Overnight Onstreet Parking

eltron

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So the city is only able to address one issue at a time? Trash can't be collected the same day speeding tickets are issued? Potholes can't be fixed while parks are maintained? Schools can't be run when fires are put out, and parking can't be regulated as violent crime is addressed?

It seems that these statistics are not available. All ticket revenues gets put into the "general funds" category which makes accountability rather difficult. If there were someone in charge of the city's parking infrastructure, and to the best of my knowledge there isn't, these would be excellent figures to track.

There was no point really.. It was an off topic post probably misguided.. Just a sad event in my area that puts these things in perspective.. We yap about these minor things and the banter is enjoyable, but there are some major issues in our city..

Fox Point Neighborhood Association will discuss Permit Parking at their next meeting.

Last month I spoke at the FPNA board meeting. The reception I got was cool but polite. Regardless, I have been asked back to speak at their general membership meeting next week. I am told this is the most well attended meeting of the year.

If you live on the East Side and have an opinion about this issue please try to attend this meeting.

Time: 7:00 pm

Date: Wednesday, October 24th

Fox Point Neighborhood Association will discuss Permit Parking at their next meeting.

Last month I spoke at the FPNA board meeting. The reception I got was cool but polite. Regardless, I have been asked back to speak at their general membership meeting next week. I am told this is the most well attended meeting of the year.

If you live on the East Side and have an opinion about this issue please try to attend this meeting.

Time: 7:00 pm

Date: Wednesday, October 24th

Does this petitioning street-by-street.. six-block-by-six-block area.. strike anyone else as inane as it does me?

What is wrong with the City Council in Providence that they can't come up with some formula that would generally please 80%-90% of the people?

Based on some sort of population density threshold, you determine whether or not a street is eligible for overnight permit parking... in this way, areas like Grotto Avenue (which probably doesn't want overnight parking, and doesn't need it) would not qualify whereas highly dense areas where there is more likely a shortage of housing would qualify...

Measure the street, if it's big enough, two sides are available for parking. If it's smaller, only small side is permitted. If it's below a certain width, no parking is allowed regardless of density. These determinations should probably coincide with whatever daytime parking is currently allowed. However, this being the government we're talking about, that is not necessarily a safe bet.

For further consideration, consider issuing permits to vehicle owners not property owners... only to RI-registered cars if residents around the universities fear the streets being overrun... if you want to be even more strict, only issue them to Providence-registered cars to punish those people living in Providence but having their cars registered in other cities to pay lower excise and insurance rates.

*sigh*

They way people get around the plowing issue in Boston is martial law.. Putting cones or chairs or trash cans in "their spot".. If you park in that spot, you can fully expect to be keyed, or maybe walk to your car in the AM and find a delicious slice of bologna on your fender to strip away paint.. Or tires slashed.. Thats a pretty bad example of a system working..

There has been nothing but bad publicity from Boston regarding on street parking during past winters.. Kind of surprising that would be used as a feather in the PVD On Street Parking's cap..

They way people get around the plowing issue in Boston is martial law.. Putting cones or chairs or trash cans in "their spot".. If you park in that spot, you can fully expect to be keyed, or maybe walk to your car in the AM and find a delicious slice of bologna on your fender to strip away paint.. Or tires slashed.. Thats a pretty bad example of a system working..

There has been nothing but bad publicity from Boston regarding on street parking during past winters.. Kind of surprising that would be used as a feather in the PVD On Street Parking's cap..

Ruchele, its perfectly related.. If cars weren't in streets, there would be no OK Corral redux over spots that were shoveled out, staked and claimed as territory..

jim, I was born in Somerville.. I will agree that in Somerville and parts of Cambridge there is not an issue, as it is borderline suburbs there.. But in Boston Proper, there is most definitely this stuff going on.. And way more than reported.. The only places that make the news are Southie where class struggle is rampant.. Sort of like O'ville in PVD, but 7 years along further in the process.. I've lived in 5 places in Boston, all different hoods.. One thing was constant.. Bloodlust battles over parking spots..

Ruchele, its perfectly related.. If cars weren't in streets, there would be no OK Corral redux over spots that were shoveled out, staked and claimed as territory..

jim, I was born in Somerville.. I will agree that in Somerville and parts of Cambridge there is not an issue, as it is borderline suburbs there.. But in Boston Proper, there is most definitely this stuff going on.. And way more than reported.. The only places that make the news are Southie where class struggle is rampant.. Sort of like O'ville in PVD, but 7 years along further in the process.. I've lived in 5 places in Boston, all different hoods.. One thing was constant.. Bloodlust battles over parking spots..

CRPP is having a fund raiser/parking summit next month. We plan to invite the Mayor and the entire City Council to the event. The purpose of the fund raiser is to buy more lawn signs. The lawn signs have been very effective at raising awareness about this issue and we are getting requests for them from all over the city.

We are asking for $10.00 donations. Our goal is to raise enough money to buy 500 signs (around $800.00). With all the support we have I don't think it will be difficult. Please spread the word to your friends and neighbors about this event.

This is a great opportunity for supporters from all over the city to get together and share there experiences regarding the parking ban. Also, we can discuss different strategies to keep the momentum going. Hopefully we can get some media attention at the same time.

Time: 6 to 8 pm

Date: Wednesday, November 7th

If anyone would like to donate but can't make it to the event they can mail a check to:

Friends of CRPP

14 Health Ave

Providence, RI 02908

Sorry, CRPP is not tech savvy enough for paypal yet.

Thanks for your support!

Patrick

PS: I fully expect a $50.00 donation from The Ank.

I'm open to suggestions as to how cars parking on the street in Boston and owners fighting over spots they had to shovel out is unrelated to city managed plowing..

To me, if there were no cars on street there would be no shoveling and therefore no fighting over myspace.sno spots.. But fire away ruchele.. I could be wrong

I'm open to suggestions as to how cars parking on the street in Boston and owners fighting over spots they had to shovel out is unrelated to city managed plowing..

To me, if there were no cars on street there would be no shoveling and therefore no fighting over myspace.sno spots.. But fire away ruchele.. I could be wrong

Archived