Overnight Onstreet Parking

eltron

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

The way the on street permit parking works in philly is like so:

1. You can only get one if your car is registered and insured at the address. (this would eliminate college kids who have their fathers insurance back at home, which would probably be the majority of the "problem" while allowing working providence residents the ability to park on the street near their homes)

2. There is a zone system which is pretty broad but prevents people who would live say in wayland from parking for free downtown.

3. It's only $20/year and you don't have to limit yourself in leasing/buying options just because there is no off-street parking associated with your living situation.

4. Parking on the street allows for the already minimal private greenspace/yards to remain.

Just my 2 cents.

The way the on street permit parking works in philly is like so:

1. You can only get one if your car is registered and insured at the address. (this would eliminate college kids who have their fathers insurance back at home, which would probably be the majority of the "problem" while allowing working providence residents the ability to park on the street near their homes)

2. There is a zone system which is pretty broad but prevents people who would live say in wayland from parking for free downtown.

3. It's only $20/year and you don't have to limit yourself in leasing/buying options just because there is no off-street parking associated with your living situation.

4. Parking on the street allows for the already minimal private greenspace/yards to remain.

Just my 2 cents.

• 2 weeks later...

Gah. Lemme add another illustration of the issues that arise when people have no choice but to park offstreet.

In the past weekend's Nor'easter, a tree dropped a branch onto a tenant's car in the back yard of the house next door to mine. Wrecked the door and window on the passenger's side.

The car's owned by a 21-year-old J&W student who lives next door -- a great kid, and a good neighbor. I'd noticed a relatively small dent in his car's roof the morning after the storm, and when I saw him out there looking at it, I went out to commiserate with him. It was then that I found out that his door had been trashed too.

This would be a job for his auto insurance -- except that, being a relatively broke college student, he doesn't have comprehensive. Since the tree the branch fell from is just on my side of the boundary, his (absentee) landlord isn't inclined to help at all, but apparently would rather toss the problem back at me.

Yeah, I know that the kid should have had comprehensive coverage, but at his age and in his financial situation, that can be tough to spring for. He takes the bus to school, but he needs a car to get to his job, as well as the other things people use cars for.

It doesn't help that his car shouldn't have been parked there in the first place. There is a 4-legal-spaces paved lot next door to me, constructed in 2005. It currently has seven cars parked in it each and every night. Immediately after the lot was finished by the then-owners,the property was sold to a pair of absentee landlords from Boston.

The relevant ordinance (sec. 704 under "Building and Development" in the zoning ordinance, if I'm not mistaken, but that's off the top of my head) states that no parking is allowed on unpaved areas, period. The poor kid's car was parked in an unpaved space off to the side of the "real" parking area, at the behest of his landlord. Ironically, I'd had that tree trimmed over the lot next door just to be sure that nothing like this would occur once people parked there. My primary objective was to get branches from the same tree away from my house (squirrels were trying to get in), but just out of courtesy, I had the overhanging branches trimmed while the guy was up there. Irony on irony, this latest incident would not have happened if parking had been restricted to the paved part of the yard -- if they hadn't told him he should park on the dirt, if they weren't overparking in that yard.

But overall, things like this wouldn't be as likely to happen if this dumb ol' town would stop clinging to the 1929 idea that, in 2007, all the cars in town are going to somehow fit in people's side and back yards until every available scrap of land is paved. For five precious hours out of every twenty-four hour day.

Another illustration was that I had to rent a car for a week when our car was laid up for repairs recently.

If we had an extra car, I wouldn't have had to do that (I'm working in Worcester these days -- not ideal, but it got to the point where I'd pretty much take anything I could get, and that's what I got). But we don't, so I did.

Also, that means that Meg can't take a job where she has to drive to work, as long as I have this job. Phooey.

Urb

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a point to ponder which I thought about in reading the posts about Municipal Parking garages vis a vis the law barring them in Providence and surface lot owners. Do you think that the abundance of surface lots is driven by the fact that many business people view them as one of the only ways to make money in the city? I also feel that the political traction to tax surface lots, or any underutilized lot, at a higher rate than other properties will be be slim unless other options are presented for businesses or property owners to invest their resources in other ways. In other words, mobilization from surface lot owners against higher taxation will be a powerful force in the face of new legislation. Everyone, including political leaders and legislators, have talked about how surface lots need to be built on but no action has been taken and I feel my aforementioned reasons are the cause.

My point is this. In my opinion, unless the city's economic outlook improves, the chances will not be good for infill on the surface lots downtown.

Here is a point to ponder which I thought about in reading the posts about Municipal Parking garages vis a vis the law barring them in Providence and surface lot owners. Do you think that the abundance of surface lots is driven by the fact that many business people view them as one of the only ways to make money in the city? I also feel that the political traction to tax surface lots, or any underutilized lot, at a higher rate than other properties will be be slim unless other options are presented for businesses or property owners to invest their resources in other ways. In other words, mobilization from surface lot owners against higher taxation will be a powerful force in the face of new legislation. Everyone, including political leaders and legislators, have talked about how surface lots need to be built on but no action has been taken and I feel my aforementioned reasons are the cause.

My point is this. In my opinion, unless the city's economic outlook improves, the chances will not be good for infill on the surface lots downtown.

• 2 weeks later...

I live on the East Side and am heading to the airport tomorrow at 4AM. My car is on the street right now and I don't want to move it into the driveway and deal with getting blocked in and waking people up to juggle cars. I decided to see how long I could leave my car on the street and tried to find the parking regulations. Well, I know you can't park overnight but the only thing I could find was the overtime parking fine rate of $15 for 1am - 7am. I found plenty of info on how to pay a ticket, and could even pay online. I also found info on parking permit pilot programs. But for the life of me I can't find online anything that tells me I can't park. I know the law but for the life of me I can't figure how a new resident is supposed to figure this out unless someone tells them or they get a ticket. I did note that the city of New Providence, NJ has their parking rules online, can't park from 2-6am.

Does anyone know where the parking regs are?

I live on the East Side and am heading to the airport tomorrow at 4AM. My car is on the street right now and I don't want to move it into the driveway and deal with getting blocked in and waking people up to juggle cars. I decided to see how long I could leave my car on the street and tried to find the parking regulations. Well, I know you can't park overnight but the only thing I could find was the overtime parking fine rate of $15 for 1am - 7am. I found plenty of info on how to pay a ticket, and could even pay online. I also found info on parking permit pilot programs. But for the life of me I can't find online anything that tells me I can't park. I know the law but for the life of me I can't figure how a new resident is supposed to figure this out unless someone tells them or they get a ticket. I did note that the city of New Providence, NJ has their parking rules online, can't park from 2-6am.

Does anyone know where the parking regs are?

I've heard that in case of certain circumstances (like if you have visitors or need to access your car at 4 am) if you call your local police substation in advance and let them know where the car will be, they will generally be nice about it and not ticket the car (as long you aren't doing it every other day).

There was a post here a while back that indicated the rule wasn't online -it's a Traffic Engineering rule so it's not in the code of ordinances or otherwise accessible by mere mortals.

I've heard that in case of certain circumstances (like if you have visitors or need to access your car at 4 am) if you call your local police substation in advance and let them know where the car will be, they will generally be nice about it and not ticket the car (as long you aren't doing it every other day).

There was a post here a while back that indicated the rule wasn't online -it's a Traffic Engineering rule so it's not in the code of ordinances or otherwise accessible by mere mortals.

Archived