Statler Hotel Demolition Progress

Allan

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I was in Detroit last Saturday. I went to visit a friend at Lafayette Towers, and I remember walking back to my car and seeing the plate. Then we headed over to Dally in the Alley. After the dally I headed downtown to snap a few photos. Then I headed back home...I noticed it missing the next morning. So it disappeared sometime between 6:00pm Saturday and 8:00am Sunday. I reported it to the police so they know it's stolen (just in case it shows up on a stolen car or something), but it's still a total pain. It took 45 minutes to file a police report, and now I've got to wait in a line for an hour or more and pay a bunch of money (that I'd rather spend on something else) for a new plate.

^It's funny they do that, since the Hudsons demo didn't quite go according to plan. Although the Statler seems to have been "succesfully demolished" so far, I still question the way they did it. From some pictures I saw when someone snuck into the site during the early stages, so many areas seemed incredibly dangerous due to the way things were being removed. Steel hung precariously above walkways and some areas where floors could fall out did not look like they were taped off properly. It seemed as though safety was not a top priority. But I could only see that in pictures, so who knows for sure.

Also, nice pictures Allan. I envy you. How ever do you find the time to get downtown to take pictures when you are in architecture school? I was just barely able to fit todays U of M/EMU blowout game into todays schedule.

Regardless of whether or not the demo had problems i believe that it is still the worlds largest demolition of a structure. That sort of gives them bragging rights.

I think Hendrix needs to make it a priority to find someone to develope the Statler. Those first couple of pictures looked really bad. After Campus Martius the city needs to focus its efforts on revitalizing Grand Circus and Washington Blvd.

Also, nice pictures Allan.  I envy you.  How ever do you find the time to get downtown to take pictures when you are in architecture school?  I was just barely able to fit todays U of M/EMU blowout game into todays schedule.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good time management, I guess. I went out exploring with a whole group of people today. Yesterday I went out with the intent of getting a new license plate, but after that I just sort of randomly ended up downtown. I ran into someone from one of my classes, so we talked for a while, but after that I just had lunch and headed back home...very crappy day for photography.

Ok, back to processing photos....

You can actually see how much the building was in bad shape. But I still believed it could have been redeveloped. I do hope Freman Hendrix, if he becomes mayor, can get a developer really quickly, but with quality. I am hoping that the developer can maybe make it look a little more historical than say 1 Kennedy Square so that it can fit a little better with the surrounding area. In this city it is 2 steps forward, 1 step backwards. We will become a high class city in the next 10 years.

Good time management, I guess. I went out exploring with a whole group of people today.  Yesterday I went out with the intent of getting a new license plate, but after that I just sort of randomly ended up downtown.  I ran into someone from one of my classes, so we talked for a while, but after that I just had lunch and headed back home...very crappy day for photography.

Hmm, I went out and took those exact same photos on Friday around 5:00 once the rain went away. I must have missed you by a few hours.

But I did see some detroityes presence down in Grand Circus Park. Seems like maybe we should change the name to "Photographer's Park". ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I just took these. The progress on the demolition in the past week or two seems nil, though I'm sure they're making some unseen progress. There's been times when out of no where I'd see several floors missing within a couple of hours.

Photos are in order from Bagley/Clifford, around the Grand Circus Park... around to Washington Blvd./Clifford

Statler_1.jpg

Statler_2.jpg

Statler_3.jpg

Statler_4.jpg

Statler_5.jpg

Statler_6.jpg

That's the Automobile Club of Michigan building. It's been owned by AAA for decades (since at least the 1920s). It is not coming down as part of the Statler demo, although there is a good chance that it will eventually end up collapsing in on itself due to the fire damage.

Archived