The Village at Sandhill

StevenRocks

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, so i wasnt sure if there was a topic on Sparkleberry Plaza but that place is jinxed. The Sumo placed burned down (they are rebuilding it now), the Putt Putt Center closed, Cold Stone closed, Za's Pizza closed because of underage drinking, and D's Wings from what I heard is closing because the managers are Coke heads and the checks that they were giving the employees would bounce! 7 of them are working at Applebee's now. Just an update! lol

There are too many cheap furniture stores at Sandhills. The surrounding area has a fairly high average income; I think an upscale furniture retailer would do well.

What stores did you have in mind? Were you thinking of a chain like Restoration Hardware, Crate & Barrel, Pottery Barn, etc.? Or something more independent and/or local? Would Whit-Ash, for example, ever consider an additional location? The upscale chain stores seem to want to stick to metros with 1 million+ in population with relatively large, cohesive upscale residential sectors. Charlotte just got their first Crate & Barrel at SouthPark Mall, for example. And while the surrounding area does have a fairly high average income, you would probably need several more Wildewood/Woodcreek-type neighborhoods to create a critical upscale mass (unless you could convince a retailer that it could pull customers from further away, like Arcadia Lakes, Kings Grant, etc.).

• 3 weeks later...

Kind of Off subject; the Gold's Gym on Two Notch will be moving in a brand new state-of-the-art facility further down Two Notch past the Clemson Rd. bridge in 2009. I wonder why they didnt choose to be at VAS? I knew it was only a matter of time before they left that rotty place it's in now....

What stores did you have in mind? Were you thinking of a chain like Restoration Hardware, Crate & Barrel, Pottery Barn, etc.? Or something more independent and/or local? Would Whit-Ash, for example, ever consider an additional location? The upscale chain stores seem to want to stick to metros with 1 million+ in population with relatively large, cohesive upscale residential sectors. Charlotte just got their first Crate & Barrel at SouthPark Mall, for example. And while the surrounding area does have a fairly high average income, you would probably need several more Wildewood/Woodcreek-type neighborhoods to create a critical upscale mass (unless you could convince a retailer that it could pull customers from further away, like Arcadia Lakes, Kings Grant, etc.).

Well if I had my druthers it would be Ligne Roset :) (yes, impractical, I know, but I love their furniture); I really don't think of Crate & Barrel or Pottery Barn as being upscale furniture stores. Something along the line of the dearly departed Storehouse would be nice. The Bohemian has opened a furniture gallery on Devine where Storehouse used to be and it is, by far, my favorite furniture store in Columbia. I couldn't see then opening a second store in the suburbs, though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Village at Sandhill was a finalist for the International Design and Development award, judged by the International Council of Shopping Centers. The Village at Sandhill was up against shopping centers from around the globe, including some of the toniest locales in Tokyo, Hong Kong, Mexico City and Atlanta. Judges lauded The Village for its ability to attract people not just by offering more than conspicuous consumerism, but also with entertainment, dining, living and in the not too distant future, office work opportunities.

It's still suburban in its style, no doubt (complete with big boxes surrounded by a sea of asphalt)--but at least inside the development itself there's a self of quasi-walkability. I was impressed just with the amount and variety of shopping options.

I like the Village at Sandhill. Although it has a sea of parking around the development, the inside is definitely walkable and has a nice feel to it (especially for the people who live in the condos there). While certainly not an urban project fit for a city center, it's a good development for suburbia. The only drawback is how far out it is. Yikes.

One of the pro's of this style of development is that its designed so that at some point in the future its density can be intensified. So its very suburban now, but in theory it could become denser later. Its a nice concept, but how it works out remains to be seen.

I agree. I imagine many of the surface lots one day becoming garages, adding to the density of the area. :camera: maybe eventually making it a town center like area for the NE. The only thing that may take away from that is the Killian Crossing Development, which is planned to be even larger, :shok: in addition to the other sprawl projects. But I think it is a great addition for the area.

As always I must add that I am still waiting for some progression on the Shoppes at Lady Street.... :whistling:

I agree. I imagine many of the surface lots one day becoming garages, adding to the density of the area. :camera: maybe eventually making it a town center like area for the NE. The only thing that may take away from that is the Killian Crossing Development, which is planned to be even larger, :shok: in addition to the other sprawl projects. But I think it is a great addition for the area.

As always I must add that I am still waiting for some progression on the Shoppes at Lady Street.... :whistling:

I thought the Shoppes on Lady Street were a part of the Hiller Hardware reconstruction, which is progressing quickly.

Archived