Eastland Mall Redevelopment

DigitalSky

Yikes, that price seems very hefty.

If this falls through, I'm still a big supporter of developing this parcel into a mixed-use development, an urban park, or an educational campus (preferably, higher-ed). I like the movie studio idea, but to be honest, I'm more interested on the other aspects of this project other than the movie part (mixed-use, hotels, retail along Central, schools, and re-establishing a waterway).

• Like 1

So a $13 million property for free, plus $1 million in free demo, then $25 million in infrastructure work for free.

Also mentions they will seek $13.2 million in tax credits for phase 1....just phase 1.

I'm not "anti-city investment", but I am when something stinks. And to me, this already smells like a rotten deal. I'd rather allocate the money to transit, than bet the house on this project as is.

The fact that they are saying this will be more of a tourist draw than the NASCAR Hall scares me. We all remember the lofty expectations for that and regardless of the Great Recession it never came close to meeting them. $38m in public money is a risky investment for something that seems to be more of a pie in the sky. I'd love to see this succeed and have the movie industry grow here but I agree with others. That money is better spent elsewhere. Transit comes to mind for me..

Edited by wend28

The magnet school that I'm guessing would have a robust RTF program is very attractive though, if they force the school to be built with Phase I then I say give them the grants.

Edit - I realize the school may be the county and not Hesse, but either way, legally work it in that the school must be built and operational, or no grants.

Edited by nowensone
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

FYI, looks like the entire mall structure is gone. Only thing that remains is a few piles of debris, and an open hole where the lower floor and ice-rink used to be. I wonder if they will leave it like this, or if they will flatten the land, and fill in the open space. It's quite an irregular space, since you could access the second floor of the mall on one side, and the lower halve on the other.

• 4 weeks later...

http://m.charlotteobserver.com/?cu=spreed%3A%2F16408957%2F27485160

Not gonna lie, I sorta hope Studio Charlotte doesn't happen. I personally think there are better things to spend money on... As a progressive tax & spend liberal democrat, I think I'll take a more conservative tone and say if it's such a good idea, they should build it themselves. They're already getting the land for free, right? No more.

I rather see a home developer develop a nice neighborhood, gridded out, with room for a little downtown or office buildings etc. nice streetscaping, bike lanes, islands of trees etc. build a new Dilworth (but more urban) or something. A school maybe.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

Studio Charlotte is a cool idea, but I agree that just giving the guy the land for free and then giving him more money on top of that is excessive. A walkable redevelopment with apartments, homes, retail, commercial, athletic fields, and park space would be a great use of the land and a good terminus for the trolley line, and would encourage growth to infill between it and Plaza Midwood. I hate to use Baxter as an example because hopefully a development of that scope would have more variation in style and use, but something along the same lines as Baxter could work.

Here come all the "I told you so's" ... I agree with the others though, a better option would be some sort of urbanized neighborhood (sans the "luxury" apartments). 

I definitely agree about the luxury apartments. I think the right price point for a development there would be about the same as The Edison/The Nook/Elizabeth Square/most of the newer South End stuff. It's not so expensive it prices everyone out of the market but not so cheap it's another generic apartment complex. And if the right amenities and neighborhood is around it, it's worthy of that price.

Why couldn't the movie studios go in a more industrial setting, say out at the airport or off North Graham?[/quote

Because the whole purpose was to revitalize the area. Zoo Atlanta is nice (I go to ATL for GA Aquarium & Zoo ATL)and turner field is a couple miles down the same road and the couple miles between the two amenities looked poor and sort of dangerous. I mention that because I'd hate for us to spend loads of money on a project and not address the issue of revitalization and transforming the area.

I'm not sure a zoo (though maybe we should build one just to see :D ) or studio Charlotte would do Anythig for the area?

• 2 weeks later...

I wrote in the filming in Charlotte thread that I was bummed but realistic about the end of the Studio Charlotte idea for Eastland.   Frankly I really, really, really wished upon a star that this would have happened as I think the effects of it would have gone far beyond economic impact for the East side.

Label me Le Sad!

• Like 3

The ULI had the right idea from the start:

2007CharlotteThumb1.jpg

I think this plan would be most beneficial to this side of town, and would probably be a lot cheaper too. They could subdivide the parcel into different smaller parcels, aimed at different uses (like seen above), and then sell them to different developers. Have one master plan for this area, and court different developers to develop different parcels. All of this wouldn't have to happen at the same time, so some parcels could stay empty until a developer picks them up. The City of Charlotte could also use a parcel for their own use, like for a school and park. They could even still push parts of this area as use for a movie studio.

I love that plan. I really think that's what the area needs, and it seems like it should be high-density and urban, not full of detached single-family homes. I don't even know if I'd put any detached homes in there at all, I'd want everything to be multi-family in some way. Or if there are single-family detached homes make them build almost right up to the lot lines. But just urbanize the hell out of it and include every different use there is. It would be a great trolley terminus.

Has anyone thought about building a mall on this site???  Seems really underserved when you consider both North Charlotte & South Charlotte have malls.  Could really transform the surrounding area.

:whistling:

Idea...

Of...

THE...

YEAR!

No! Idea of the Half Century!

20 years from now someone will say, they shoulda built a mall here, to which someone else will say, didnt they already have one there a long time ago, to which the first person will reply, well, maybe, but it would work NOW.  Maybe we should build an arcology on the site, right out of SC2000, be the world's first, people would come from far and wide..