COMPLETE: Hilton Downtown Providence

Hilton, Westin, and GTECH are all getting steakhouse. I don't recall which where, because I'm not up on my steakhouse trivia.

Regarding the sign, it's time to write a letter to the Zoning Board. Honky Tonk is exactly what LaSalle Square should be, being the crossroads between our sports/entertainment and theatre districts.

Hilton - Don Shula's

Westin - Fleming's

GTECH - Ruth's Chris

A lot of people have wondered how Boston can support as many steakhouses as it has. After these three open, compared to Boston we will be a lot more dense in the steakhouse department in terms of how close these are together.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of people have wondered how Boston can support as many steakhouses as it has. After these three open, compared to Boston we will be a lot more dense in the steakhouse department in terms of how close these are together.

When you look at the whole Providence picture, you have to add Capital Grille, 10, and Prime. All 6 within a mile or so...

When you look at the whole Providence picture, you have to add Capital Grille, 10, and Prime. All 6 within a mile or so...

Certainly, thats what I was talking about. With these three new ones set to open, thats a lot of steakhouses. Here is the rundown as I see it:

Capital Grille

Mill's Tavern

10 Steak and Sushi

Prime

Cafe Nuovo (not necessarily a steakhouse, but they do have a Nuovo Grille menu which does resemble a steakhouse menu)

Fleming's

Ruth's Chris

Don Shula's

Thats 8. Not to mention all the other places you can get a steak around here. The bisro places that have steak frites such as Bravo and Citron. Perfect for people that have a group where they dont want to go to a steakhouse. It will be interesting to see how it pans out. I hope all are wildly successful.

Actually, it's 7 if you add XO Steakhouse :).

Actually, believe it or not, I think they'll all be fine:

- 10 and XO, while steakhouses in name, have extremely diverse menus, to the point where I've never really thought of either as "true" steakhouses. So they have 3 or 4 more meat options than the average American or New American in their price class... Thus, they are steakhouses... Both of these are more about creative menus, style, and service than anything.

- Capital is closer to a true steakhouse, but appeals to the same "after work" crowd that much of the Union Station complex does... My two visits to Capital have both been disappointing in food and service so unless it's a work function, it's not on my dining list... There's just too much that's good here in town...

- Prime also has its own... ah... unique, Federal Hill targeted clientelle... :whistling:

- Don Shula's will appeal to the hotel/convention crowd and to the sports bar crowd (which currently have many good options here in town right now). I'm sure it'll have a very full menu like XO and 10 as well.

- Ruth Chris will probably be the one to beat, and probably will be the closest in town to a "true" steakhouse. Given its location, it will be duking it out with Capital for the after work crowd although it'll get a lot of mall traffic as well.

- Flemmings I know absolutely nothing about. It'll likely be aiming at the same after work and mall audience as Ruth Chris, and, again, knowing nothing about the brand, may be the most "at risk" of all the entries.

That's my breakdown. I have to say that, save for some steaks at 10 (best in town now for what it's worth)and one at Mill's Tavern (a follow-up steak order there months later wasn't a fraction as good, though), I haven't had a single steak at any of the above "steakhouses" that made me want to go back at all.

I've had better meat at full service restaurants (Adesso and Cappricio) in the past. Hopefully, like in other genres, it'll force the existing restaurants to up their game.

- Garris

PS: Early word on Pauli Moto's from the one open in VA on the Chowhound boards isn't good, BTW. Mediocre to poor and overpriced seems to be the feeling :(.

I don't know if these articles have been posted yet:

http://www.procgroup.com/press-releases/shulas-347.html

http://www.projo.com/business/content/proj...30.2ec98a0.html

Sounds like Shula's Steakhouse is coming late this year and a Starbucks too ( :sick: )

I hear good things about Shula's - food is supposed to be really good (for a chain) and it's supposed to be a cool place to watch games. Not to mention the menu is on a football!

The second article touches on the restaurant and the starbucks but mainly talks about the US Rubber building. Off topic but cool to see all the develpment going on around the promenade.

I don't know if these articles have been posted yet:

http://www.procgroup.com/press-releases/shulas-347.html

http://www.projo.com/business/content/proj...30.2ec98a0.html

Sounds like Shula's Steakhouse is coming late this year and a Starbucks too ( :sick: )

I hear good things about Shula's - food is supposed to be really good (for a chain) and it's supposed to be a cool place to watch games. Not to mention the menu is on a football!

The second article touches on the restaurant and the starbucks but mainly talks about the US Rubber building. Off topic but cool to see all the develpment going on around the promenade.

I have eaten at Shula's in Tampa. Excellent menuu with interesting portions - football player sized steak, potato, vegtable, etc. and a fun place.

Should do very well with the DD sporting events.

Their menu is printed on an actual football.

The waiters throw you the menu with a "hail mary." If you want to order something, you better to catch it, otherwise you're sent to what's known as "the bench." A splintery, pine plank where you're allowed only to order childrens portions.

If you drop the pass AND spill something, you're sent to the Houston Texans for a season.

And if you really enjoy your meal, it's common practice to dump a large cooler of gatorade over the maitre 'd -

Remind me never to go there.

Indeed, it sounds horrible, but I guess it will be a good attraction to sports fans coming from the Dunk. I do wonder though why the Hilton, which is trying to be higher class wants it. I would imagine a good number of thier guests would be turned off by this restaurant.

Walked by a few days ago on the way back home on the Hill. Looks like they've redone most of the sidewalk in front of the building (Facing LaSalle Square) and there's only about 4 floors left where they need to tear down the interior window-walls. It just might be ready by end of Sept/Early Oct...

Indeed, it sounds horrible, but I guess it will be a good attraction to sports fans coming from the Dunk. I do wonder though why the Hilton, which is trying to be higher class wants it. I would imagine a good number of thier guests would be turned off by this restaurant.

Again, I've heard from people who travel for work that this is a good (albeit chain) restaurant. It's not TGI Fridays. I'm all for anti-establishment but this is better than a crappy chain rest. or nothing (which was there before).

And I thought the proposal included retail space ground level. This bid doesn't mention that. I don't know how these bids work, so please correct me if I'm wrong in assuming that the bid would mention that.

How many stories did the proposal mention? 27 would be awesome. I can't wait for that eyesore parcel to be developed.

If you look through the Hiton thread, there are references to a 40 room expansion and a 27 story building. Add to this, the renderings that appeared on the E@B drawings. So my $$$ is on the Hilton. Whats nice is buildings like E@B and a hotel and condo tower compliment eachother nicely!

Also.. read up on the Hilton at the proc website on it http://www.procgroup.com/featured-projects...providence.html

Mentions the spa and ballroom thats included in the bid-clerkas well as the 40 room expansion. I suggest we move this stuff to the Hilton thread!

proc group: "the new parking facility will provide the foundation for 40 new guest rooms and a 17,000 public spa and fitness center."

bidclerk: "Design plans call for the construction of a 27-story building that will house 160-176 condo units and 40 hotel rooms including a public spa area and great ballroom. "

this is a perfect match - I agree with Rick - move this to Hilton...

Archived