Detroit Off Topic

Allan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I need not post who I'm rooting for since my username is representative of the university I'm attending. I guess this board is more balanced out than I thought.

I should have gotten the Maize Rage pack where you get season tickets to all major sports. I only bought football tickets, so I haven't been to any of the basketball or hockey games, although I want to go to the hockey games badly.

I dont like to use the refs at all as an excuse but even the commentators made a few comments that State should have gotten a few calls and the fact Michigan shot close to 20 more free throws than State is somewhat of an indication of that. Kudos to UM though, they played hard and tough. My guess is the Breslin meeting will be much different.

Just thought I'd let you know, the Michigan Building folks are no longer allowing people to take pictures of the parking ramp/theater portion of the building. They told me it was because people were abusing the rules by going up into the projection areas and vandalizing cars and portions of the building. It sad some idiots had to ruin it for everyone. :cry::cry::cry:

This theater was featured in the battle seen in the movie "8 Mile" and I believe was shown in "The Island"

I should also mention that the Michigan building interior is quite nice. It's very up to date from what we saw. I had always thought it was run down inside, but I was wrong! We went around on all of the floors just to check it out. There was a big group of us so it was kind of weird walking around inside an office building. Does anyone know the occupancy? I wouldn't mind having an office in that place.

Edited by wolverine

Yeah, the Michigan Theater Ramp thing has been a long time coming. I knew it was only a matter of time. I'm really surprised that it did not happen sooner, to be perfectly honest. For the past few months they haven't been allowing people in there, although I did convince the weekday security guard to let me in there (though I had to talk with him for about 20 minutes first).

Pricey Cass Tech Already Needs Fixes:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006601250306

Not suprising that a huge building like this would have so many problems.

When I become an architect, I hope to never work with a firm that deals with schools. Schools aren't simple structures like office buildings or apartment highrises that have repetitive floor plans stacked upon one another. Buildings with different spaces can have a lot of problems with expansion joints and energy distribution.

Back when I was in highschool, the ceiling collapsed in a hallway just weeks after a new $20 million addition was added due to a leak in the roof that had ponded above the ceiling. That shouldn't be a surprise, it's hard to notice small holes and cracks on large projects.

Almost a year ago, I posted a gripe somewhere about the McNamara terminal starting to fall apart. because the floor was cracking and rifting in portions. That was due to expansion and contraction problems in the building which I believe they recently fixed.

Point is, construction is hard.

Edited by wolverine

From Chuck Klosterman's blog on ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...klosterman/blog

Detroit is like a 16-year-old girl who just paid $110 for the haircut she always wanted, but now she's driving to school and checking herself in the rearview mirror, and she's starting to suspect that she looks a little like Tawny Kitaen on the cover of "Out of the Cellar." Kids can be cruel, rockers.

This guy is hilarious and incredibly smart; he's one of the reporters whose take on the city I'll actually pay attention to.

Detroit is like a 16-year-old girl who just paid $110 for the haircut she always wanted, but now she's driving to school and checking herself in the rearview mirror, and she's starting to suspect that she looks a little like Tawny Kitaen on the cover of "Out of the Cellar." Kids can be cruel, rockers.

This guy is hilarious and incredibly smart; he's one of the reporters whose take on the city I'll actually pay attention to.

I just read the same thing and was laughing out loud at this... thanks for posting this.

The media around here is hillarious, i just watched a 2 hour slappy fest on channel 7 about the super bowl... from them putting astoturf down on their set to stephen clark dancing with diana lewis, I think i've had enough.

Why because it is so subtly negative?