Statler Hotel Demolition Progress

Allan

The parking lot wont look good.  Hopefully the city has something lined up like they have hinted at at times.  I wouldnt mind living in Kales though.  GCP and the skyline are still visible which is a major plus.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The river can be seen on from every south-facing apartment on 12 or above. My shots of the Statler were taken on 16. With the Statler gone you will be able to see the Guardian, Penobscot, etc. better. At the same time, you loose more of the enclosure that the Statler offers to the park. If the Tuller was still there, loosing the Statler wouldn't be quite as bad.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As bad as the Statler is to many Detroiter's and many in the region, it's not going to overshadow everything else that has happened downtown and along Woodward. I've yet to hear reports of people complaining about them dismantling an old building. If anything, your average person would think this progressive instead of seeing rotting buildings.

I've talked to several people in Detroit who expressed concern over demolishing the Statler. Not because they are demolishing it, but because they have no real plans as far as what will go on the site after it's gone. Another guy told me that "we don't need anymore parking lots!"

I was talking about visitors. Sure, Detroit's and metro residents probably have more of a gripe with this, but the average tourist isn't going to care one way or the other. And like I said, if anything they will see it as a sign of Detroit tearing down it's "nasty, abandoned" structures. We're coming from a preservationist stance, but the average tourist won't see it like we do, or even care at all.

Actually, I think many suburbanites are saddened by the fact that such a beautiful building had come to such neglect and only ended up being demolished and not renovated. As ignorant about Detroit we may think the majority of suburanites are, they do in fact know that Detroit is becoming one big parking lot, and that isn't a good thing. However, they aren't going to make as big as a fuss about it as many people like us do.

As far as Detroit residents, I hear the same things you do Allan, they don't care if the Statler comes down, but they do not want another parking lot. Heck, if the Statler was to be replaced with some 30 story building of decent architecture, I wouldn't mind at all.

Heck, if the Statler was to be replaced with some 30 story building of decent architecture, I wouldn't mind at all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excatly what I think. If the Statler wasn't demolished it would probably never have been developed. Why not take a positive out of a negative and hope for a taller building with a decent design.

Excatly what I think. If the Statler wasn't demolished it would probably never have been developed. Why not take a positive out of a negative and hope for a taller building with a decent design.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It had a developer though... the city pushed them out the door

Nothing of any significance is going up on the Statler site anytime soon, and to hope that something will is hopping vain to be quite frank.

Once again, I wasn't talking about suburbanites or Detroiter's I'm talking about outside tourists. They wouldn't give the Statler more than a blinking glance. Those that know nothing of it's history will simply believe it's an old hotel being taken down in place of something more modern. They don't know that nothing will go in it's place.

Believe it our not, tourists realize and know that Detroit isn't the only city that dismantles it's historic structures. The difference is that Detroit demolishes them without putting a plan in place for post demolition. Many tourists don't realize that.

No updates from me. I have been out of town a lot lately, and I'm about to leave for a week. I may get to Detroit sometime later this week. It depends on how long it takes me to conduct this stupid survey....

Thanks.

It was actually a nice day before the storms.

New Washington boulevard streetscapes going up, parking full, got a tour of a building, it was fun.

I also happen to notice... In recent weeks every window in the United Artists that wasn't previously painted with those Mayan figures was painted blue.

So basically it helps ruin the cool effect with whole windows painted a blue..

I got a bunch of nice Washington Blvd pics today. Although the Statler demo is depressing, the new streetscape seriously makes up for the loss. Everytime I see it, I love this street more and more.... except I stepped on a sprinkler head in the median, and got a bit wet! As I was taking photos of the Statler, a group of locals nearby saw me taking pictures and came up to me and began to gripe about the demo. Same thing I've been hearing from most Detroiters. It's only okay to tear something down if something better is going up. But no one is seeing anything but a gravel lot.

Uh, Uhpdates :)?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They're down to the 10th floor on the West and North sections but they stopped tearing down the majority of the East section (from the stairwell to the AAA building) at the 13th floor. Could they be contemplating implosion of that section since it's not adjacent to the PM?

They're down to the 10th floor on the West and North sections but they stopped tearing down the majority of the East section (from the stairwell to the AAA building) at the 13th floor. Could they be contemplating implosion of that section since it's not adjacent to the PM?

Possibly, but, I don't think they would come this far and waste money and resources (on the implosion) . But who knows, it's Detroit; anything can happen. :)

Archived