Statler Hotel Demolition Progress

Allan

Here's the machine in action....

http://www.waitingforlunch.com/statler.avi

I have quite a few more short videos, but all of them were taken leading up to the collapse of this section, which took about 40 minutes of plucking out beams and yanking at a central support. The demolition crew was hollering at people to stay out of the Washington Blvd. median even though it was outside of the fenced-off area, which was a fine idea.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So is that machine basically a hydraulic jaw on a crane of some sort? It looks similar to what they used to take down a set of reinforced concrete stadium stands at my college, except that it was only mounted on a backhoe since the thing was only 3 stories tall...
Yeah, that's pretty much what this is. They were just finishing up destroying the last of the building when I was downtown this afternoon.

Yah, I saw the last few pieces going the way of rubble.

Soooo, once the debris is all hauled away and the site is cleared, are we going to be parking on it, or is it going to be inaccessible, paved, gravel, any info? What's the first step?

Did anyone get any last of shots it before they finished her off?

If I remember correctly they'll just plant grass basically it'll be like the Kennedy block before construction.

This photo was taken yesterday (10/26/05). I have no idea if the rest is even standing. You can see below that they already planted the trees and grass on the median. I guess it's the city's way of saying "Come on, let's get a move on things! We have a Super Bowl to get ready for!" The Statler is officially gone.....

DSC08338b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived