Overnight Onstreet Parking

eltron

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely.. He doesn't want to have to pay for his tenant's parking.. He bought a 3 fam for 255k.. That price, no matter how you slice it, was for a house without parking..

Keep in mind that this is an entirely selfish personal rant.. And if things were different timing wise, I'd be all for on street parking (except on hilly streets like Atwells seeing cars skid up it sliding out of control into curbs in the snow is a car owners NIGHTMARE, especially with the lack of insured motorists)..

But the bottom line is this.. Guy comes down from Boston, buys house, possibly short sightedly without parking, and agrees to pay for parking @ $25 a spot as his "tenant tax".. This "tax" allows him to charge full rent, renting apts "with parking".. Now, much like an illegal easement can cease to exist, his did.. The other owner exercised his/her right to build a lot.. simple.. There's no evil villain here.. The facts of his case changed.. Now he can either only charge 600 instead of 900 for a 3 bed, or get a less favorable tenant due to no parking.. So he has what he paid for now.. A house with no parking..

Disclosure: I looked at this house on Health, once to buy in 2002 but didn't because it was horrific there in 02, and noticed it for sale again, at what appeared to be an early foreclosure sale in 2005 from the buyer from 2002.. (I'm not sure how someone can foreclose after 3 years. buying a place at 150k and listing for 280k, but I've seen stranger things..) The reason I didn't the 2nd time?? Not economically feasible @ offer price sans parking.. Rent ratio not there.. And yes I see entirely way too many houses and am far too interested for my own good, bordering on OCD..

Its really cut and dry.. His sweetheart parking deal went away.. Otherwise there would be no petition.. Put that in your pipe and smoke it..

for what it's worth, i also seem to remember him saying that he hadn't even been renting out the other apartment yet as he was renovating it.

he's also said that he will continue his fight for permit parking even after his neighborhood gets it. i don't know... his intentions definitely seem genuine here.

I love it, love the discussion.. Just remember, like I said, this is the only reason I disagree with on street parking.. Personal investment made by rules present at the time. And also cars in snow banging into other cars on Atwells up hill..

Cotuit, while you are an urbanite who values a walkable city, and I'm sure there are more of you around.. The vast majority of car-less people in this city don't work and/or are on gov't assistance.. My apologies for not being clear, and also for that generalization, no matter how perfectly true it is..

I just find it interesting how the UP'ers are on this guy's side because he spits his game @ WBNA meetings, yet are staunchly against other capitalist selfishly motivated entities doing things purely for personal gain.. I just fail to see the difference, thats all..

Sincerely,

The Ank

Hopefully changing the world, one Apple Consumer at a time

I just find it interesting how the UP'ers are on this guy's side because he spits his game @ WBNA meetings, yet are staunchly against other capitalist selfishly motivated entities doing things purely for personal gain.. I just fail to see the difference, thats all..

Sincerely,

The Ank

Hopefully changing the world, one Apple Consumer at a time

What an interesting little discussion I've bumped into on this one. I look away for a day or two and look what happens :o

However, it all seems like a non-argument..considering The Ank has admitted that he has no real broad basis or rationale for why the parking ban makes any sense. That is, aside from the fact that he personally may have paid extra $$ for a property with parking and that extra value may not be there any longer if street parking is eventually allowed. It just seems like another homeowner contributing to a draconian system because they're already invested..and has nothing to do with the broader good of the city/community. I don't know this WBNA fellas story/motivation nor do I care to..its the right cause.

The parking ban is bogus, poor urban planning and needs to be taken away with all the other old school Providence (sorry Buddy but please keep a low profile). The Ank even stated in an earlier post that it is nothing more than a money generator. However its really a money maker with no legs to stand on. If my car is a hazard on the street at 3AM then it should be a hazard at 3PM. Certain areas may not allow parking at any time. And I've got a parking spot. but if someone visits from outta town I have to explain that their car may be ticketed for reasons that have no basis..Welcome to Providence!

This WBNA fella has the right idea..whether or not his motives are altruistic I couldnt care less. And I'm not even gonna touch The Ank's broad generalizations and stereotypes about the carless. Why bother..esp in this forum..

just for the record, i don't think the guy is affiliated at all with the WBNA, he just spoke at a meeting.

also, while the parking ban is a money maker, it has also already been said that more money could be made with a permit program. not only do you have money from the permits, but you still get money from the tickets on cars that are parked without permits. it's a win-win for the city.

true to that, true to that..

i didn't get to touch upon the mentioned permit program before i pulled the trigger. of course, there should be a permit program..which i'd gladly buy at least one visitor pass for.... then at least the city is saying, "The rule is you need to have a permit to park your car on certain residential streets because street parking is for official residents of the city..and their guests." I could live with that. Right now what they're saying is "We don't really know why you or anyone can't leave your car at night. We just know we need to sponge up more money from our valued residents. Please stay in Providence..this is how we value your presence here in our fine city."???!

Of course implementing would have to go street by street...and would be a long tedious process.. as certain commercial streets like Atwells and nearby streets would need enough non resident parking to support their businesses...

However, it all seems like a non-argument..considering The Ank has admitted that he has no real broad basis or rationale for why the parking ban makes any sense. That is, aside from the fact that he personally may have paid extra $$ for a property with parking and that extra value may not be there any longer if street parking is eventually allowed.

There's no anger ruchele.. Part devils advocate maybe, but more selfish capitalist, thats all.. I admit it.. Onstreet parking negatively affect me.. But other than that, I'm basically for it.. I dont think people will all of a sudden tear up the parking lots and plant grass either.. It may stop the future paving, but I don't think the beauty of green space will out weigh the convieniece of on lot parking for most.. Sad but true

I also think that with the city/state's uninsured motorist problem that on street parking could cause problems.. Libertarians are about personal responsibility.. Since alot of the PVD citizens have none, I am a realist.. But this isn't about my hair-brained pie in the sky theories on politics and government..

For all intents and purposes, I'm for a residency sticker with proof of residency, at a yearly fee, with certain restrictions for things like "street cleaning" and "plowing".. But these things are only rumored to exist, and I have no personal proof they do in fact exist.. Increased towing and booting for people who disobey parking laws..

Back to personal responsibilty, I don't think theres enough, so on street parking by permit only may actually produce more income, as I highly doubt our citizens, for the most part, are diligent enough to actually get a sticker unless the stick punishment is severe enough..

Back to personal responsibilty, I don't think theres enough, so on street parking by permit only may actually produce more income, as I highly doubt our citizens, for the most part, are diligent enough to actually get a sticker unless the stick punishment is severe enough..

Archived