COMPLETE: Hilton Downtown Providence

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sadly, it's still a solid wall. Looks like those are fake windows, unless they are planning to break down the walls behind them after the installation of the panels, but judging from the glass, I'd say that's not the plan. It's nice to have even fake windows, but they probably won't be lit at night. When I saw them in the renderings I assumed they were making upper floor suites, as that is the better view from the building I think, but I guess not.

"fake windows" ...My college architecture professors would cringe

Not "the big announcement" but expect an announcement about an addition to the Hilton soon. Not quite as big as the previous proposal, and not the same use, but should be interesting.

Not "the big announcement" but expect an announcement about an addition to the Hilton soon. Not quite as big as the previous proposal, and not the same use, but should be interesting.

Is this the lul before the storm? It seems from my time on UP that all the big announcements seem to come in bunches... I'm starting to think the "big announcement" is the Citizen's tower.

Is this the lul before the storm? It seems from my time on UP that all the big announcements seem to come in bunches... I'm starting to think the "big announcement" is the Citizen's tower.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking!

Had dinner at Bravo Sat. night before Waterfire. The renovation definitely looks a lot lot better in person and up close than it does in pictures for some reason.

Also, Bravo had about 9 tables set up on the sidewalk of Empire St. Hopefully other restaurants downcity will follow suit. I love the outdoor eating.

From TPGs website:

As the conversion nears completion, the existing parking structure will be replaced with a new, multi-level parking structure. This new parking facility will provide the foundation for 40 new guestrooms and a 17,000-square-foot spa and fitness center.

My understanding is that this will be 17 floors (shorter than the rendering from when it was proposed to be residential). The current building is 12 floors I think.

That is the same text as the old blurb quoted on page one, minus mention of the "tower containing 148 residential condominium homes."

Does this mean the condo portion of the tower has been scrapped completely, or is it still on hold?

All mention of the new tower disappeared for a while. This means the second tower is back on, but it will be smaller and not have condos.

Several of those floors will be parking, I presume...

- Garris

And a fitness center. The additional rooms are rumoured to be an extended stay facility, which would be larger, suite-like rooms, probably with small kitchenettes.

OK so, 2 floors for retail, 2 floors for the spa and 10 rooms per floor would be 4 floors for that which leaves 9 parking levels - is that what ya'll can imagine roughly??

Maybe those parking spaces are being put in to support civic center/convention center events and a possible tower across the street? Say the tower is office space which fills up in the daytime, the conventions and civic center events would usually use the parking at different times and you would have a higher rate of usage for the garage.

I wouldn't focus too much on the number of rooms as stated on their website, I'm sure that number is fluid until they actually get ready to start going through design review and seriously get working on the addition.

The existing hotel is 13 levels above grade, plus the ground floor partially below grade. (From the Civic Center side, the building is 14 levels above grade.)

The top floor is called the 14th floor, to avoid using the number 13.

• 1 month later...

Driving towards the city from Atwells Ave today I noticed that the "tower side" of the hotel has been painted white to match the rest of the building. I assume this has been done so time and money isn't wasted placing a facade where the new tower will soon (hopefully) go. Does anyone know for sure?

Does anyone know for sure?

I don't think anyone outside of TPG knows for sure, but there are some very strong rumors that indicate an additional tower will be built.

They've also started putting the glass on the box on the LaSalle Square side.

Archived