Music City Center, 1.2 million sq. ft., $623 million

nashvol85

Thank you SupportMCC for your insight into this project. I'm really excited about it and definitely understand the step it takes to get to the final design. I have a degree in Architecture and one in Civil Engineering, so I definitely understand the process it takes to get to the final product. I never used my education in the real world because I decided to pursued a career in music instead. LOL...

I feel better knowing that 6th will be re-opened :) But will there be sidewalks as well within the tunnel?

Of course, it would be great to have both 6th & 7th open.. but i can see how that would be troublesome.

It is still a big box.. but at least its a big box that only really affects 1 street.

The picture you paint regarding natural light sounds very nice. And the loading docks sound awesome!

Hi SupportMCC! Sorry I'm welcoming you so late. Busy days lately.

I'm satisfied with the first draft. I think everyone will like it better when we see an actual rendering. Small models tend to not do the product justice IMO. If I had my wish though, I would make it a little more contemporary but that's just me.

Good job so far though!

This project is truly enormous. Overall, I like the concepts shown in the diagrams and models shown at the Music center Website (link below). The model shows two hotels at each end of the complex that I would guess would be 25 to 30 stories each. The Center is absolutely enormous....I would guess well over 100 feet high. I really think the Convention Center as envisioned will be a great success.

MCC Design

This project is truly enormous. Overall, I like the concepts shown in the diagrams and models shown at the Music center Website (link below). The model shows two hotels at each end of the complex that I would guess would be 25 to 30 stories each. The Center is absolutely enormous....I would guess well over 100 feet high. I really think the Convention Center as envisioned will be a great success.

MCC Design

I agree. Nashville will be at the top of the "A" list for conventions, now.

It seems like a main problem with the design lies in residential use. However, convention centers are not built for residents but for visitors. Thus, most convention halls are a "big box" of some sorts. It would have been grand to shed the cliche of the boxy design for visitors and see the grass roots effort of a large plaza with the convention halls built underneath into the grade. However, this does not seem to be possible due to the water table and/or loading concerns so the designers have chosen to proceed in a different direction. I am glad to see that a lot of thought is going into the building and public insight whether good or bad is welcome.

So with that being said, for those of us concerned with making this a city center we need to let Amanda and whoever else we can talk to (architects, other MDHA people, etc.) know. If we can't change the "boxiness" design, I think we can have influence over surrounding areas. Now I know very little about all the details of the project so I may say some stupid things :). If we can surround the building with residential delights, then we can avoid some of the problems a large project like this can cause. It boils down to cutting off blocks of the city with little activity and bland concrete walls which have befallen some parts of the city. Now I know the building cannot probably be perfect in all aspects (there will probably be an area of little activity just due to the nature of the purpose of the building), but we can at least voice our concerns to make sure this doesn't get totally overlooked. I also understand this is still preliminary.

So Amanda if you could please pass along the concerns for surrounding development that would be great. In order for the surrounding neighborhoods to grow certain development will spur this along better than others. For example, if the surrounding area is designed and developed to welcome residents and visitors alike, then the area south of downtown will more than likely see development for residential living and commercial (shopping, eating, etc.) uses. Specifically, if say another entertainment district is proposed along KVB with outdoor cafe's and a plaza like feel to the street then both residents and visitors can use the area (this is just an example other things can be done as well). Once again I do not know the details of the design (I promise I will look more into when I get the time) so I do not know if this is possible and feasible. Also, I do not know how much can be done due to private ownership of land of the surrounding area. Once again, please pass this on Amanda and thank you for your hard work and everyone else's (I think I got my point across and sorry for the long post).

At 1.2 million square feet, this will put Nashville's convention center in the top 10 largest in the country. Although convention attendance is down at all major conventions across the country, by the time this center comes online, hopefully the economy will not be so challenged. The addition of the hotels is also a big plus. I actually find the design quite pleasing in terms of convention centers. They really are quite utilitarian in nature yet this one seems inviting. There appears to be an arena across the street from the proposed convention center. This is always helpful as it adds additional space when that facility is not occupied.

I like it so far. Let's make it work Nashville!

I hear a lot of people say we couldn't put it underground because of the water table, but what about all of the underground parking in Nashville?

I really wish they could find a way to make it a city center. Surely there's a way to "un-box" this thing. After saying that, I'll say this...for a box, it's pretty nice.

It's really difficult to unbox a convention center if you consider the main purpose of the facility. Large conventions seek out large swaths of continuous space. These conventions can easily transform a large square/rectangular space than if can a laybarith. If you look at the top five convention centers (in terms of exhibit space and revenue), they are all big boxes relatively speaking. Usually in convention centers, function trumps form. McCormick is, in my estimation, the most handsome of the behemoth convention centers and it too is a big box. You will draw greater revenue for useable and easy to convert space. The more useable space, the more conventions you have....that's why the top performing convention centers are constantly adding space in square or blocks.

At 1.2 million square feet, this will put Nashville's convention center in the top 10 largest in the country. Although convention attendance is down at all major conventions across the country, by the time this center comes online, hopefully the economy will not be so challenged. The addition of the hotels is also a big plus. I actually find the design quite pleasing in terms of convention centers. They really are quite utilitarian in nature yet this one seems inviting. There appears to be an arena across the street from the proposed convention center. This is always helpful as it adds additional space when that facility is not occupied.

I like it so far. Let's make it work Nashville!

Thanks for the optimism from Atlanta! Although most of us are really looking forward to the new MCC I did want to clarify a point in your post. The overall facility will be 1.2 million square feet and the actual exhibit hall will be 370,000. this will not put the MCC in the top 10 or actually even close to that position. The tourism industry in Nashville took a god hard look at what business they felt the could reasonably attract with another million square foot facility in town and after they did their due dilligence, the answer was the proposed MCC. It will allow the city to go after 80% of the available business instead of the 20% they are presently marketing to because of the size of the current facility. Many cities are currently faced with the fact that they have overbuilt their centers and I believe Nashville is making the smart move by not biting off more than they can chew.

How did the meeting go? Big turnout?

The meeting went well. We had a great turnout - it was in the meeting room at the Adventure Science Center and it was at standing room only. The Mayor and a couple Councilmen were there also.

We didn't have the small group discussions this time, just a Q&A session with the full group. There were some great questions and got some more good feedback. You can view updates from the meeting on our Twitter page too: twitter.com/SupportMCC

New Convention Center to Move Businesses

Businesses other than the Musicians HOF will be affected.. will they have assistance with relocating?

WSMV says those affected include: Rocketown, Tennessee Electric Motor Company, and Nashville Autohaus

Actually the Musicians HOF, Greyhound, Signal Specialty Metal, BBE, Christies, John Kohl, The design guy at 8th and Lafayette, in addition to those listed above and probably a couple of others I can't think of off the top of my head.

It should be interesting to see how this is handled. For instance, what does the Museum do for the next three years while the MCC is being built if they choose to go into the facility?

Wow.. that does sound nice. Although I think the residential might be stretching it a little.

If they somehow found a way to leave 7th open, it seems like they wouldnt be too far off.

I'm very interested to see what happens to existing commercial tenants, and also now wondering what buildings we might have the potential to lose.

AND it talked about private sector development. So far the only issue not on this list are the 5th and 8th street sides. 5th will most likely be the anchor hotel side so there will be obvious retail development along with that. The corner of 8th and KVB will potentially be a roundabout and that end of the building could house the Musicians Hall of Fame (they are now in discussion) so some movement there. A park is also on the board for the current Baptist lot (with underground parking below) and ALL sidewalks on ALL sides are being widened to 25 feet. There are retail buildouts on KVB on the plans and drop off locations on Demonbreun, 5th, and in the middle of the facility on 6th. The Arts comission was at the last meeting wanting to work on public art displays in and around the facility so unless they just do away with the exhibit hall I am not sure what else they can fit on that site.

You left this part out...

"Integrating a convention center into a (soon to be) surrounding neighborhood has

several ramifications. To the extent possible, liner buildings of high density mixed-use

should be developed by the private sector at the perimeter of convention center blocks."

Contextually, I believe your quote was related to ancillary development not the much ballyhooed liner facilities. I guess it's convenient to say it's up to the 'private sector', when as best I can tell, there are NO provisions in the design for this now or at a later time, but really what's the problem, most of the other recommendations / conditions in the equivocating NCDC report have been dismissed or ignored. Hasn't stopped the PR folks from claiming the CDC's unconditional stamp of approval at every opportunity. Is that really being forthright with the public?