Lil' Rhody Lounge | Off-topic posting

Cotuit

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i do not know what radio announcers you turncoats are listening to but the WEEI announcers just go NUTS whenever ANYONE hits a home run! I love listening to WEEI.

They're talking about local TV announcers. How anyone can have a problem with the great Jerry Remy is beyond me.

I like them overall... Yankees announcers going waaay back (Rizzuto included) always have had their wince-inducing moments, but at least they have character. They're not bland, anywhere-USA baseball announcers...

I, on the flip side, despise the Red Sox radio announcers. They're not just homers, which is bad enough, they're bland homers...

- Garris

Waldmyn is filler, but I love Jon Sterling. And I agree with Garris: Castiglione and Truppiano are couple of old fogeys, and Truppiano is the biggest narcissistic windbag on the face of this earth. That guy looooooves the sound of his own voice.

Those two -- literally -- cannot speak two consecutive sentences without pissing me off. I have this amusing dilemma when their broadcast is my only option: I want (need?) to catch the game, but I absolutely don't want to hear Truppiano. So I turn the radio on, but I turn the volume down until it's barely audible. That way, I miss most of the infuriating nuances of Truppiano's gamecalling but still keep up with the events of the game. Is that insane or what? I don't care.

I'm a huge Sox fan, but when the Sox play the Yanks, you'll find me listening to the Yankees' broadcast. Sterling has class. Except when the Yankees a) hit a homer or b) win. I flip the radio off (quickly) for that.

Yes, they are both annoying. But nothing is as amazing as Sterling at the end of the game when the Yanks win. Yankeeys win, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Yankees win. :lol:

OH MY GOD!!!!

I cannot stand Jon Sterling. that call makes me instantly nauseous, and if I'm in the car, gives me an almost irresistable urge to drive into a telephone pole.

Long live Joe and Trup!

BTW, did everyone see Arod go oh-fer-four and strike out with the bases loaded? classic. I almost feel sorry for him. Almost. Jeter can now take my wrath...

Every team's fans thinks that their rivals announcers are homers.

That said, defending Suzyn Waldman in any way when the topic at hand is homerism is akin to calling Pavolino a progressive developer.

Also, for thsoe that care, Trupe is gone after this year.

Edited by brick

Every team's fans thinks that their rivals announcers are homers.

That said, defending Suzyn Waldman in any way when the topic at hand is homerism is akin to calling Pavolino a progressive developer.

Also, for thsoe that care, Trupe is gone after this year.

yeah, I heard that...

will miss Trupe, though I'll get over it soon. lets go Tigers!

baseball announcers. i don't know what a homer is though other than a homerun, a simpson, or a dead poet.

If you are an announcer and can't be a homer you shouldn't be an announcer who wants to listen to their favorite team and all you hear how other teams do this and that better. It would take away the fun and pride of routing for a team.

On a side note, what is the word with Cuban Revolution, I heard it moved, but I haven't been down there to see, any word?

You obviously just don't care enough. :P

Anyway, I gotta say this Kenny Rogers start is about the most surprising one in the playoffs since 10/20/04. I honestly thought the Yankees would beat him into a pulp.

Ifigured Rogers would be the only definate one to bet on. The most surprising thing in the playoffs is the A's walking away with the series.

I don't know what a homer is though other than a homerun, a simpson, or a dead poet.

Seriously? A "homer" is an announcer (or a fan) who is so absolutely overly, enthusiastically, inappropriately a booster for their team that they're hard to take seriously or tolerate. Homer fans are also fairly unknowledgable about any other teams other than their own. Homer announcers will often use phrases on the air that you'd expect to hear from fans but are considerered unprofessional for announcers.

Dallas Cowboy announcers are famous for this. Also, I was listening to a Vikings-Bears game on the radio several years ago (the Vikings announcers are huge homers), and when the Vikings drove down the field quickly to answer a Bears score, the announcer yelled, "That's what happens when you dis the purple man! Oooooh, yeah. Take that, cubbies!!" I could never, ever imagine a NY area (or even Boston area) football or baseball announcer doing anything remotely similar to that, and these Vikings announcers would call such clownery several times per game. When the Vikings would do their usual late season swoon, the announcers would yell with full cheese and nievete factors way high, "You just gotta' know our guys [possessives are a hallmark for homer announcers] are gunna turn it around for us this week!" Thankfully, the Vikings were never that good, so there wasn't much opportunity for many homer statements during games.

Look at the Yankee's Sterling. While sure he's got his characteristic "Thhhhheeeee Yankee's Win!" thing going on, he's extremely knowledgable and will often call big plays for the other team as professionally and enthusiastically as a Yankee call. And when the Yankees are bad, he (and especially Susan) will rip them pretty badly, which a homer would never remotely do.

Waaay more explanation than you wanted, I'm sure.

- Garris

Edited by Garris

Look at the Yankee's Sterling. While sure he's got his characteristic "Thhhhheeeee Yankee's Win!" thing going on, he's extremely knowledgable and will often call big plays for the other team as professionally and enthusiastically as a Yankee call. And when the Yankees are bad, he (and especially Susan) will rip them pretty badly, which a homer would never remotely do.

I agree. Like I said, except for his homerun calls and his annoying & inexplicable, "Thaaaaaaaaa Yankees win," thingy, the guy is a pure professional.

My wife and I are going to see James Taylor tonight at PPAC. What's the best eatery within a five-minute walk of PPAC? It's been a while since I've eaten downcity and a lot has changed in the past few years...

Ill be at the show, as well. First time seeing James Taylor hopefully I enjoy it.

My wife and I are going to see James Taylor tonight at PPAC. What's the best eatery within a five-minute walk of PPAC? It's been a while since I've eaten downcity and a lot has changed in the past few years...

Best = ???

It really depends on what you are looking for. Also a five minute walk varies depending on if you are a marathon runner or sloth-man. :)

Regardless, there are plenty of options. If you want some bistro-style food then there is Tazza very close and Bravo up around the corner on Empire. There are the old standards Cuban Revolution and New Japan over on Washington (I think they are still there although I know CR is moving soon). For fine dining there is L'Epicurio in the Hotel Providence, and there is also Gracie's on Washington (my choice if $$ are no object)

Here's a little map:

2hoz9mc.jpg