PROPOSED: OneEleven Fountain (Fogarty Bldg.)

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Preservation Society needs to stand back and let this one come down. They should instead play a constructive role on the design of a new building on the site. If they complain about the loss of the Fogarty Building, a dreary knock-off of Boston's City Hall with poor street relation, they will lose credibility when they have to advocate for truly valuable buildings.

i don't know if i'd blame the entire architecture style on the lack of interaction with the street. i'd say that's more a problem with the design of the building than what style was used.

Good job Cotuit. It is hard to figure out who reviles who in this town and keep it all straight. I hate it when Preservationists get blamed for stagnation... sure, it happens, and sometimes people can't see outside of that role, but for the most part, we (I guess I'll lump myself in as one of them) try to get it right. Replacing a bad building with another bad building in the heart of downtown, where there is little space left to build new without tearing something down of merit, would be a real tragedy.

PPS is right on this one, and fighting it for the right reasons. TPG will try to get away with the easiest, cheapest building if the public and civic groups let them. In Brussart's perfect world, there are no bad developers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Downcity Design Review Committee - Monday, July 9th - 4:30

Location: Department of Planning and Development, 4th Floor Conference Room - 400 Westminster Street near Empire.

Proposal by PRI XII, L.P. to demolish the Fogarty Building and to construct a parking garage

with ground floor retail. The DRC shall first render a decision on the preliminary approval for

the demolition of the building. If preliminary approval for demolition is granted, the DRC shall

then review the plans for the proposed new construction.

Archived