DRC seemed hesitant on the current design, wanting to see something more modern, more daring, more 21st century at this location. We'll likely see the architect back before DRC next month. They also need a zoning variance for height, the proposal is 120 feet in an area zoned for 100.

The $25,000 per space estimate comes from an article in the Brown Daily Herald in which Andrew Miller, a parking consultant, is quoted.

From Brown Daily Herald dated 10/25/05:

Miller estimated that the cost of constructing parking downtown could run as high as $25,000 per space.

So what type of retail would work here? As much as everyone hates it, I think a franchise eatery would fit in nicely here, especially since we don't really have one downtown. Remember, we once had a McDoanld's across the street from this location. I think we could use another downcity. We can't be a totally upscale city. I think a clothes stores which appeals to the young would also do nicely here. Maybe a cell store and a coffee shop.

So what type of retail would work here? As much as everyone hates it, I think a franchise eatery would fit in nicely here, especially since we don't really have one downtown. Remember, we once had a McDoanld's across the street from this location. I think we could use another downcity. We can't be a totally upscale city. I think a clothes stores which appeals to the young would also do nicely here. Maybe a cell store and a coffee shop.

Archived