POSTPONED: 110 Westminster Street

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dude, I've only been down here for, like, three months after being a 20 year resident of Providence. Give me some time, would you please? Honestly. What is wrong with you people? Why don't you lobby the moderators to create a policy where only people who are within three miles of Providence can actually post in Providence Forums?

I don't even know what this means!

I surrender, but will say again, at no time did I state or imply that you should be excluded from posting here. That is why I prefaced the post the way I did.

Again, the reason I posted that was not to start a BlogRiot, I was just interested in your take on things in NOVA based on your understanding of the issues in PVD.

<<<<<OLIVE BRANCH>>>>>>

No one posts down here. The forums here are very lonely. Dgreco moved down here, though (He's in baltimore) so he's been trying to liven them up. But there is not the perverted interest (at least not in the forums) that there is up here. Plus I'm still trying to figure out this whole county vs incorporated area vs actual city government conundrum. I need to find out how I can get myself placed on a board or a commission for Fairfax County.

One thing about down here--lot more trees. The older 70s style plazas do not have as much greenery, but any new construction is practically a rain forest. It is quite nice. And people take great care of the trees down here. That is quite heartening. I didn't expect to like it as much as I do, and certainly there are some awful things about the area (These split level raised ranches done in brick and vinyl siding and their tiny little windows just suck my soul right out of me) and of course all the roads and commute are brutal and I can't find a decent place for breakfast to save my life. But, i can go to at least three farmers markets PER DAY until november within 25 miles of work or home, and I can actually walk to the grocery store, dry cleaner, swiss bakery, pharmacy, and post office if I so desire. I can take metro to my office and walk from there to any number of food places, pharmacy, bank etc. It is strange to say that where i am now is more walkable and useful than where I was.

But i miss my friends, and my sphere of influence, to be sure.

No one posts down here. The forums here are very lonely. Dgreco moved down here, though (He's in baltimore) so he's been trying to liven them up. But there is not the perverted interest (at least not in the forums) that there is up here. Plus I'm still trying to figure out this whole county vs incorporated area vs actual city government conundrum. I need to find out how I can get myself placed on a board or a commission for Fairfax County.

One thing about down here--lot more trees. The older 70s style plazas do not have as much greenery, but any new construction is practically a rain forest. It is quite nice. And people take great care of the trees down here. That is quite heartening. I didn't expect to like it as much as I do, and certainly there are some awful things about the area (These split level raised ranches done in brick and vinyl siding and their tiny little windows just suck my soul right out of me) and of course all the roads and commute are brutal and I can't find a decent place for breakfast to save my life. But, i can go to at least three farmers markets PER DAY until november within 25 miles of work or home, and I can actually walk to the grocery store, dry cleaner, swiss bakery, pharmacy, and post office if I so desire. I can take metro to my office and walk from there to any number of food places, pharmacy, bank etc. It is strange to say that where i am now is more walkable and useful than where I was.

But i miss my friends, and my sphere of influence, to be sure.

It means that you'll find just as many shady backroom deals, corrupt assholes, and annoying local trash in DC as you will here, and nobody is going to feel bad when you do. Don't you even watch the news? When did DC become an idyllic model of clean government?

I would imagine once the city, state, and the developer have had a chance to reassess the deal that the state passed, an announcement will follow shortly. Last I heard, the package had a July '09 groundbreaking deadline, but I'm sure the city wants the ground broken and vertical progress ASAP. The mayor will surely want to show off the rapidly rising W Hotel (if that is what it is) to his colleagues during the Mayors Conference in June.

I would imagine once the city, state, and the developer have had a chance to reassess the deal that the state passed, an announcement will follow shortly. Last I heard, the package had a July '09 groundbreaking deadline, but I'm sure the city wants the ground broken and vertical progress ASAP. The mayor will surely want to show off the rapidly rising W Hotel (if that is what it is) to his colleagues during the Mayors Conference in June.

• 3 weeks later...
Snce no one responded, I'll answer my own question.

My so-far reliable but not 100% accurate source has this as a 22 floor design at this point. There is no firm rendering in terms of possible additional height from signs, utilities, "spire", etc. I hope the city pushes for a smaller footprint and taller building.

It would appear that a 22 floor hotel would reach in the 250-270 range (without any sign, etc on the top).

The "W" is involved and financing is the current focus.

Archived