Detroit Off Topic

Allan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, it got them laughing...at you, and further fueled their stereotypes of the region, but I'll stop here. I really don't know what is more frustrating, their candor or your's. And I quote:

"You all piss me off. If you guys all have something to say about Southeast Michigan and Detroit go on over to the Detroit Forum and post a topic there. Why do all you Grand Rapid's people think you are better then Detroit? Were all better then you, we won't sit down and beotch about another city for no reason. Check out the Detroit Offtopic thread and see how much better we are."

Real mature and a good representation of the area...

I should really leave, though. lol I know I'm not much liked over here, anyway. Sorry, all.

Edited by Lmichigan

At one time, Detroit had the greatest collection of American architecture in existence. Although it still does have great architecture, the collection has dwindled because of demolitions, modifications, and influx of crappy modernist architecture. I think I should make a thread sometime that has grades assigned to Detroit buildings. Wasn't this game played at the last forum meetup? I believe we gave Bank 1 a D- and One Kennedy a C. Compuware got a B
We played that game when you & I were playing Petanque in C-Mart. Unless we were also playing it at the meet....

No, no one is disliked here. We are all going to say things that people will disagree with, but that doesn't mean someone isn't worthy of posting here. We are also going to say things we regret, but people do that everyday in life, it's just when it's in writing it's more obvious.

LMich, to say you are not liked over here is absurd. Just because there is a disagreement doesn't mean you should leave.

rbdetsport, sometimes we get easily uspet and make posts that reflect poorly on our character. That's why I refrained from posting on urbanplanet after I come home from a college party drunk. I remember I almost made a thread about how much Detroit sucks because buildings are getting torn down to parking lots and there are much better places to live. Actually, the situation is much more complex, but I didn't see that when my emotions were more intense and I lacked judgement.

I don't think rants ever work on bulletin boards. We've all either made them, or have been tempted to post them when our anger is elevated. Then we typically feel like crap after we've done it because not everyone agrees, or we've just made a fool out of ourselfs.

If you feel you've made mistakes here at U/P, shake it off. I think we've all made some stupid posts one time or another. Finally, no one should feel unwelcome here. If you are feeling unwelcome, you are probably wrong. If you haven't noticed, all the unwelcome people here have been banned, and currently not a single member in the Michigan forums is up for consideration. If you are doing something to piss people off, the moderators will warn you, and you'll have plenty opportunities to fix the situation So everyone can just chill.

rbdetsport, don't worry about it. I've posted some much more obnoxious things looking back at them. :P The topic header was written that way just to get a rise out of people (wasn't me). Most of us feel the whole transit bill veto was a run-up for the upcoming election, which will be an attempt to drive a wedge between East/West. Most of us have many friends on the East side of the State and vice versa. Shoot, 3/4 of the people I went to WMU with were from Metro D.

And the talk of secession is pretty silly if you ask me.

Obviously it was a political move, though I can see why Grand Rapids residents would get upset. I don't really care about east side/west side, I like Grand Rapids and have no hard feelings for the area. In fact, there's nothing more I want than to see that area of the state prosper. I'm not a Southeast Michigander. I'm a Michigander!

Edited by hudkina

Obviously it was a political move, though I can see why Grand Rapids residents would get upset. I don't really care about east side/west side, I like Grand Rapids and have no hard feelings for the area. In fact, there's nothing more I want than to see that area of the state prosper. I'm not a Southeast Michigander. I'm a Michigander!

An early New Years Toast to Michigan development. I am sorry if I have made anyone mad in the past, but I like to tell my feelings. Next time I will not do that. I think all of us feel unwelcomed at different points. And Lmichigan, just stop. Don't say you should leave. I mean I can say that you and I have had probably the most disagreements in the past, but you and I always put it behind us and move on(hopefully). From the Redico topic to the Port Authority Topic, even though all of them started because of me, we have had our differences. But wdifferences are hat this forum is built upon. I mean we all wouldn't have anything to talk about if there was nothing to disagree over. :thumbsup:

BTW, nice post Wolverine. And thankyou everyone for welcoming me here even though I am pretty young compared to all of you. I just love cities. Even my friends and family know that. The suburban people, as I am, refrain from talking badly about Detroit because they know my feelings.

Edited by rbdetsport

The Fine Arts Building windows got all griffitied last night.

It'll be interesting to see if the Ilitches try to clean it off. Getting to the front of building will prove to quite a challenge due to the massive hole in the floors. I'd be interested to know how whomever did the paintings even got to the front.

Oh well, given its current rate of decay, the entire front half of the building will collapse inward within a matter of months if precautionary measures are not taken immediately.

I can find out some info, but it requires a trip to the library and city hall. I never look forward to city hall visits, but I need to go there to find out some other info, so I'll look up the buildings while I'm there.

The Fine Arts paintings were done by a guy known as Mayan Funk. I've noticed a growing number of paintings in the old Fisher Body building at Fort & Livernois, and now the Fine Arts. He's pretty pissed that the Ilitches destroyed his UA window project, which supposedly took 3 years to execute. As for the Fine Arts becoming a parking lot, it would be the outcome I'd most expect. Out of all the Ilitch buildings, it is by far the most unsalvageable.

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the Feldman Report? It is published by Joel Feldman, president of West Bloomfield Township-based commercial real estate brokerage First Realty Co. I searched for it on the web...but no luck.

Anyone out there have a current issue they could share?

Thanks!

At 7:15 AM this morning I noticed a street crew on Woodward cleaning up gravel, and filling in potholes.

At 7:30 this morning I noticed a new street map being installed on a streetcorner downtown.

At 8:00 this morning I worked with a group of Detroit residents in cleaning up several parking lots downtown.

Super Bowl XL is going to be great for Detroit, I can just feel it. Things have to go near perfectly for our image to go unscathed, but I have a feeling it's going to happen. There was a buzz downtown today...4 years ago at this time, downtown would have been ghostly at 11am on a Saturday.

4:00 PM Ilitch workers observed attempting to un-graffiti the Fine Arts Building

4:10 PM Noticed new posts for a chain link fence have been installed around the front half of the UA Building

4:15 PM Noticed that all those junky, abandoned cars from that garage on Elizabeth Street still have not been halued away

4:30 PM Noticed that the burned out Victorian house on Sibley was demolished sometime between 4:00 PM yesterday and 4:30 PM today

I disagree. I think the media will run with both the good and the bad. Actually, I expect the media to weigh heavily on the good like they do for just about every city that hosts a Superbowl. As long as their are no shootings or stabbings, I expect this thing to go off without a hitch. Couple this with the AutoShow coming up very soon, it will be nothing but decent publicity for the next few months.

I really believe that the media used to give Detroit such a bad rap because at one time, downtown was actually nearly as bad as many of the surrounding neighborhoods. People were getting robbed and murdered downtown in the 80's. That's all changed (for better or for worse for the actual citizens of Detroit). You can look at the downtown now and actually say that it's livable and vibrant compared to even just 5 years ago.

Just my opinion, though.

Either this site or network is slow tonight! Anyway...

4:30 PM Noticed that the burned out Victorian house on Sibley was demolished sometime between 4:00 PM yesterday and 4:30 PM today

Did you happen to notice that 105 Alfred is supposively gone now? (This, like my other post is also according to DetroitYES as I am currently long distance and won't be back 'till the next semester)

105 Alfred won't be around much longer either. The city has asked the historic commission to approve its demolition.

24801178_99ce75058c.jpg

I hope this is one of the last demolitions in Brush Park other than the Arts and Crafts Society. Of the remaining buildings many are restored or are on their way. Those that aren't seem to be in good stable condition with the exception of the Livingston House and another relatively insignificant house on the next street south that I noticed only had a few outside walls and a portion of roof remaining.

BTW, I read somewhere that the Livingston House was moved to it's current location. Is that correct? And why has it been left to hang over an almost new foundation so that it slowly sags and will eventually collapse?

LivingstonHouse1.jpg

(Livingston House)

Well, I parked on Alfred when I went to visit my friend who lives in Brush Park last night. It was still standing when I left. I didn't happen to drive by today, but it is gone from what I have heard.

I will have to do some research on the Livingston House. I've heard that it was moved too, but I don't know when it was done, or where its original location was.

Sorry if the forum is slow around midnight. At midnight most of the maintenace runs on the forum. A server upgrade is a couple months off too.

I will have to do some research on the Livingston House. I've heard that it was moved too, but I don't know when it was done, or where its original location was.

I found the site where I originally found the information:

Front Entrance, Livingston House

Could it have been located in the same area as the buildings mentioned in this article which has been previously posted on this forum?:

How Not to Build Detroit

"A former Midas shop along Woodward near Eliot has remained vacant for five years, and nearby a three-story, 10,000-square-foot compound of commercial and residential units has sat empty for more than a decade. It is owned by the American Red Cross. Jim LeBlanc, Red Cross finance director, said the large building was sold last week. It now sports a banner stating it will be converted into condos."

Edited by andrew69@ltu