COMPLETE: Hilton Downtown Providence

Thanks for the save Cotuit...!

Griswald, yes, I meant employed by them directly. I did not read the first part of your post closley enough to realize you were speaking from the point of view of the architecture firm hired by TPG. No sarcasm intended, just a simple mis-read and my curiosity in understanding your involvement.

No worries... I posted a while back about how the design for the Hilton changed so many times, at the request of tpg. But now that it's under construction, I think most people can agree that no matter what the building ends up looking like, anything is an improvement over the old Holiday Inn.

In other news, I found out that the glass addition is supposedly going to have some kind of electronic lit sign at the top - should add some interesting flare to that intersection.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In other news, I found out that the glass addition is supposedly going to have some kind of electronic lit sign at the top - should add some interesting flare to that intersection.

I've been watching the progress on this wishing it was two stories taller (at least). It looks like a little tumour hanging off the side of the building. :( Having some electronic lighting will help it, and move LaSalle Square along towards my mini-Times Square fantasy of it. Which makes perfect sense since it butts against our 'theatre district' on Empire Street.

Yeah, this is not one of those projects where, as an architect, you jump at the chance to tell people you worked on it.... the building would probably fit into the urban fabric a lot better in South Beach.

The glass box was supposed to be all curtainwall, but it got changed to a cheaper storefront system. I hope it looks ok in the end...and maybe when the old public safety complex gets redone, we'll have a vibrant square as you allude to....

The Westin II is a draft proposal for the triangle lot that is now used for parking across for the Holiday Inn. This is their second version and not nearly as attractive as the first. TPG is proposing designing al three buildings (old police station, triangle lot, and the hilton tower) to market the plans around the country. It's there hope that this approach will help them find tenants and money quickly so that they can build.

The Westin II is a draft proposal for the triangle lot that is now used for parking across for the Holiday Inn.

You mean this:

hilton.jpg

...is proposed for Paolinos gas station site?

I'd be happy to see them be able to move on these projects quickly, but why do something so derivative of one of their existing properties?

I'd be happy to see them be able to move on these projects quickly, but why do something so derivative of one of their existing properties?

I imagine to give some visual continuity to the entire project for marketing purposes. While I like the Westin and Westin 2, I'm not sure I love the idea of a "Westin City" balanced against the remainder of the skyline :unsure: .

It's doubly strange since it's so difference from what's being done with the Hilton across the street.

- Garris

PS: Thom, I can't say how grateful we all likely are for the information. It eliminates a lot of speculation and uncertainty from our perspective and helps to inform and educate everyone here. Thank you!

But it's still glass though, right? :unsure:

Actually, I think it's going to be plywood sheathing, spray-painted to look like metal.

.......yea I'm kidding. It is still going to be glass.

I'm going to see if I can get some info on the possible tenant, since it's changed a few times already.

There's an ad in the 2006 RI Travel Planner for the Holiday Inn/Hilton explaining it's imminent change of brand. The ad confirms that Starbucks will be one of the tenants.

There's also a better, but smaller, rendering showing the roofline. I'll scan it later if I remember. The roof line is off-center, it rises toward the LaSalle Square side to make room for the Hilton Logo, with "Hilton" written beside it.

The ad confirms that Starbucks will be one of the tenants.

Wow, so that makes three Starbucks downtown?? :blink: Wow...

How did that Corporate meeting go?

"Hey, Bob, I think we're doing a good job with the Fountain and Washington Streets Eastern coffee drinking market, but I think over here, three blocks away, that Western market isn't being served..."

:thumbsup:

There's also a better, but smaller, rendering showing the roofline. I'll scan it later if I remember.

Remember to scan in the image, remember to scan in the image, remember to scan in the image...

:P

- Garris

From what I understand, Starbucks is desperately trying to take away some of Dunkin Donut's market in New England. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a Starbucks with a drivethrough when I was passing through Worcester on 290. I know now they've been putting them in for awhile (3 in RI I guess) but I had never seen one before.

A couple pictures I took last week.

2006-0326-hilton001.jpg

Placing facade panels on the rear of the building, this is mostly done now.

2006-0326-hilton002.jpg

The glass addition from the back.

There has been a lot of activity from on this site this week when I walk by in the morning. Very busy.

Here's the ad I was talking about that ran in the RI Travel Guide.

I can't say I love the Hilton logo to the right. In a design where symmetry was clearly a priority, I wonder why they want the logo off center? Unless they are planning on the tower after all, in which case the logo to the right with the tower to the left would look better...

- Garris

I can't say I love the Hilton logo to the right. In a design where symmetry was clearly a priority, I wonder why they want the logo off center? Unless they are planning on the tower after all, in which case the logo to the right with the tower to the left would look better...

Yes, assymetric for a tower. :thumbsup: They've already started putting up this assymentrical roof detail, so it's not something they've turned back on.

Another interesting observation. On the west (future tower) end, the front and back facades are finished on the edges. I.E. the finish material wraps around the edge, and even some cornice detailing comes around the edge. On the east side, the edges are not finished. Obviously, new facade panels will go on the east end since nothing is being built there. But it seems they will not be putting up the new facade on the west end. What does this say about the likelyness of a future tower, who knows? It could mean they are going to review the tower as soon as they are done with this portion and could be ready to go this fall. It could simply mean that don't want to spend the money on a facade that will torn down eventually, eventually could be 6 months, or 6 years, who knows?

It could simply mean they don't want to spend the money on a facade that will torn down eventually

I just looked at the drawings, right now they call for the West elevaton to be painted (lovely), and it says that the ballroom and parking garage are not in the contract. So yes, I assume their idea is to save money if the future intent is to add on to that side. My guess is that they are in no rush to add a tower, until they see what the market does once all of the current projects are open - not to mention the fact that TPG is busy with a number of other projects.

We just had a seminar yesterday on aluminum panels, and the speaker noted that EFIS (exterior finish & insulation system) doesn't usually last more than 10 years, while the aluminum panels are warrantied to over 20. Too bad TPG couldn't have splurged a little for the sake of better design as well as longevity.... although that doesn't seem to be the trend with building these days does it?

Anyway if they ever do build a tower, I hope it's glass to match the addition on the east end because I really don't think we need a huge yellow EFIS tower that looks like something out of Miami....

• 1 month later...

This morning there was a man in a basket hung from a crane (obviously, I have no idea what this is called) and it appeared as though he was working on the sign that faces 95. Could it be that this is finally coming down?? *fingers crossed

This morning there was a man in a basket hung from a crane (obviously, I have no idea what this is called) and it appeared as though he was working on the sign that faces 95. Could it be that this is finally coming down?? *fingers crossed

They actually took parts of it down once to work on the building, then put it back up. Here's a photo from last August.

2005-0824-hilton.jpg

I'll be happy to see that sign go. I really need to take a photo from Atwells to show how much better the re-clad building looks. Could be better, but it's much better than what it was.

Any idea whats up with the side windows on the east side of the building at the top three floors? Are those to be new corner penthouse rooms or something? Previously it was a solid wall.

I am glad to see the top three floors have the old windows taken down from under the facade and are being renovated. I was truly wondering how extensive they were taking the term "facade". Makes a big improvement and should make the facade look better overall when the rest of the floors are done.

Any idea whats up with the side windows on the east side of the building at the top three floors? Are those to be new corner penthouse rooms or something? Previously it was a solid wall.

Sadly, it's still a solid wall. Looks like those are fake windows, unless they are planning to break down the walls behind them after the installation of the panels, but judging from the glass, I'd say that's not the plan. It's nice to have even fake windows, but they probably won't be lit at night. When I saw them in the renderings I assumed they were making upper floor suites, as that is the better view from the building I think, but I guess not.

Archived