Overnight Onstreet Parking

eltron

You're missing a central democratic principle here. WE are the city. Public property is owned by the PUBLIC, i.e. US. It is paid for with OUR money, through taxes. The "City" is just the administrative body us citizens have hired to manage our resources. Our elected officials or city departments don't have the right to do crap, unless we direct them to. If they use our resources (money, land, whatever) in ways we don't like, we have the right to fire them. You're calling that idea Communist. But the idea that some body of people called "The City" owns land and controls resources, and does what its wants with them regardless of us little people's needs or wants is called Feudalism (or maybe Kleptocracy?). Is that what you mean by the "Libertarianism" you are always spouting about?

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did not read her post that way.. Nor do I think it was intended that way.. It was "4-5+ car parking should be taxed as commersh, not residential".. My guess as a backwards way to "encourage" green space..

All libertarians to you liberals are closet republicans.. I get it, its old hat.. Any person who is a complete libertarian is an anarchist.. Do I think anarchy is the best form of govt? No.. I'm a realist..

TheAnk- Who is this "they" who owns this stuff? It's not a matter of our different personal philosophies about taxes, etc. It is a matter of the way it actually IS. These properties DO belong to the public, if your philosophy says they should, or not.

Liber

Lets start a new topic.. Where is Cotuit when you need him..

I think our gov't is controlled by special interest groups at the fringes of the population.. And the rest of us, the middle class, pick sides based on which of these fringe group's set of beliefs may mimic some of our own... There is no party of the middle class, and it is fascinating to me.. The democrats get votes, and the republicans get the others.. Yet neither of them represent us, they simply fight over ways to spend our tax rolls, on people other than us..

Your "generally have no problem with libertarians" statement is valid, using your belief that government property belongs to you..

I just don't happen to agree with that.. To me, its not about personal freedom when it involves public property.. And putting that in print really hammers it home..

If I want to lie naked in the middle of Atwells Ave every day I don't have the right.. Why? Because it is public property.. My personal right to be naked doesn't matter on public property.. Because as gorgeous as I may think I am, there is most certainly SOMEONE who disagrees... Naked = on street parking.. You may like it, I may not.. And while its an extreme analogy, please try to imagine a naked Ank next time you want to park on the street from 1-5AM..

For that matter, lying naked on your private driveway isn't really legal either, if the whole block can see you. I think jencoleslaw would agree with me on that.

And either way, her post was probably aimed just as much at the people charging 10 bucks an hour to park in the lots downtown, and aren't paying taxes on that money, as it is at landlords who pave the postage stamp yards of their houses as parking, or knock down brick schoolhouses for the same purpose.

This meeting is to address a petition from Pratt Street. A majority of residents on Pratt have agreed that they would like to try a one year trial for premit parking.

A Public Forum on

Overnight On-Street Parking

Wheeler School on Monday, November 19

from 7-8:30 PM.

Join us at the annual Fall open meeting of the

College Hill Neighborhood Association

All College Hill residents are encouraged to attend!!!!

Is overnight on-street parking appropriate for some or all of College Hill? Several pilot programs are operating elsewhere in the city. How would resident permits be issued? Would students be eligible? How would street cleaning, snow removal, or garbage removal be affected? Would resident permitting be enforced to prevent illegal parking by non-residents? How would overnight parking affect the availability of daytime parking? Whether you're for it or against it, come learn more about the subject and make your feelings known. Councilman Cliff Wood will be on hand to hear your comments!

This meeting is to address a petition from Pratt Street. A majority of residents on Pratt have agreed that they would like to try a one year trial for premit parking.

A Public Forum on

Overnight On-Street Parking

Wheeler School on Monday, November 19

from 7-8:30 PM.

Join us at the annual Fall open meeting of the

College Hill Neighborhood Association

All College Hill residents are encouraged to attend!!!!

Is overnight on-street parking appropriate for some or all of College Hill? Several pilot programs are operating elsewhere in the city. How would resident permits be issued? Would students be eligible? How would street cleaning, snow removal, or garbage removal be affected? Would resident permitting be enforced to prevent illegal parking by non-residents? How would overnight parking affect the availability of daytime parking? Whether you're for it or against it, come learn more about the subject and make your feelings known. Councilman Cliff Wood will be on hand to hear your comments!

Below is an update from Kari Lang at the WBNA. There is only one week left to gather signatures for this petition drive. She is especially looking for some signatures in the Hammond/Harrisoin/Divion/Bridgham Street area.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello signataure gatherers and permit parking proponents,Last week Councilman Lombardi held a meeting that included representives from the Mayor's office, the Department of Public Works, Traffic Engineering, the Department of Planning and Development, and the WBNA. The meeting went extremely well. It was confirmed that Councilman Lombardi can use bond money to pay for the pillot program which is one huge hurdle down! John Murphy from City Hall agreed to contact the police and fire departments to get their position/level of support with regard to the pilot resident parking program. Also discussed was the boundaries of the pilot program. I asked if there was any possibility of expanding the area from what the city had previously outlined. It seems that an expansion could be possible IF there are signatures of residents on that street. An expanded area could even cross ward lines from one city council area to another IF both councilpeople are on board and there are signatures. I am to get John Murphy a map that highlights petitioners signatures and that will be used in determining if the pilot area can be expanded. Finally, I asked about the timeline? Councilman Lombardi said he felf the program could be in place by the spring! So good work, everyone! Please continue getting signatures if you still have some to gather. I do not want to hold the process up so would like to get the map to the city soon; however, I would like to give you all a chance to potentially get your street included in the pilot area. So could everyone have signatures to me by November 30th.

Thanks!

Kari, WBNA

West Broadway Neighborhood Association

1560 Westminster Street

Providence, RI 02909

www.wbna.org Phone: 401-831-9344

Fax: 401-831-0388

Email: [email protected]

Yes, your multifamily property loses value if you removed your off street parking.. You will find staunch allies, however, on these forums, who whole heartedly disagree with me..

If you said to me:

"Ank, I have a single family home that has a yard that is paved.. And... I actually planned a pretty nice little Saturday... I'm going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some sod, maybe get a water feature, maybe some outdoor lighting, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."

I'd say:

"Nice.. That will improve the value"..

Yes, your multifamily property loses value if you removed your off street parking.. You will find staunch allies, however, on these forums, who whole heartedly disagree with me..

If you said to me:

"Ank, I have a single family home that has a yard that is paved.. And... I actually planned a pretty nice little Saturday... I'm going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some sod, maybe get a water feature, maybe some outdoor lighting, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."

I'd say:

"Nice.. That will improve the value"..

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone still thinks the parking ban facilitates snow removal, I'd like them to explain why the side streets are still so f890ed up, about 18 hours after the last snowflake wafted down from the heavens. If anything, the only places that are clear of snow are along the edges, where cars were parked!

Urb

If anyone still thinks the parking ban facilitates snow removal, I'd like them to explain why the side streets are still so f890ed up, about 18 hours after the last snowflake wafted down from the heavens. If anything, the only places that are clear of snow are along the edges, where cars were parked!

Urb

The area by me was littered with parked and abandoned cars during the storm(s), and now most streets are barely one way streets due to snowbanks that used to house parked cars.. Very interesting how differing perceptions of the same scene can be interpreted..

The area by me was littered with parked and abandoned cars during the storm(s), and now most streets are barely one way streets due to snowbanks that used to house parked cars.. Very interesting how differing perceptions of the same scene can be interpreted..

how about the fact that near me right now (near PC), there are no cars parked on the sides of the road and they didn't even plow to the curb. there's nowhere to park on the side of the road right now because they didn't plow the whole street. anyone who says that the parking ban helps it is just making up excuses.

other cities do not seem to have issues with having parking bans on certain sides of the street (or certain streets) and towing the cars that are left there. why should providence be any different.

the only thing the pro-parking people are saying is that having no cars on the street does not mean better plowing. they didn't plow to the curb in most locations that i've seen, including atwells, which depends on the parking for the businesses.

Well said yossarian.. Its an argument that cheapens the good points people make re: parking.. It will 100% have an effect on plowing.. Because the city sucks already does not mean they will suck less if there is on street parking.. They will suck more at plowing..

There are good points to on-street parking; increased quality of life, houses and areas without parking become more appealing.. Maybe even an increase in residents who own a car move here.. And that guy can build his "wicked sweet" yard where he parks his car now.. Also, there is something to be said for a city strewn with cars on street, a bit of vibrance comes along with it...

But please.. Leave snow removal out.. Just accept that this is a big negative for on street parking and move on.. You don't have to win every battle to win the war.. Snow removal is a bad battle to pick..

And claiming that other cities don't have problems with snow.. Another bad row to hoe.. Perhaps more ridiculous that Point A. I know people that have shed blood over parking in Boston.. These are your guaranteed losses.. Accept them, and build your pro-parking argument without them, around them..

My street was finally plowed at 8PM Sunday night for the first time since the Thursday snow.. Remarkable.. Thats a response time of what, 72 hours? I think I could have shoveled the whole street with a wax coated dixie cup during that time.. Its a small street but still.. Ok, maybe like a whole package of dixie cups..

Archived