Lil' Rhody Lounge | Off-topic posting

Cotuit

Best = ???

It really depends on what you are looking for. Also a five minute walk varies depending on if you are a marathon runner or sloth-man. :)

Regardless, there are plenty of options. If you want some bistro-style food then there is Tazza very close and Bravo up around the corner on Empire. There are the old standards Cuban Revolution and New Japan over on Washington (I think they are still there although I know CR is moving soon). For fine dining there is L'Epicurio in the Hotel Providence, and there is also Gracie's on Washington (my choice if $$ are no object)

Here's a little map:

2hoz9mc.jpg

My suggestion would be cuban revolution, its cheap and quick, Also Tazza is pretty cheap but a lot nicer.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it really depends on what you're looking for.

tazza is good food (more like some nice sandwiches), pretty cheap. bravo isn't really cheap, but not expensive, and it's really good. AS220 is really quick and really cheap, but super casual and is more of a burrito joint than anything else.

as was said before l'epicureo and gracies are fine dining and a bit more pricey.

My suggestion would be cuban revolution, its cheap and quick, Also Tazza is pretty cheap but a lot nicer.

We went to Bravo's to eat; we liked it a lot and then we went to Gracie's for a drink afterwards. Both were excellent.

Finnegan's Wake needs some serious updating. We walked in and left immediately after seeing it. It is looking really rundown.

We went to Bravo's to eat; we liked it a lot and then we went to Gracie's for a drink afterwards. Both were excellent.

Finnegan's Wake needs some serious updating. We walked in and left immediately after seeing it. It is looking really rundown.

finnegan's is one place i will probably never go based on the type of crowd they seem to attract. you should try blake's at washington and matthewson or trinity brewhouse at empire and fountain.

Anyone else surprised with Cory Lidle accident in NYC?

Yes. Quite sad. I had just read on a Yankees fan website several weeks ago that he was a very active pilot.

Lidle was, if not a spectacular pitcher, always an interesting personality and one to speak his mind. He was in the news a lot this past week for saying that the Tigers were better prepared for the playoffs compared to the Yankees which, in the sports world, is a not so subtle slam at a team's manager.

- Garris

PS: Looking at this from a cold, harsh, Yankee viewpoint, I don't think this will change anything in what I imagine will be a personnel clearing off season. Lidle was an average pitching talent, and I'm sure the Yankees have insurance against such unexpected events.

Edited by Garris

Yes. Quite sad. I had just read on a Yankees fan website several weeks ago that he was a very active pilot.

Lidle was, if not a spectacular pitcher, always an interesting personality and one to speak his mind. He was in the news a lot this past week for saying that the Tigers were better prepared for the playoffs compared to the Yankees which, in the sports world, is a not so subtle slam at a team's manager.

- Garris

well, it was obvious by the way the yankees played... the tigers had great pitching, but the yankees do as well and their offense is awesome. i don't know what happened.

oh well, go mets!

and yes, it is sad what happened. i'm kind of curious how it happened though.

Some comments about the plane itself

The VFR comment is the key one, if true.

A VFR corridor is airspace where you do not need Air Traffic Control permission or guidance. VFR is Visual Flight Rules, basically you are flying by sight, not by instrument.

There is a theory that a low cloud may have cause Lidle to get pointed in the wrong direction. He should not have been trying to fly by VFR yesterday. He must have been in a hurry or something. I have been wondering why if he was having engine troubles (as initially reported), he didn't turn to fly along the East River.

Edited by brick

A NYTimes article today suggests that the Northern aspect of the East River is apparently dangerous airspace where few amateurs fear to tread, and that the standard "u-turn" that private planes often do there to head back South would have been forced to be wide by the prevailing winds from the East on that day.

I actually almost started to take flight instruction in college out of Tweed in New Haven. The day I was scheduled to show up for my first class, a private plane crashed there and the runway was closed for the inspection. I figured that was enough of a hint from God for me, and I instead used my free time to start a trumpet chamber music group :) . Much safer...

- Garris

and I'm sure the Yankees have insurance against such unexpected events.

Nah, his contract was up. He had an option, which I wouldn't be surprised to see the Yankees pick up. Steinbrenner, for all that I think he's an overgrown baby when it comes to his Yankees, is actually quite the philanthropist. Lidle's wife & son will be well-taken-care-of, I think. As will the family of the other victim, if he/she had any.

Some comments about the plane itself

The VFR comment is the key one, if true.

A VFR corridor is airspace where you do not need Air Traffic Control permission or guidance. VFR is Visual Flight Rules, basically you are flying by sight, not by instrument.

There is a theory that a low cloud may have cause Lidle to get pointed in the wrong direction. He should not have been trying to fly by VFR yesterday. He must have been in a hurry or something. I have been wondering why if he was having engine troubles (as initially reported), he didn't turn to fly along the East River.

Check out this article from a month ago where he talks about his plane, sort of eery:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/08/sports/b...and&emc=rss

Nah, his contract was up. He had an option, which I wouldn't be surprised to see the Yankees pick up. Steinbrenner, for all that I think he's an overgrown baby when it comes to his Yankees, is actually quite the philanthropist. Lidle's wife & son will be well-taken-care-of, I think. As will the family of the other victim, if he/she had any.

No need to pick up the option, that will count towards Luxury tax.

Lidle already made $17.5 MM in his career. There are a great many more worthy recipients of George's money who lost their fathers yesterday. With no offense intended toward anyone. It sucks that he died but his family is already in a better position than about 99.9999% of families that lose their primary wage earner.

No need to pick up the option, that will count towards Luxury tax.

Lidle already made $17.5 MM in his career. There are a great many more worthy recipients of George's money who lost their fathers yesterday. With no offense intended toward anyone. It sucks that he died but his family is already in a better position than about 99.9999% of families that lose their primary wage earner.

The Yankees were already maxed out as far as the luxury tax goes. :thumbsup:

My stomach dropped when I first started hearing reports of this accident.

My stomach dropped as someone who lived in New York and was in Manhattan on September 11th. I am so glad I wasn't living there yesterday, it spooked me enough from 500 miles away, I would have totally lost my sh*t if I were still living in New York. The blackhawk helicopter that flew low over College Hill shortly after the accident freaked me out enough. :ph34r:

I actually almost started to take flight instruction in college out of Tweed in New Haven. The day I was scheduled to show up for my first class, a private plane crashed there and the runway was closed for the inspection. I figured that was enough of a hint from God for me, and I instead used my free time to start a trumpet chamber music group :) . Much safer...

- Garris

Ya took the hint! :thumbsup: Good man. :D

The woman came down last night and we went to see The Departed. Very good film, if you're into the epic crime drama type. Especially cool for people from the Boston area as there's so many local references/landmarks, they mention Worcester a couple times and Providence comes up a lot. The movie never makes its way down to Providence but the "Providence guineas" as they're called show up in Boston a few times.