Statler Hotel Demolition Progress

Allan

Hmm... What about the brown brick building where AAA was actually located in on corner of Washington/Clifford? Is AAA coming back to that building? They have lights turned on in that building still.
Your guess is as good as mine.

Working lights inside abandoned buildings isn't totally unheard of....

44184449_0b5823b0d7.jpg

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There simply were no good reasons to destroy the Statler. I have just spent hours reviewing pictures at Forgotten Detroit and Lowell Boileau's Fabulous Ruins of Detroit site. I've seen these sites before, but they are even more depressing when I realize that the city administration of Detroit would happily pave the entire city if the opportunity were to present itself.

There really was no good reason. It didn't prevent anymore of a safety hazard than the dozen or so other abanonded buildings that dot the landscape of downtown. The exterior was in rather good shape, and there was no need for more parking.

It completely baffles my mind that they were allowed to bring this down, proposal pending or not. I can't wait to read in a few years, how the demolition was probably totally illegal and pointless.

My friend sent me a video of the demolition tonight...it was really something to see.

I would've liked to see the machine in action myself, but I've been in the studio working on my project for the past 48 hours...another 16 hours and I will finally be able to sleep! It will at least be nice to see something other than the inside of the studio for once. :)

After personally observing 15+ years of the city spiraling towards oblivion (and knowing that the decline began long before even then) I'm ready to move on.

It does hurt, but it's part of general progress in a positive direction. This is about Detroit of today and more importantly tomorrow, not restoring the old Detroit, which frankly wasn't all that great anyhow.

Archived