COMPLETE: Hilton Downtown Providence

The whole lot of this doesn't make sense... The building render doesn't match the elements of the redo of the Hilton that's ongoing (the second render matches nicely, and I also happen to like it the best).

Isn't this all academic anyway, as haven't we been told the tower won't be greenlighted until after a market reassessment down the road?

- Garris

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first design is best, the second is acceptable, and this Westin knockoff would look chintzy IMO. The Westin will end up being a classy building. This version of the Hilton looks almost like a parody, in comparison. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but a poor imitation comes off either as mockery or incompetence.

Major credit to glassandsteel for a terrific find, though.

What is that addition going up behind the Holiday Inn (er, Hilton) at the Sabin & Aborn St corner?

It's the glass box seen in this rendering:

2005-0826-HiltonRendering.jpg

I think the restuarant will be in there among other things.

Looks like the diners will have a nice view.

It'll be better when LaSalle Square is redesigned. A nice lit up restaurant should be a big draw for people attending events at the Dunk.

The first design is best, the second is acceptable, and this Westin knockoff would look chintzy IMO. The Westin will end up being a classy building. This version of the Hilton looks almost like a parody, in comparison. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but a poor imitation comes off either as mockery or incompetence.

Major credit to glassandsteel for a terrific find, though.

The fact is, this is not great design, which Prov. is craving.

The fact is, this is not great design, which Prov. is craving.

If you say so. :P

As I said before, I just wanna see the tower built. I'm happy enough with the chosen design, just build the tower! Build it!

The glass box restaurant dealy is pretty sexy, I think. But that's just my humble opinion.

Thank you.

I really think this cheapens our skyline and city. Architecture out of a box, so to speak. It seems like they applied crappy pre-cast panels to an ugly building. There are many choices in projects like this and the fact that they chose this one is, frankly, dissapointing. I'm hoping that the new construction lives up to it's billing and is a pretty cool glass piece.

I totally agree with those who like the first one. The first one simply has unique identity that Providence needs. The second one is alright, although it looks too much like other projects I have seen. The third one is one of the most cruel knockoffs of an existing design I have ever seen. It makes me feel like Charlton Heston after he watched the remake of Planet of the Apes. :-P

I want Providence to have diversity in its skyline! This building makes me feel like I'm in SimCity, where buildings repeat over and over!

The glass box restaurant dealy is pretty sexy, I think. But that's just my humble opinion.

Yeah, I think that little glass box addition will have a great affect on that intersection. I'll extend the structure out to the sidewalk line and make it feel much more urban. All the light pouring at at night will make it seem much more vibrant as well. I think it'll be bigger than one would guess it would... I still think they could have done more and really created a big retail section there, but I guess we can't have everything we'd like...

- Garris

Like I've said in previous posts on this project, working for an architecture firm can be frustrating at times. If we had clients and or budgets that corresponded with the designs that we can come up with, buildings like the Holiday Inn/Hilton would look a LOT different. We went through countless design schemes with this one...Im working on finding the image we submitted for the RFP, it was just a quick model we did, but interesting to see now that the project is being built.....

I totally agree with those who like the first one. The first one simply has unique identity that Providence needs. The second one is alright, although it looks too much like other projects I have seen. The third one is one of the most cruel knockoffs of an existing design I have ever seen. It makes me feel like Charlton Heston after he watched the remake of Planet of the Apes. :-P

I want Providence to have diversity in its skyline! This building makes me feel like I'm in SimCity, where buildings repeat over and over!

Well, that is the beauty of it all. I love the last design because it 1) has brick and concrete, 2) is tall and has great top roof lighting potential, and 3) is consistant in that it is in line with the other end of the Power Block....another TPG venture. Makes sense to me.

So Griswald, you work for Procaccianti Group??

Wait a sec, do you mean work for them as in employed by them? Not sure if that was a sarcastic question or not..... but no, I work for the architectural firm hired by TPG for the Hilton....

Not sure if that was a sarcastic question or not...

I'm pretty sure it wasn't sarcastic, just the way you're able to talk more intimately about the project leads one to believe you may work for TPG if they didn't know otherwise.

Thanks for the save Cotuit...!

Griswald, yes, I meant employed by them directly. I did not read the first part of your post closley enough to realize you were speaking from the point of view of the architecture firm hired by TPG. No sarcasm intended, just a simple mis-read and my curiosity in understanding your involvement.

Im a little confused, Is the Hilton Tower back on? Seemed like a couple of months ago thye took the tower references out when referring to the Hilton project and wants to "wait and see" with all the other condo projects going on. Is the tower part still in holding, or more of a "go"?

Im a little confused, Is the Hilton Tower back on? Seemed like a couple of months ago thye took the tower references out when referring to the Hilton project and wants to "wait and see" with all the other condo projects going on. Is the tower part still in holding, or more of a "go"?

As far as any of us know, it's still on hold.

Archived