Statler Hotel Demolition Progress

Allan

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am new to this forum....

My grandfather was the head chef at the Statler in the late 40's early 50's (I think). I was able to get some bricks today from the demo site. I am planning to put together a "thing" for my Dad, Aunt and Uncle including the bricks, photos and possibly items from the hotel (if I can get them.)

I saw that there was some sensitivity to use of the photos posted. Can you explain what is proper with regard to using photos? If anyone has a lead on where I can get historical photos (when the hotel was in use) or items from there, please let me know. I would appreciate any help.

Welcome to the forum!

As far as the photo usage policy, it is proper to ask the photographer for permission before putting the photo elsewhere. Most photographers are willing to let you use their photos. As long as people ask first I always let people use my photos.

For historical photos check out the Burton Historical Collection at the Detroit Public Library's main branch. The collection is free to browsers, although if you are not a city resident you will have to pay $10 if you need a librarian's assistance. The photos in the Burton Historical Collection can be reproduced at very little cost.

As for items from the Statler, your best bet is to check on Ebay. They have old postcards of the hotel, and things like ash trays & china come up for auction frequently.

• 1 month later...

Today as I was driving by I noticed that they were filling in the basement of the Statler. Wouldn't it make sense for the city to build underground parking in the space while it's open? After all, you know that the parking is going to be an issue the second anyone decides they want to build something there. And the excavation is already done for the most part, substantially decreasing the cost of putting one in. It will cost more money now, but it would be easier to attract development to the site in the next 10 years or so.

It would make since, but look who you have as the current administration, and the overall low expectations the majority of citizens have for the city. The Statler site would be perfect for an underground structure. The site is spacious, and they may even have been able to connect it (for pedestrians) to the underground Grand Circus Park underground lot. BTW, how much of the land beneath both halves of Grand Circus Park is parking? Or is it only one half?

Allen, maybe you should right the city about this. I wouldn't hurt.

... BTW, how much of the land beneath both halves of Grand Circus Park is parking? Or is it only one half?

The full Semi-circle is used. 2 floors on the West side, 3 floors on the East side, connected by a tunnel under Woodward. The West side is undergoing some renovation and is now reserved exclusively for Kales residents.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not been to GCP in a couple weeks now, has anyone seen the Statler site at all? Is it going to be paved or graveled by the auto show/SBXL time, or a fenced area as it was when I was last there two weeks ago.

I'm not sure what'll happen to it, but it's about 4/5 filled with dirt now. I doubt that they'll pave it though.

I was also thinking it would be cool if the city turned on teh GCP fountains during late jan/feb. Is there any chance of this happening?

I guess that'll depend on how cold it gets. Clearly, if it gets so cold that pipes can freeze/burst then it'd not be a good thing. Even if doesn't get that cold, the west side fountain can produce quite a bit of spray in winds. The last thing we need is people getting sprayed with near freezing water. Perhaps they should cordon off the park so that people cannot get too close to the fountain if they decide to turn it on.

The original plan was to plant grass on the Statler site. The site needs to settle before they can plant, though, so it definately won't be done by Super Bowl, seeing as how the majority of the site is not yet filled.

I guess that'll depend on how cold it gets. Clearly, if it gets so cold that pipes can freeze/burst then it'd not be a good thing. Even if doesn't get that cold, the west side fountain can produce quite a bit of spray in winds. The last thing we need is people getting sprayed with near freezing water. Perhaps they should cordon off the park so that people cannot get too close to the fountain if they decide to turn it on.

My dad runs the wishing well at his house with car anifreeze in the winter and it does not freeze at all. I just think it would add a nice touch to a key area of SBXL festivities. Although the pipes and pumps at GCP are much older, and who knows how good of shape their in.

The original plan was to plant grass on the Statler site. The site needs to settle before they can plant, though, so it definately won't be done by Super Bowl, seeing as how the majority of the site is not yet filled.

Really? That's much better than a parking lot, IMO. At least at this site. I'd much rather them leave it as greenspace until they can build something decent on it.

When Homrich bid on the project they were supposed to fill in the hole and plant grass on it, much like the Kennedy Block. I haven't heard otherwise. I really can't see them being able to fill the spots on such a lot anyway...I've never had problems finding a parking spot around there.

True, I am forgetting the study I read which examines the downtown parking situation in several major US cities. The study essentially came to the conclusion that the more parking that is available, the more parking will be demanded in that downtown. It is similar to how the roads in the fringe areas are never wide enough.

The study also found that the more parking spaces per square mile a downtown had, the less vibrant that downtown would be. After all, if you build parking for every single building downtown, downtown becomes more like a scaled up version of the suburbs, where people drive from place to place instead of walking.

Detroit has fallen into both of those traps. Though it's not surprising, seeing as how it's so much easier to take a car downtown than it is to ride the bus. During downtown Detroit's most vibrant period between 60 & 70% of people who worked downtown took the streetcar. At the system's peak in 1936, 70% of downtown workers took the streetcar downtown. Of course this was not by choice, but because they had to. Between all the pedestrians, traffic jams, and lack of parking, it was more trouble than it was worth to drive downtown. Many of those who did drive ended up parking on the fringes and taking a shuttle bus in.

When I looked at the site at lunch, they seem to be filling the site to the street level from the south west corner towards GCP with "good" soil rather than gravel mix they had been using before. So maybe they're at the final stages of filling it up.

As a side note, they started to put up chain link fencing around the UA building, blocking sidewalk access on that side of Bagley. I'm not sure if the plan calls for opening the sidewalk on the Statler side of Bagley or if just closing off Bagley to foot traffic all together. Maybe leaving one side of the People Mover island for foot traffic? Anyone with info?

I've been under the impression that Bagley will be restored to the configuration it had prior to the removal of the Statler.

The UA fencing is unrelated to the Statler demo. The fencing is only up around the office building portion of the building. Perhaps they are bringing down the 1960s canopy along the front of the building? The Ilitches are very quickly trying to make their properties appear halfway decent for the Super Bowl. The Fine Arts Building facade has gotten exterior lighting, the window graffiti is being covered, etc.

Archived