Detroit Off Topic

Allan

The Whitney Building will not be used by ESPN during the Super Bowl. The work you see being done now is a part of the storefront readiness program. The intent is to put up an elaborate window display that spells out "Detroit" in the windows (I guess it's supposed to appear occupied that way). The last time I was downtown (Tuesday night) they only had the "T" up.

The Whitney's lights in that room on the 7th floor of the Woodward side have been on for at least a year, if not longer. The entire building has power, as there are important communication devices on the roof. You flip a switch and the lights will go on. I've seen the lobby lights on several times before...it is very impressive space, I must say.

I know people who have been in the Whitney. It is still in excellent condition. Other than some peeling paint, the building seems to be in working order. There is some vandalism on the first floor - you can see it if you look in the windows. It's nothing a little paint won't fix, though. The owner has actually done some maintenace (new roof, tuck pointing, etc.), and there is a guard stationed inside the building (my friend found that out the hard way when he came face to face with the gun). Additionally, there are security cameras on various levels - whether they are being watched is another story.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Two things...

First, "The Future is Coming" played a commercial here late night (Lansing). Very interesting to see the variety of famous Detroiters and Michiganders, and how professionally done the commercial was (headshots in black in white).

SEMCOG now has Detroit's population listed around 888,000. Really, how much further will this go in the next 4 years? The city is on track to outpace the 90's loss. I can't believe it.

SEMCOG is just a big joke. The whole thing is just a self-fulfilling prophecy. Does anyone over there have any brains? I don't think anyone really knows how many people are left in Detroit, just that Detroit is supposed to loose people since that's what it's been doing since 1950.

Wider roads on the fringes = More decay in the heart

Will they ever learn?

The organization is a big joke, but they routinely match pretty well with the census in terms of population (they were only off something like a few thousand in 2000). Ultimately, whether we like it or not, the census is all that matters when it comes down to funding. Put that together with the United Van Lines numbers (though not incredibly good on their own), and I don't see the estimate being far off. I'm just wondering when the city is going to finally bottom out.

The only way I see evidence of population decline is by how the schools respond. When a school(s) close, something is up. Unless someone else can show me hard evidence, that's pretty much all I go by.

Since moving here almost 2 years ago, I've met a lot of young Detroiters who actually grew up and still live in the city. A very high percentage of them tell me of their parents' willingness to leave Detroit and Michigan. Tops on the list are Arizona, Atlanta, Florida, Nevada, and Utah of all places. It's a very tiring story, but again is offering evidence of Detroit's future zero-population theory.

The Whitney Building will not be used by ESPN during the Super Bowl. The work you see being done now is a part of the storefront readiness program. The intent is to put up an elaborate window display that spells out "Detroit" in the windows (I guess it's supposed to appear occupied that way). The last time I was downtown (Tuesday night) they only had the "T" up.

ESPN will be in the Centaur building per Shannon, our waitress there on new years eve.

It is shorter if you were to walk from that point east on Grand River, then south on Woodward. I guess they want visitors to take Washington south to Michigan, then east to C-Mart. That way more people will be able to see the abandoned, rotting hulk that is the Book-Cadillac.

^ Hmm, I thought it would be like what I see on the busses here in Ann Arbor. The signs covering the windows look completely opaque from the outside, but on the inside, there is only a very slight tint. It has no light coloration effect on the interior either, just slightly dimmed light. It's just like placing food wrap, colored, cellophane over a flashlight. The light still shines pretty much the same color.

TRU Annual Meeting:

Moving from Vision to Action

A focus on the Ann Arbor to Detroit Rapid Transit project and ways you can help achieve the regional transit vision

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 at 6:30PM

Guardian Bldg, 500 Griswold St., Detroit

Call 313-963-8872 for more information

http://detroittransit.org/

I think i may go to this to check out what the plans/ideas are. I plan on doing all i can to make sure we use that $100,000,000.00.

hello- i'm new here... thanks to rbdetsport for showing me around and mentioning me :) anyone have any suggestions for topics i should look into?

Hey! You finally made it. This is one of my friends that I just found out loved Detroit that I talked about in the "My First Detroit Visit" thread. WELCOME!

Okay guys, it begins today...The 4 day battle for the State of Michigan

May the best team win!!

msuvsum.gif

Tonight:

Basketball

Michigan State @ Michigan

Chrysler Arena, Ann Arbor (ESPN+)

Friday:

Hockey

Michigan @ Michigan State

Munn Arena, East Lansing

Saturday: