Detroit Off Topic

Allan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yesterday, I was leaving Dearborn around 10 pm with my sister and I took her into Detroit to see the progress before heading back up toward Saginaw. Although, I was just in Detroit a week ago, alot of progress has seemed to have picked up lately. First off, nearly the entire stretch of Michigan Ave into the city was brightly lit. A HUGE change from last year when nearly all of it, even through Corktown, was pitch black. Second, what's going on with the UA, all the paint has come off? IMO, I heard more nice than bad remarks about it's paint job. It really made the UA an icon. I haven't heard anything solid about it being renovated, so now it's kind of a boring abandoned building from a non-architectural aspect. Hopefully along with the paint removal will come window replacement. So anyway, Detroit looked great tonight, and that helped considering my sister is from a really nice part of Los Angeles and I didn't want to look like an ass taking her through Detroit late at night.

The whole family is getting together and heading down to the D on Monday to go skating in Campus Martius. I'll be sure to post some progress pics.

Hey, does anyone know of the name and history behind an apartment building at the northwest corner of Cass Park? It looks to be nearly 10-stories, and I don't think I've ever really noticed it until I looked at a picture of the area, recently. I'd also like some history of the former Kresge's headquarters on Cass Park if anyone has any information or pictures of it.

Is this it? Forgot the name of them. I believe the apartments are dirt cheap.

EDIT, my bad, you said 10 stories, this is only 5 I'll keep the pics posted anyway.

apartmentsnearcass.jpg

Another shot:

another1.jpg

Blurry image

blurry1.jpg

I did a google search and one of Allan's photos came up. Identify the building.

IMG_4131.jpg

Edited by wolverine

What's wrong with the Bank One Building? It looks to be easily one of the best maintained buildings in downtown, and adds a lot of character and depth to the street-scape. If anything, One Kennedy Square could have taken some ques from the Bank One Building in terms of being interesting. IMO, though not necessarily ugly, One Kennedy Square is easily the blandest and most forgetable building on Campus Martius to date. They didn't even add anything interesting at the base. They could have easily built that in the Southfield Town Center without anyone even batting an eye.

Bark 1 doesn't do much at all to the streetscape except provide a large shelter area for the homeless when it rains. It was fad architecture that has since gone out of date, and appreciated by a few that understand the intentions behind it's design. Whether they were good or not, aesthetics rule on judging this building. It may be well maintained, but it's just down right boring and ugly. It may be remembered more because its checkerboard window pattern is a bit mesmerizing at first glance, but after that it's not visiually enriching. I actually find 1 Kennedy more interesting to look at, even though it was done by a firm that makes some boring buildings to start with.

After visiting New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, and other major cities, I've seen many different buildings built during different eras, and a lot of new stuff built latelyl that's on the scale of what we are seeing going up in Detroit. I must say, I'm jealous. But I know building downtown is risky right now, not to mention Michigan's economy is still uncertain. So investing a lot of money into well designed buildings isn't exactly the top priority here. It's more just about getting something up, and making an impact on the downtown economy.

It's amazing how design really improves with the amount of money the client is willing to spend. The most expensive buildings going up in Ann Arbor are the most beautiful, but then there is the cheap garbage going up for 18 mil. Heck, this building should get to know Bank 1. They sure have a lot in common.

http://www.plantext.bf.umich.edu/plantext/...hayer_ViewA.jpg

I can think of few other buildings like Bank One, and if only because of being unique I find it far more enriching than One Kennedy Square. I could find dozens and dozens on One Kennedy Square's across this country (and some even in metro Detroit), most of which would be in bland, American sprawlburbs burbs. Unlike many modern buildings, Bank One's facade is actually constructed of something not found in many 1950's modernism: marble. Heck, you'll find every little of that in postmodern designs of today. Everything seems to be faux-brick (brick vaneer) or stained, precast concrete panels meant to resemble limestone (which they often don't). I think it provides a great contrast to the historic buildings around it. One Kennedy, to me, doesn't get a second glance. I see a cheap-looking, plastic/glass-looking, accentuated box and all I can think is "and?"

There are some excelent examples of unique mid-century to 1970's designs, I just don't think that Bank One is one of those. IMO, the "checkerboard" of windows don't fit well with the rest of Campus Martius (something can be unique and still blend into the urban landscape). It's really not a pressing issue as Detroit has much more to deal with in its buildings that aren't well maintained, but it is certainly not the building that I would have chosen for that site.

How does One Kennedy Square mesh with Campus Martius, though, or the surrounding area? It looks even more out of place then the Bank One Building. Plus, the Bank One Building was built in the context of what has no become Campus Martius, once again. One Kennedy was, and still doesn't manage to fit in that well. Of course, we are not going to agree, but it's always good to have a good architecture debate. :) Once again, I just think you could find One Kennedy Square going up in almost any non-descript suburban office town center in America.

Believe it or not, I'm not much of a fan of the Bank One Building. I just think it's decidedly better than One Kennedy Square, which could have been a literal glass block with reflective glass, and still would have been better than what they've put up. It looks like a cheap lego tower. lol

Edited by Lmichigan

Ahh, such great architecture critics we are.

Just slightly to kill the Bank One debate, anyone think my Roots sig and avatar is getting old? They are still my favorite hip hop artists. I'm asking this since I'm mostly visible in the Detroit forum. If I took it down, I'm not sure what I'd put up.

Edited by wolverine

I'll get back to you on that, but I have to vent. Has anyone read over the "Granholm Screws West Michigan Again, Nixes Bill Making LTR Possible Options?" I know I have to stay out of it, but it annoys me so much to read it and have my stereotypes reinforced for that region. I've always given them the benefit of the doubt, but some of the stuff is just plain venemous and obssessive. Heck, they are talking seccession:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=19672

I just hate to see my stereotypes reinforced like this, and then them trying to taunt me and Detroit-area forumers into a conflict. You don't see us over here bashing Grand Rapids.

How does One Kennedy Square mesh with Campus Martius, though, or the surrounding area? It looks even more out of place then the Bank One Building. Plus, the Bank One Building was built in the context of what has no become Campus Martius, once again. One Kennedy was, and still doesn't manage to fit in that well. Of course, we are not going to agree, but it's always good to have a good architecture debate. :) Once again, I just think you could find One Kennedy Square going up in almost any non-descript suburban office town center in America.

a few things i noticed in 1 Kennedy Square (1KS)

1. The marble along the base is near identical to that used on Bank One (color and geometric orientation)

2. The lower level has a curvilinear glass facade which plays off compuware's goofy glass bump-outs

3. The combination of green glass and white panels plays off compuware and bank one

4. The design provides for public space which should help to integrate the site with Cmart

I would reccomend seeing it in person after it is complete before making a judgement. I hated compuware when it was going up but I have come around on it. My only preliminary complaint about 1KS is that it plays off 2 of the, in my opinion, uglier buildings in downtown detroit (bank 1; compuware). I think a stronger stone presense in the building would improve my overall impression, but I will reserve judgement until it opens.

lol! Don't you start, too. We're all better than that. :)

As for One Kennedy, it's already sheathed in it's glass facade, and will not change much in outward apperance. It is far enough along in the construction process where I look completely comfortable making a judgement.

Compuware was a quality project in terms of use of stone, regardless of whether people like it or not. The facade is made of quality, colored marble, granite, and limestone that is usesd older skyscrapers put in a contemporary context. I don't like the front, so much, but the building is far and above much better then One Kennedy or Bank One, IMO.

At one time, Detroit had the greatest collection of American architecture in existence. Although it still does have great architecture, the collection has dwindled because of demolitions, modifications, and influx of crappy modernist architecture. I think I should make a thread sometime that has grades assigned to Detroit buildings. Wasn't this game played at the last forum meetup? I believe we gave Bank 1 a D- and One Kennedy a C. Compuware got a B

Edited by wolverine