Overnight Onstreet Parking

eltron

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply
there are plenty of people who would like to live in providence, even if they don't work here, who need their cars, but have a hard time finding a place to live here because they have to do something with their car. it's unfortunate and really stupid that they end up choosing to live elsewhere.

Ok, I'll explain my personal take, aside from the pro-parking vs archaic ban argument..

Lets say Patrick Ward can rent a 2 bed for $600 with no parking in the Valley section.. Next door, I get $800 with 2 off street spots... Remove the parking ban, those rents blend toward the middle, and we would both net around $700.. It is not terribly crowded there; the convenience of off street parking to parking in front of the house does not maintain the same rent disparity as a house with no parking vs a house with off street parking..

With multifamily housing, rent to cost is the driving value factor for rational people.. On-street parking effectively takes away my competitive advantage with rents, lowering pptys' rent ratio, therefore lowering REAL value..

Thats 100% going to happen.. if my rent was 800, 800, 800 in a 3 decker and is now 700, 700, 700.. The value of the house goes down.. Patrick Ward's value goes up..

Personally, this is my sole reason for being anti-on street which I have stated from day one... Its simple economics.. Maybe the city is better off, maybe it is more convenient for people.. But the bottom line is.. It takes money directly out of my pocket in rent and therefore underlying value..

There really is no arguing this.. My rent will not go up with my competitive advantage removed.. The over all convenience of on street parking does not make the overall rent go up.. It simply transfers value from those landlords with parking, to those who currently don't..

Or as Gordon Gekko so eloquently stated: "It's a zero sum game, somebody wins, somebody loses. Money itself isn't lost or made, it's simply transferred from one perception to another."

So.. Aside from the ongoing banter pro vs. con.. This is how this directly affects me.. Personally..

A person with a car who would want to live in Providence would rent an apartment with parking vs an apartment without parking.. Would you agree or disagree with this ruchele and run-jim..

This is my whole point.. You say they would leave the city, I say they would move to an apartment with parking..

A person with a car who would want to live in Providence would rent an apartment with parking vs an apartment without parking.. Would you agree or disagree with this ruchele and run-jim..

This is my whole point.. You say they would leave the city, I say they would move to an apartment with parking..

I have unskilled, ample parking.. You barely even need to be sober to park there I swear.. I paid for it to be that way, this is my point.. Thats all I have said from day one..

Ward, I'm not taking their side of view... I simply said it was good that there is a voice for the non-pro on street parking folk.. Not that I agree with the voice or its reasoning.. Its just that I don't have the time or motivation..

There is nothing more annoying to me than liberal minded folk talking down to opinions other than theirs.. I'm a rube to ruchele.. Why? Because she doesn't agree with me.. I get lumped in with the old guard here, which KILLS me... I'm a back water imbecile who apparently stands at exit 22, toothless, with a "Get the heck out of my city" sign to all ye who may enter.. And a crushed up, coin filled Dunkin Donuts cup, for good measure..

I don't believe in status quo.. If I did I wouldn't have bought in Olneyville and invested time and effort in a hood I believe in... You may hate it, but the city would be better off with more Wards and Anks.. We care, we offer nice housing to city resident families, not vagrant college students..

Its just in THIS instance, I would appreciate the status quo.. To you, its a flick of the pen, bam, on street parking.. To other people, it could be a bit more meaningful than a convenience issue similar to having in house laundry machines.. Thats all I am saying..

What I would do is what I have done. Pay my cheap rent for a place with no parking, pay $25 to the lady down the street to park on her lot, and then pay the rest of my bills with the extra $175 you would have charged me for an apartment with parking.

If it convenient for you to fabricate situations to make your points ruchele, by all means do it.. You have off-street parking, then you don't.. Rent is cheaper, then it isn't.. Whatever..

I on the other hand, do not fabricate.. Just tellin it like it is.. Hate away.. But at least I'm honest..

Regarding jen's point.. Wow.. Speechless..

If it convenient for you to fabricate situations to make your points ruchele, by all means do it.. You have off-street parking, then you don't.. Rent is cheaper, then it isn't.. Whatever..

I on the other hand, do not fabricate.. Just tellin it like it is.. Hate away.. But at least I'm honest...

jen's post was simply saying that people who own parking lots and sell spaces are performing a commercial business. they are not providing housing with parking for that apartment. under her suggestion, the lots would be taxed in line with commercial property rather than residential (or whatever they're taxed at now). it would make it uneconomical to tear down a house to build parking and charge $25-50 a month for spaces while paying lower taxes.

your libertarianism doesn't make any sense. you seem to pick and choose which laws are ok and which are not, though they all affect personal rights.

as you said, streets are PUBLIC. they are "owned" by the city, who makes their money off of taxes paid by us. in effect, the taxpayers own the streets. so yes, we do have a right to park on them, but the laws affect our right to park in them. it's obvious your wannabe libertarian stance is just a guise for your selfish nature. you don't care as long as you come out on top. forget personal responsibility, whatever puts money in theank's pocket is what you're in favor of even if it affects the rights of the citizens.

I did not read her post that way.. Nor do I think it was intended that way.. It was "4-5+ car parking should be taxed as commersh, not residential".. My guess as a backwards way to "encourage" green space..

All libertarians to you liberals are closet republicans.. I get it, its old hat.. Any person who is a complete libertarian is an anarchist.. Do I think anarchy is the best form of govt? No.. I'm a realist..

Every once in a while, I forget that most of the posters in here are extreme left wing when it comes to scope.. Posts like jencoleslaw's about inexplicably taxing personal land/property reminds me in spades.. Her post is borderline Orwellian fascist under the guise of higher-than-thou communist-liberalism, but is greeted here with widespread acceptance..

Archived