Overnight Onstreet Parking

eltron

Be thankful for the problems you have.

On three-sides, the setback on my house is either zero or a negative number. The tiny yard out back is landlocked. No parking of any kind. The street outside the house is marked as 2-hr parking because there's several restaurants, etc. that want the street parking. But those closed down, oh, 20 years ago, so enforcement is non-existent.

Except one reopened 3 years ago, another reopened a few months ago, and another will open in a couple months. I know that if the city starts to enforce the parking regs, I'll have to rent a space somewhere.

And that - being forced by the success of my neighborhood to have to buy parking because everybody wants to be here - would be a great thing.

Of course, the whole thing could be solved by something as simple as issuing parking permits for local residents as I understand they do in a great many thriving and successful cities already.

But that's another conversation.

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:P

Well here's the thing.. Its far more inexpensive to live here than Boston or NY.. The rent ratio in PVD is more in favor of renters and "low income" newbies to the work force.. The problem with them leaving has little to do with parking and everythnig to do with J.O.B.s.. You can really afford a 1 bed ($500-600) in moderate hoods on a pretty low salary.. Boston that same 1 bed is ~1200, NYC, ~1800..

More jobs, less braindrain.. More jobs, more people with dough to spend.. Then when our local economy is teeming with life from college grads staying to be working young professionals we can focus on things like green space and playing Enya over loud speakers throughout the city.. But until we attrect jobs there are other things that demand our attention first..

I just personally consider the bones of an economy (jobs, working folk, good pop increases) more important/pressing than a paved yard and on street parking..

And I am a resident slumlord with off-street parking too, so...

I think it is a bit of a chicken/egg thing. I mean which comes first--quality of life so people move here and get jobs and open restaurants and stores, or the other way around? I would never move somewhere crappy with horrible housing and no green space, but twice i have moved to beautiful communities and looked for jobs and opportunities when i got there. There has to be a reason for people to come here for jobs and i think quality of life is a huge part of that reason.

I would be interested to see what the proportion of #BR housing stocks are here as opposed to these other places, but since this typically ranks as a bad city for singles (despite the fact my wife and I met here, but we always buck the trend) my sense is that we don't have the single and studio numbers most other North East cities have.

Obviously I do believe that the density of the housing/lot size, the type/era of housing, and the proportional area for parking perpetuates the problem as conversions to 1br, and studios are neer impossible unless you pave the whole yard - which even I, Jeremy "Tar" Macadam, don't like. You put in more parking and then these at least are possible.

The jobs are actually my main concern, 6 of the last 9 people we've hired have had to come here from somewhere else (Phoenix, Nashville, Kansas City, etc...) while our competitors in NY and Boston don't have to look beyond their own zip code to fill their seats. I know one is an immediate problem, and I'm looking to the city for a long term change of direction that will maybe yield results in say 20yrs, but you know I'm selfless like that :) .

Obviously the jobs are crucial and the number of jobs our studio has to offer ain't going to make a big dent, but if the infrastructure (housing stock, social environment, etc.) isn't all that friendly to people in that age range than they go elsewhere, and it is a problem if that is who you are trying to hire. I wonder how many transplanted Fidelity, Amica, and CVS employees live in the city now, and my bet would be they almost all live in places like Rising Sun, Corliss Landing, Monet, Imperial Knife, and the like. Not in the soup w/ the long time denizens because there are so few comfortable one bedrooms w/ parking scattered within the city. Changing the parking regs would help, not overnight (pun intended), but it would at least set out a welcome mat throughout the city for this population.

Yes, I am a business owner and a landlord. On the plus side, I drive a emissions free vehicle powered by Orinoco Flow.

I would be interested to see what the proportion of #BR housing stocks are here as opposed to these other places, but since this typically ranks as a bad city for singles (despite the fact my wife and I met here, but we always buck the trend) my sense is that we don't have the single and studio numbers most other North East cities have.

Obviously I do believe that the density of the housing/lot size, the type/era of housing, and the proportional area for parking perpetuates the problem as conversions to 1br, and studios are neer impossible unless you pave the whole yard - which even I, Jeremy "Tar" Macadam, don't like. You put in more parking and then these at least are possible.

The jobs are actually my main concern, 6 of the last 9 people we've hired have had to come here from somewhere else (Phoenix, Nashville, Kansas City, etc...) while our competitors in NY and Boston don't have to look beyond their own zip code to fill their seats. I know one is an immediate problem, and I'm looking to the city for a long term change of direction that will maybe yield results in say 20yrs, but you know I'm selfless like that :)

Yes, I am a business owner and a landlord. On the plus side, I drive a emissions free vehicle powered by Orinoco Flow.

The jobs are actually my main concern, 6 of the last 9 people we've hired have had to come here from somewhere else (Phoenix, Nashville, Kansas City, etc...) while our competitors in NY and Boston don't have to look beyond their own zip code to fill their seats. I know one is an immediate problem, and I'm looking to the city for a long term change of direction that will maybe yield results in say 20yrs, but you know I'm selfless like that :)

PC is run by the dominican friars (the only college that is run by that order). the reason i was told is money. i guess it's been brought up before in the past (like the 70's or 80's). i think it'd be a great fit with the way the student like to argue with me, but i guess it wasn't economically feasible at the time.

they just started a school of business and will be building their business majors, which is a step in the right direction considering that aside from education, business is by far their biggest department. i'm hoping that once that gets going, they'll work with the city to get some financial companies to come here (or maybe get fidelity to keep their office in providence).

I have a question to everyone that has very little to do with parking, but this thread has veered so..

Are there ANY GOOD elected or appointed government officials? I'm not even just making noise here, I'm dead serious.. As an outsider, it seems to me that a government official is either "old boys club back deal handshake wink-wink" member or a "crazy out of touch with reality pie in the sky liberal" loon.. I want to have faith that there are at least a few GOOD gov people.. Please instill this sense to me if you know of any...

I like Cicilline and Carcieri.. I think they are both doing good for our city and state, regardless of how the special interest groups on each side react to their cuts and changes.. Thats two.. Everyone else, it seems, is not worth a grain of salt.. But I can be convinced otherwise.. This guy Terrence Hassett seems to have a foot in his district and says the right things, he makes sense to me.. Anyone else good?

Caveat: If anyone says Patches Kennedy is good it will immediately discredit anything they ever write, in any post, ever.. At least to me..

i used to like cicilline. and carcieri has some great ideas with regards to the state employees and trying to save money. other than that i think he's a bit out of touch with the people of the state.

jack reed is a good government official in my opinion.

Archived