PROPOSED: OneEleven Fountain (Fogarty Bldg.)

So what type of retail would work here? As much as everyone hates it, I think a franchise eatery would fit in nicely here, especially since we don't really have one downtown. Remember, we once had a McDoanld's across the street from this location. I think we could use another downcity. We can't be a totally upscale city. I think a clothes stores which appeals to the young would also do nicely here. Maybe a cell store and a coffee shop.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So what type of retail would work here? As much as everyone hates it, I think a franchise eatery would fit in nicely here, especially since we don't really have one downtown. Remember, we once had a McDoanld's across the street from this location. I think we could use another downcity. We can't be a totally upscale city. I think a clothes stores which appeals to the young would also do nicely here. Maybe a cell store and a coffee shop.

In a town like Providence, with its multitude of awesome restaurants, its culinary school and its design school, the idea that we would be wishing for a mediocre chain restaurant anywhere in town but especially downtown is horrifying and downright nauseating.

If i was in charge, I'd make sure that there was a surcharge levied on every big chain restaurant within the city limits. that extra $ would go into a small business development fund to encourage small restaurants, bakeries, etc and help them get thru the first five years. Or it could go towards scholarships for inner city kids to pursue university studies in small business development or cooking. Or it could pay for after school programs in the same for kids who want to start working right out of high school.

While i realise the allure of "what people know" is appealing because it is an easy win, it continues to culinarily dumb down a city that is renouned for its restaurants. In addition, it dumbs down the design of buildings and interiors by allowing these chains to come in with their cookie cutter layouts and uninspired interiors.

blah. out of town big box, whether food service or retail is a sh*tty economic development tool and does nothing to make Providence a "destination" in anyone's eyes.

In a town like Providence, with its multitude of awesome restaurants, its culinary school and its design school, the idea that we would be wishing for a mediocre chain restaurant anywhere in town but especially downtown is horrifying and downright nauseating.

If i was in charge, I'd make sure that there was a surcharge levied on every big chain restaurant within the city limits. that extra $ would go into a small business development fund to encourage small restaurants, bakeries, etc and help them get thru the first five years. Or it could go towards scholarships for inner city kids to pursue university studies in small business development or cooking. Or it could pay for after school programs in the same for kids who want to start working right out of high school.

While i realise the allure of "what people know" is appealing because it is an easy win, it continues to culinarily dumb down a city that is renouned for its restaurants. In addition, it dumbs down the design of buildings and interiors by allowing these chains to come in with their cookie cutter layouts and uninspired interiors.

blah. out of town big box, whether food service or retail is a sh*tty economic development tool and does nothing to make Providence a "destination" in anyone's eyes.

who cares if they make a killing?! I don't. I care if Providence residents have meaningful jobs with futures and benefits. I care that Providence is a destination for tourists who come here for the design and the food, not for a big mac. If the Convention Center wants to have a McDonalds within its walls, that's its perogative, but anything on a street level in this city should be distinct and interesting and come in at different price points to appeal to all the different people who come here. I seriously doubt that we'll ever see on a message board somewhere, a glowing review of a freaking PANERA BREAD in downtown Providence as some place you simply cannot miss when in town!

To reply to both of your posts.. I dont know exactly every restaurant in the city.. but I do know that many RI'ers dont like change or trying new things... so having a familiar but popular + affordable chain steak house in the city would bring in a different type of customer... Keep building high priced eateries and you'll keep bringing the same type of person into the city.. or at least thats how it seems.

The only RI location of an Outback is in East Greenwich and the closest in mass is Seekonk. I just think it's the best option as far as mid-priced chains go.

I didn't say a fast food restaurant couldn't make it work in downtown. I just think that the place for such things isn't downtown. Once upon a time there was a burger king, a mcdonalds, several more dunking donuts, a few Subways, a Mister Donut and I can't even remember what else. My point continues to be that dumbing down the city with chains does nothing for the city except provide conventioneers with a familier place to eat, and frankly, they'll eat anywhere so wtf are we providing them with Burger Kings for? They can go to the mall if they are incapable or afraid of trying something that is not what they are used to. There's a damned bridge to the mall from the convention center, their feet needn't ever touch Providence soil if they can help it.

Do you really think that with the challenges that the city has for itself (the implied traffic and parking issue) that RIers will come from the suburbs to eat at an outback steakhouse, or a Panera Bread? Do you really think people will walk down from Atwells Avenue to get soup in a bread bowl or a blooming onion? Folks downtown are a captive audience, so let's give them something to want to come back for, rather than what they can get in their churned out same suburban "communities."

what does it say about the city that even a fast food joint can't make it downtown? i don't think it says that we have awesome food and no one wants to eat there. rather, it says that downtown can't support it.

Do you really think that with the challenges that the city has for itself (the implied traffic and parking issue) that RIers will come from the suburbs to eat at an outback steakhouse, or a Panera Bread? Do you really think people will walk down from Atwells Avenue to get soup in a bread bowl or a blooming onion? Folks downtown are a captive audience, so let's give them something to want to come back for, rather than what they can get in their churned out same suburban "communities."

Families with children tend to have a comfort with a familiar brand, a place where they know they can get a certain meal, or pay a certain price. I think the city should be able to offer a variety of QUALITY establishments that draw, keep, and please a variety of the public whether residents or visitors. I'm not focusing on Outback in particular, but Providence could use a little more 'familiar' brands to expand on it's incredible "unique" eateries. The market will determine who survives and who succeeds.

Families with children tend to have a comfort with a familiar brand, a place where they know they can get a certain meal, or pay a certain price. I think the city should be able to offer a variety of QUALITY establishments that draw, keep, and please a variety of the public whether residents or visitors. I'm not focusing on Outback in particular, but Providence could use a little more 'familiar' brands to expand on it's incredible "unique" eateries. The market will determine who survives and who succeeds.

go to the downtown of any major city and you will see a plethora of chain restaurants all over. there's a fridays in times square, there's a chilis in center city, philadelphia (just 2 of many examples). and there's also no shortage of fast food joints in any of these cities. does that mean that families with children only supposed to go to the mall?

Archived