Overnight Onstreet Parking

eltron

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply
enforcement should have never stopped being an issue anywhere in the city. if there are laws, they should be enforced. if you park overnight anywhere in the city, you get a ticket (unless you're in washington park and have a permit). while i realize it's not feasible for the cops to hit every street, they should be making a concerted effort to hit as many as possible as often as possible and randomize the others.

Jim I am seeing a big use of the word "should" here. While I agree with you, we all know that its follow through that is such a huge issue in PVD. Maintenance and enforcement are so difficult for us for some reason. And the lack of these will drag down participation and render programs ineffective.

I also think that with the city/state's uninsured motorist problem that on street parking could cause problems.. Libertarians are about personal responsibility.. Since alot of the PVD citizens have none, I am a realist.. But this isn't about my hair-brained pie in the sky theories on politics and government..

Hello Mr TheAnk,

I don't believe your comments are intended as a personal attack and I am not angry but I would like to resond anyway.

Yes everything does happen for a reason. I never claimed to be a peoples champ or do gooder. Whenever asked what motivates me I always start by telling the story about the parking lot we lost in my nieghborhood. I have nothing to hide. I also truely believe in preserving whatever residential green space we have left. I will not pave my backyard. We had some great cookouts last summer and my tenants kids have a safe place to play.

The parking ban is stupid. It's anti resident. It works against the Mayor's policy to expand the middleclass and thus increase the tax base. The money they make on parking tickets is peanuts. I am not a community organizer but it struck me that given enough time and effort the program in Washington Park could be expanded.

Regarding my house, horrific is a strong word but it was in bad shape when I bought it. After 14 months of hard work and lots of $$$$ the house is great. Gutted the kitchens and baths. New plumbing. Did all the hardwood floors by myself (go me) 17 rooms. New paint and siding. You should come by sometime and see. I am a live in landlord, I have been fully occupied for a year, my tenants are happy and I get good rents.

Thanks to all of you that support the issue. And your right its not about me.

Patrick

Patrick, I do the same thing you say you do, fix houses, offer nice apts for families of lesser income.. I think that there are hard working families struggling a little bit where we live who deserve a nice place to live.. A niche that doesnt exist in large supply.. It wasn't an attack on you, rather a modus for discussion for the group.. You will see that by having my opinions in the "political middle" that most on here view me as a cross between Hitler, a polygamist mormon and Pat Robertsons purported illegitimate son.. I hope, but cannot confirm, that none of this is true.. I will say this, thanks for fixing a house in the area.. But I'm not for the onstreet parking, for reasons described before..

I also think most of you live in respectively well to do hoods where personal responsibility and pride are more abundant.. Its sad to say that in our area, this is more of an exception to the rule, sporadic pride mixed with blatant disrepect of thy neighbor..

A good example: On Atwells down between Academy and Valley someone actually crashed a car into a house recently.. No exaggeration. Mucho damage.. It sounds oh so convenient for this discussion, but I couldn't even make that up..

Also, to note: at another rental house, on a side street on the N Prov border.. My tenants friends get ticketed all the time.. Multiple offenses get upped to $100-150, per occurence.. Which is substantial.

It is a nicer area, with less crime.. Less activity for police.. Therefore, more parking tickets, more enforcement.. Very much unlike Mt Pleasant/Olneyville, where I'm pretty sure you can drive around with no license plates, no inspection sticker, or a functioning exhaust system, completely hammered and not even draw a look from the popo..

i don't even know why i'm replying to you... but here goes nothing.

have you been to the neighborhoods listed in people's profiles? i live on federal hill, admittedly in a nice apartment. the people next door to me were living outside in a tent for a while (i don't understand why, but they were... with their TV and all). i see/hear accidents almost every other week on dean street and federal street because of stupid drivers. i don't consider where i live to be an upper class neighborhood. many of the people posting here live on federal hill or in the armory district. they aren't what i would call upper class neighborhoods (though they aren't olneyville either).

i'd say parking on the street would be good for the lower class neighborhoods.

I also think most of you live in respectively well to do hoods where personal responsibility and pride are more abundant.. Its sad to say that in our area, this is more of an exception to the rule, sporadic pride mixed with blatant disrepect of thy neighbor..

A good example: On Atwells down between Academy and Valley someone actually crashed a car into a house recently.. No exaggeration. Mucho damage.. It sounds oh so convenient for this discussion, but I couldn't even make that up..

i feel like every trip i take in my car in the state of RI basically results in witnessing at least one act of blatant stupidity behind the wheel. no matter where i am... park ave in cranston (by my work) has been a real hot spot for ridiculously bad driving..

I guess some posters here just want the poor to stay poor by making it impossible for them to park their cars without paying extra, a kind of penalty for living in a tenament neighborhood, rather than a single family neighborhood with a driveway. Places like Olneyville also shouldn't have telephone poles, or bus shelters since uninsured illegal drivers high on crack will just drive into them right? Maybe neighborhoods like that shouldn't have streets at all--make it illegal for them to even own cars since they are just going to wreck them, and other people's too, right?

I think TheAnk should run for mayor. He's sure to get the minority vote.

Mothra, I'm not even going to address your comment, other than to address the fact that I'm not going to address your comment..

There was a shooting on Wisdom, fatally this weekend.. I think this onstreet parking thing, while good for discussion, can be easily put in perspective by something like that.. More police please says the Libertarian Ank.. Wisdom is relatively far away from me and mine, but its close enough..

There was a shooting on Wisdom, fatally this weekend.. I think this onstreet parking thing, while good for discussion, can be easily put in perspective by something like that.. More police please says the Libertarian Ank.. Wisdom is relatively far away from me and mine, but its close enough..

Archived