COMPLETE: Hilton Downtown Providence

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've asked this before, but what's the difference in elevation (at ground level, I mean) between the CBD and the LaSalle Sq area? I'm not looking for an exact number, just a rough approximation ...

Here's a toy to use:

Google Maps Pedometer

This is mostly for running routes, but as you can see you can also turn on an elevation tool. I'm sure there are better ones out there, but this is usually good enough for me.

LaSalle Square is about 39 ft. above sea level. Turk's Head is about 7.

Before it was downsized, the proposal for the Hilton addition was 27 stories, wasn't it? Does this mean that's back on?

I would say it is - or at least they're getting bid quotes to do it. The wording in the proc group website is almost exact with the only exception being they omitted the condo part (which was origianlly proposed, then scaled back - but perhaps to be reborn again!).

I would say it is - or at least they're getting bid quotes to do it. The wording in the proc group website is almost exact with the only exception being they omitted the condo part (which was origianlly proposed, then scaled back - but perhaps to be reborn again!).

Perhaps they need some solid quoted bids to do their next round of feasibility?

Ask and you shall receive. Thanks.

The nice thing about the sea level difference is that from a panoramic view, the EOB will appear 30' taller than the Textron tower, 15' taller than Westin I, etc.

And any Hilton tower of 27 floors would appear as 45' taller than Textron and 30' taller than Westin I...very nice for the skyline.

If you walk to the far-side of the building ( towards fed hill ) you will notice they never put up any panels, only painted the brick white. This should prove to most they have plans to attach something large to the current building.

While this is an old render, it shows what they may have planned for connecting a tower and how it works with the current section that got no panels during construction:

PVDHilton.jpg

The nice thing about the sea level difference is that from a panoramic view, the EOB will appear 30' taller than the Textron tower, 15' taller than Westin I, etc.

And any Hilton tower of 27 floors would appear as 45' taller than Textron and 30' taller than Westin I...very nice for the skyline.

Exactly what I'm thinking. By my math, in that location, 27 floors would have the effect of another 400 footer in the skyline. The Hilton tower would appear to be only slightly shorter than One Financial, aka the Hospital Trust building. :shok:

On the other hand, I can't say I'm exactly thrilled with the Hilton, as it's turning out. It's better than the design of the Holiday Inn, but that doesn't say much. A 27-story building in the same style as the Hilton might be OK, but could be disastrous.

Oh the importance of materials in building. :whistling:

• 3 weeks later...

See oak's update below, quoted from another thread.

Also, off topic for those of you interested in the LED sign on the glass cube attached to the Holiday Inn/Hilton, the ZBR approved it 5-0 at the last meeting. The Planning Department is still negotiating some of the content that can be displayed.

They started painting the lower bluish-grey facade. The new color is more dark grey brown - Makes the bottom section of the building look better.

I agree completely because I wasn't impressed with how they covered the building, and I am still not that impressed with the glass area, it just seems really small and doesn't fit well with the building. But the painting to a darker color, from what I saw at night does look a little better. It seemed almost "high school teenager-ish"(for lack of a better term) with the colors

• 2 weeks later...

Im curious to find out why the Holiday Inn / Hilton has what seems to be a non-permanent sign displaying "Providence Plaza Hotel"? Is this something new? On the Hilton website it says Hilton Providence, is this going to be the Hilton Providence Plaza Hotel?

Funny you should mention this. I saw that sign last night and wondered the same thing. Although several days ago the sign read Holiday Inn, so I was wondering why they would do that when it's suppose to be a Hilton.

• 2 weeks later...

FROM TODAY'S PROJO

Hotel's name is only temporary

The Providence Holiday Inn is no longer.

The hotel, owned by The Procaccianti Group, has put up a new sign -- the Providence Plaza Hotel.

But don't get attached to the name. It's only temporary.

Cranston-based Procaccianti is in the midst of renovating the property into a Hilton Hotel. The exterior work, including a new glass atrium on the side of the building and a refreshed facade is complete. But the company is still overhauling the hotel's guest rooms -- a process that won't be done until mid-December, according to Ralph Izzi, marketing communications director for the hotel development company.

When the hotel rooms are finished to Hilton's standards, the name on the hotel will change to Hilton, said Izzi. But before that happens, and after the license for the old brand expires, a new, temporary name has to go up.

The building, at least exterior wise, is very obviously Hilton's look. id imagine given the amount of effort put into it, that they would do what it takes to keep it a Hilton. Why would radison/Hyatt put their name on a building that looks like every other Hilton hotal out there?

Archived