Detroit Off Topic

Allan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The article was somewhat humorous. I really got a kick out of Jaworski explain how to navigate the Ren Cen. What I didnt like was some second hand story about a friend getting punched which in actuality could have happened in any large metro area. But since its Detroit, he plays it off as a Detroit thing. I just hope he takes in as much of the city as possible and by the end of the week we get a nice article explaining how great his time was.

So fair is a second hand story about a guy getting punched and playing it off like its the norm in Detroit?

I think he could have picked a story that was much worse while confronting Detroit's image in his first post.

Guys, I'm not here to fight. If you don't like the blog or think the author is biased, don't read it. I won't bring it up again.

Fight? Who's fighting? Just because he could have picked something far worse doesnt mean hes being fair to Detroit. For TOO long this city has suffered from misconceptions and storys that have been passed down and passed down from one person to another without those people really experiencing the city. The only thing that story shows is that he already has an opinion of the city without experiencing it himself.

Riiight, that's what I've been looking for, subtly negative reporting :silly:

He'll be fair, independent, interesting, and funny.

You really don't know how much your reputation precedes you on this particular board, do you? You know, some of us actually read what is said over at the Grand Rapids' board, too.

Edited by Lmichigan

I've got three thoughts after being downtown tonight...

1. The new awning at the Griswold enterance of The Guardian looks out of place.

2. The new Fox sign is mesmorizing, and caused me to be involved in an accident while staring tonight.

3. Is Cheli's Chili Bar open yet? I keep seeing people in there, but I'm still not sure it's open.

Edited by statedude3

But whats bugging me and others is the fact he isnt writing about his time. Hes writing about something that happened to another person. If he randomly gets punched then he has a story but to retell a story about a crazy incident just to make Detroit look bad is lousy journalism. And NOT being fair.

Technically, no, but we can plan one.

I don't think I'll be free until about 6pm on Friday, since I am giving tours until probably 4:30 (unless I end up only doing some of the earlier tours), and then I need to go home, change into comfortable clothes, and then go back downtown. Some of my friends are meeting up with me downtown around midnight at Lafayette Coney Island, so I will be in the D until at least 1:00am (but probably no later than 3:00).

Saturday would work better for me as far as some sort of meetup goes, since I don't have anything going on.

I have no idea what I am doing Sunday. I might be going to any number of Super Bowl parties in Detroit or Ypsi or somewhere else within a 60 mile radius or so. Or I might be a looser and stay home to watch it as I build all these intricate little truss things for my architecture model (ahh, the joys of being an architecture student!).

Aaron, I will be in downtown on Friday. You IMed me when I was in studio and I was off wandering around somewhere so I don't know if you sent more messages. I will be there in the evening as well. I plan on being there on Saturday, but there is mass confusion among my friends as who is driving and how many poeple are going.

In a nice gesture since the Superbowl is in town, the architecture school promised they wouldn't really assign anything for this weekend, and told us to feel free to make travel plans. Sorry Allan, LOL. But if you want me to laser cut the truss pieces for you model that can be done. It only cuts out about a day of work.

As I build all these intricate little truss things for my architecture model (ahh, the joys of being an architecture student!).

TIP:

the smart will use the shuttle busses...

the even smarter will use the line-haul bus routes. The average wait at Fairlane tonight was well over an hour. We hopped on SMART's Michigan Avenue route with virtully no waiting time... yes, it stops a little more, but its the way to go.

over and out

-ezord

Yeah last night we parked across from GAR. There really was parking available all over downtown. The media did a good job scaring people from driving down there.

A riot? Wow. When I took the bus down thursday everyone took things in stride and were enjoying themselves. I guess that changes when the event gets larger and the waits triple. Hopefully next time the game is in town we have the shuttles and some fancy new maglev transportation downtown.

In other news, what s horrible 4th quarter, which makes for a horrible game.

Refs got way too involved in everything.

Too many drops.

Seattle comes clutch... once (INT).

Bettis didnt do jack crap in his home town (the reason why I watched was for him to do so)

And the annoying bandwagon Steeler fans will be in full effect.

That was the most anti-climatic 4th quarter ever, complete opposite of what the 3rd quarter was.