Overnight Onstreet Parking

eltron

I think Jen is right, have another initiative that puts pressure on to incentivize greenspace. But adding more volume for parking ain't gonna get that done.

Landlords have paymasters just like everyone else, especially those with a conscience, don't become too convinced that your cause is the only one that is noble...that's how we all get into trouble.

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Jen is right, have another initiative that puts pressure on to incentivize greenspace. But adding more volume for parking ain't gonna get that done.

Landlords have paymasters just like everyone else, especially those with a conscience, don't become too convinced that your cause is the only one that is noble...that's how we all get into trouble.

If i lived in PVD and worked for an enviro non profit I'd apply for a grant from one of the big green funders to do a study/pilot project that would give mini grants to homeowners to tear up their parking an install green space. maybe I'd even integrate it into the agency's programming, where the folks doing environmental job training do the work to create green space and, and/or permeable hardscape...

I know this has the chance to devolve into Hitler/fascist/communist rhetoric, so I apologize if I've said anything that has personally offended anyone, I certainly respect everything Patrick and runawayjim are doing and their ideals, and I don't mean any of this personally. But it does frustrate me that landlords are considered less than human, it really doesn't do justice to the complexities of the initiative, the interested parties and getting it passed.

Rip up pavement for permeable surfaces - yea, it is a good idea. Obviously I think adding extra parking is a zero sum for the environment (but it sure would be nice if other folks admitted it :) ), but if it was coupled with other incentives for tearing it up, than it wouldn't be. Hopefully it would be sustainable. And man it is so sad Jen doesn't live here any more she kicks butt.

I agree market pressures should determine rent. Where I am coming from is that the market right now is set up where the city has determined that parking overnight is not allowed, and that is the market. You are talking about changing those ground rules, but you seem to be arguing from a position that it is a god given right to park on the street, and I just have been conditioned by Providence too long to accept that as fact - as are many residents who oppose it.

I think it is a ridiculous regulation, but put yourself in their shoes for a second and tell me you wouldn't act the exact same way?

I know this has the chance to devolve into Hitler/fascist/communist rhetoric, so I apologize if I've said anything that has personally offended anyone, I certainly respect everything Patrick and runawayjim are doing and their ideals, and I don't mean any of this personally. But it does frustrate me that landlords are considered less than human, it really doesn't do justice to the complexities of the initiative, the interested parties and getting it passed.

Rip up pavement for permeable surfaces - yea, it is a good idea. Obviously I think adding extra parking is a zero sum for the environment (but it sure would be nice if other folks admitted it :) ), but if it was coupled with other incentives for tearing it up, than it wouldn't be. Hopefully it would be sustainable. And man it is so sad Jen doesn't live here any more she kicks butt.

I agree market pressures should determine rent. Where I am coming from is that the market right now is set up where the city has determined that parking overnight is not allowed, and that is the market. You are talking about changing those ground rules, but you seem to be arguing from a position that it is a god given right to park on the street, and I just have been conditioned by Providence too long to accept that as fact - as are many residents who oppose it.

I think it is a ridiculous regulation, but put yourself in their shoes for a second and tell me you wouldn't act the exact same way?

The market is determining the rent hence the premium.. jkletzien, all landlords are lumpy dufflebags and slumlords..

Although, I at least appreciate the distinction that I am a RESIDENT slumlord and not a ABSENTEE slumlord.. So I got that going for me, which is nice..

I'll take this as a small victory in the good fight

This was a joke, right??? Mrs TREE LADY DRIVES A HUMMER.. Someone please pinch me!!!! to quothe the great bald guy from the smashing pumkpins:

"today is the greatest.. day I've ever known"

:rofl:

I am waiting for the inside joke to reveal itself.. Mrs Green Space owns a Hummer.. OH THE HUMANITY!!! LOLOLOL

The city is in the business of collecting taxes, not being a green space.. All that green stuff is ancillary benefits as long as the ship is moving.. Since duffle-lords pay these exorbitant taxes based on exorbitant ppty values, that is a concern.. Drop in ppty prices = drop in ppty taxes..

As cruel and unfair as it may seem, a renter doesn't directly pay taxes to a muni other than excise (fraction of ppty tax).. So as you stated, they kind of don't matter to our glorious city government.. Even though they will give lip service until blue in the face, they are lying.. Tax dollars matter.. Happy renters do not..

So since the city can collect ridiculous muni tax, they probably don't give a s#$^ about a measly $25 monthly pass and a bunch of happy green-ers..

Cold hard reality we live in.. So other than the points talked about above ad infinitum, a decrease in ppty values whether or not we agree on it, whether or not it is real or perceived, will be a genuine concern.. That means less tax dollars.. And in light of a muni financial crisis that has yet to see the impending collapse of ppty values affect the current taxation, you can be 100% CERTAIN that they aren't going to do anything to lessen the already shrinking tax base..

I think that making on street parking a reality will actually make the city more desirable for some, which has the potential to bring more middle class families back to the city, thus increasing the tax base and keeping property values healthy.

Property values may go down, but valued property won't go down until there is another revaluation, and I'm not sure when that happens. So even if your house is worth less than it was last year, you're still paying taxes based on the last revaluation.

Multifamily property values are directly based on rents... I kindly and respectfully disagree..

I don't know if the net effect on resident influx would be positive... That infers that right now a lot of people specifically do not reside in PVD due to lack of parking.. By that rationale, rent for apartments with parking would hold a significant advantage over apts with no parking, as these people who would flee PVD would stay at my apartment and shun Pat Wards place.. Would you agree?

Would this make for a material difference in service offered between the two places? And I am supposed to buy into the fact that by taking this market away from me would not drop rent and therfore my property value??

Since we all agree that people most likely won't tear up paved yards and plant a "sweet lawn", but it may prevent further paving.. AND, in order to reverse the past paving you want to TAX me for offering parking.. I'd say that this plan basically take us and bends us over.. Not once, but twice..

Personally pre-resident slumlord, I have had both apartments with and without parking.. It was a minor nuisance to not have a spot, well worth the drop in rent for the rationally thinking Ank... As a landlord though, it seems that people wholeheartedly disagree with me..

I drive my Hummer to Tree Lady's house every night then take the Acela home (hitting as many dogs as I can on the way) to my home in Providence. If only I could park on the street in Providence I wouldn't have to drive to Vergina to park and kill dogs with the Acela.

Oh well.

Archived