The Village at Sandhill

StevenRocks

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Atlanta Bread Company has closed...i had a feeling it was only a matter of time...that place had the worst service ever! (Panera will probably take its place, its better anyways). Also, Grilled Cheese has closed. They had the worst location though, on the far North Springs side of Bi-Lo....it wasnt really visible cuz another building blocked the view from North Springs road. Meanwhile, Village Bistro has opened,

I agree - this Atlanta Bread Co.'s location's service was consistently awful. Seemed like it was run by indifferent managers and clueless teenagers. It deserved to be closed. One thing I've noticed & read is that Atlanta Bread Co. tends to have single franchisees, rather than requiring multi-location franchisees (which is what Panera does). This tends to attract less qualified investors/operators and because of that I've noticed inconsistencies in service and menus between different Bread Co.'s. I agree that Panera is what we need and is a superior operations with consistently friendly, prompt service.

I agree that the Grilled Cheese was in an awful location - no restaurant can survive without location and visibility, especially if it's not a well-known name. Who wants to hunt around the corner from Bi-Lo for grilled cheese? Italian Pie, which is in the same building but facing the main "front" with Bi-Lo, is probably doing much better (and Italian Pie has FAR better service than Bread Co. or even may of its competitors in the area).

We went to Village Bistro a couple of weeks ago - we had a good experience with food & service. Kudos to the Pontiac House of Pizza folks for opening this place in Sandhill.

• 2 weeks later...

The State reports that the first phase of the condos at the Village is nearing completion. Three furnished models will be available for viewing during an open house 5:30-8 p.m. on tomorrow. Starting prices for one-, two- and three-bedroom units range from $189,900 to $450,000. and the condos range from 750 to nearly 1,500 square feet. At full build-out, there will be about 160 condos in the development.

I wonder how these have been (pre) selling so far?

Who on earth would pay that much money to live in a man built pretend fairy tale city environment, waking up to loud obnoxious teenagers who are begging their mommy to buy them those $29 jeans from American Eagle?? I am so disappointed in Kahn......the main artery in the front consists of a closed Atlanta Bread Co. and off brand stores such as Acorn, Pendleton, and other stores that don't ring a bell. I'm still trying to figure out why that sand lot next to Books A Million is still there....I mean is it meant for kids to play kickball on it or something? There is just about every single bank at VAS except for a Bank of America! The one bank that should've opened there from the beginning! And what's up with all these empty stores that when you look through them you see Christmas decorations (the giant xmas tree balls)?? Isn't that kind of tacky? The stores cater to 80% women, and 19% children/teenagers.....where are the stores for men? Jos A. Bank.....what if I dont need a suit.....AE/Aeropostale....what if I don't fall in the 12 yrs-21 yrs old range? Come on Kahn Development....start bringing more variety and better quality tenants and stop bringing off brand stores!

i think they may have to lower the price a little bit but i dont think that they will have that many problems selling. consider the condos/apartments being built in harbison by columbiana.

I'm not sure living over retail has a big pull in Columbia; look at Renaissance Plaza on Lady Street. To me its the equivalent of having a condo in the second floor of Columbia mall. Not really too apealing.

I don't think it has as much to do with the concept of living above retail. The retail at Renaissance Plaza and at VAS are like night and day. I'd expect the condos at VAS to do better, since the retail offerings are greater and more diverse (and I think the condos themselves are cheaper, if I'm not mistaken). Come to think of it, are there any businesses at Renaissance Plaza that could be considered retail? Two that I can think of off the top of my head include an Allstate office and a beauty salon.

I'm not so sure these condos would sell better than the ones at Renaissance Plaza. RP is already downtown and near the Vista as well as other places that are easily accessible via walking, cab, bus, etc. VAS is in the burbs and if one wants something other than VAS they'll have to drive. VAS is more secluded than RP is.

It's also weird for one to want to buy a condo for 400k when they can get a home with more sq. footage in the same area and just drive 5-10 mins to VAS.

It's also weird for one to want to buy a condo for 400k when they can get a home with more sq. footage in the same area and just drive 5-10 mins to VAS.

Or better yet, buy an 1800 square foot home for less than half the price and drive. 5-10 minutes. I don't get it at all, but different strokes for different folks, I reckon.

I'm not so sure these condos would sell better than the ones at Renaissance Plaza. RP is already downtown and near the Vista as well as other places that are easily accessible via walking, cab, bus, etc. VAS is in the burbs and if one wants something other than VAS they'll have to drive. VAS is more secluded than RP is.

But most people live in the 'burbs, and the Northeast is arguably the fastest-growing part of the metro. I'm pretty sure there are some people who want the no-hassle condo lifestyle without having to live downtown. People like seclusion (i.e., subdivisions, gated communities, etc.). You've probably just inadvertently convinced five random people in Columbia who just happened across this thread to seriously look into purchasing a condo at VAS, LOL.

Or better yet, buy an 1800 square foot home for less than half the price and drive. 5-10 minutes. I don't get it at all, but different strokes for different folks, I reckon.

I downsized from Forest Acres to RP (one of the inner units, not a live/work) a year ago so I'd like give my perspective.

You can definitely get more square footage for the money elsewhere but, for me, being near most everything I need (work, groceries, dining, usc, entertainment, shopping, gym, river, etc) is worth the price premium. I pretty much walk everywhere except on the days when I have offsite meetings at work or to go to Target every few weeks. Its super easy to get groceries -- you can *walk* to Publix, buy a few items, and return in less than 15 minutes (or save a few minutes and drive). Its also safer in some ways in that I can enjoy a few drinks out with dinner and not worry about driving after drinking. There's no yard and house maintenance to deal with either so I can spend more time doing more enjoyable stuff (yes, some people love doing yard work). The mortgage/rent is higher but some of our other costs have been reduced: we sold our 2nd car recently b/c we never used it, we buy gas about once every 3-4 weeks, our electric usage is lower and we have more free time. In many ways I have a healthier lifestyle in that I walk so much and have lower stress levels.

It really just depends on what attributes you value more about your house: location, size, convenience, price, etc. Personally I value location and convenience more than size. For me personally, living in the Vista has been a huge lifestyle improvement but I seriously doubt that living in VAS would be anything like living in the Vista.

though some people may not like the idea of living at VAS, i could see many young families moving there instead of a house in a suburb. i think its more likely a family would move here than renaissance plaze, which is sad but i think its mostly for the schools and location to stores and such. a more diverse group of people would move into these condos if and when the office part of VAS gets off the ground. also the VAS gives off a town vibe even if its just another version of the mall.

I don't think young families would be more likely to move into condos period, whether at VAS or Renaissance Plaza--especially in the South, where SFR still largely dominates.

I agree. Evidence for this is that there are three main demographic groups at Renaissance Plaza: retired couples with older children that have moved out, working professionals with no kids in their late 20's through late 30's, and college students.

Archived