Lil' Rhody Lounge | Off-topic posting

Cotuit

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Supposedly the experts say the population of the USA will reach 300,000,000 this morning.

cnn.com has a population clock. right now it's at 299,999,839 and changes with every refresh. now it's at 299,999,892. i imagine we'll be at 300 million by the time i get out of the shower.

its kind of insane to think of how many people are in the US especially considering how unpopulated some areas are. I think its interesting how some areas are really dense with people and others not even close.

Areas of the "heartland" are completely clearing out, with populations that haven't been as low since the founding of the nation. There are several areas now with far more buffalo (which were previously endangered) than people!

- Garris

PS: There was recently an Atlantic Monthly article showing that despite the increasing population, there are only really a dozen metros around the nation that are seriously growing, and a few more regions of the US (including the big NE metros) that are holding steady. They were opining that the regions of the US that will have a future are those with major universities or other "knowledge" industries or institutions.

Edited by Garris

Sorry to change the subject, or atleast attempt to, what is the deal with PPL and them spelling Public Pvblic on the signs.. is there a reason why? and if not why haven't they done anything about it?

if you look at a lot of older buildings, U's are represented by V's. i think it was an old roman or greek or british thing. look at the original constitution or declaration of independence... there are letters representing some letters that just look funny. but the U/V thing is common on a lot of old buildings like that.

Sorry to change the subject, or atleast attempt to, what is the deal with PPL and them spelling Public Pvblic on the signs.. is there a reason why? and if not why haven't they done anything about it?

Its a classical way of representing a short 'u', that is, a U with the "uh" sound.

Was this of Latin descent?

Thank you, because I saw that and just couldn't understand why they would do that. But yea thanks now I can walk through providence show people that and act like im the crap cause i know that

it looks ridiculous, but it's like that on many city halls, court houses, libraries, etc in many cities and towns across at least the northeast.

we'll see what happens. in the words of the greatest catcher to ever play baseball... it's not over until it's over.

Yogi Berra isn't even the best catcher to wear pinstripes. That honor goes to Bill Dickey. But playing in the shadow of Ruth and Maris, a lot of people don't really notice how great he was.

Yogi's grammar wasn't that good, by the way. "It ain't over till it's over"