Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

I just want  know where the traffic is at in DC?

there is literally no bad traffic between DC and Tyson’s Corner. Several times I’ve been in metro at 7am where I’m one of 2-3 people all the way to Tyson’s.  During 5:10 or so from Tyson’s to DC. It’s about 2/3 full. Barely any congestion on the highway. Nowhere near 85 towards Gastonia by 485, nothing like the 485 loop, or 77....

my experience is traffic is much, much, much worse in CLT and Lynx is much, much more full than Metro (plus lynx runs a lot later, yay) 

And my apartment looks over 395/695. Never backed up. (Though during moving was the only time it was clogged)

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

14 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I just want  know where the traffic is at in DC?

You are in the center of the city. Traffic is at its worst on the major commuting routes out to the DC suburbs. I-66 out to Centreville is a bad route. I-395 from the Thomas Jefferson Memorial out to the suburbs is a bad route. Most of the I-495 loop is a nightmare. George Washington Memorial Parkway is usually a parking lot in the evening rush hour, especially around Arlington. On the Maryland side, the Baltimore Washington Parkway is a rough route 29 is rough and I-270 to Gaithersburg is stop and go.

DC Metro has been posting big ridership declines. Their operating problems have lost loyalty and people have found other ways to get to work on time. 

Edited by CLT2014

Just got back from Dallas and felt the need to share the view from my hotel room.  Dallas is a pretty cool place and it definitely has a lot of character.  Some elements like the historic west end, lots of quality restaurants, museums, aquarium, preservation of architecture, and multi-line light rail system would be welcome here.  That said, there were a lot of homeless people (they were nice, and I never had an issue, just an observation), the light rail cars were super dated, dirty and small, the aquarium enclosures were too small for the animals, and there is seriously underutilized green space. There were paths that suddenly ended and a few random benches. The only shade was under the massive bridges that crossed the area. It was next to a river so it may flood a lot but still. Lots of unused potential.  I apologize for not having more pictures but I was chaperoning high school children around so I was a little preoccupied. 

2A6D46AF-4971-4D43-8678-D169D796AB4F.jpeg

D64C03C1-7461-4A2F-A56F-17630F250A91.jpeg

FDEEC5A7-8962-4B65-929D-B9A697E8331E.jpeg

DB964836-888B-4D0F-A52E-9EA76D519DEE.jpeg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

Question for you old people:

Back in the 80s was there a Krispy Kreme in or near the Providence Square Shopping Center?

Old person here: No there was a KK shop on Providence in myers park near the existing 2 level Harris Teeter at Queens/Providence

Photo from my last purchase earlier in the month

IMG_0788.JPG

Edited by KJHburg
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

C. D. Spangler was son of C. D., a home builder who partnered with a local bank to offer homes and mortgages all in one. Then he became a shareholder of the bank, then owner and so on. C. D. the younger followed and made his own investing successes. This was the banking connection for large Spangler family holdings in BofA. 

I recall reading that C. D. Sr. was active building in Dilworth in the 20's and 30's and CD Jr. was a boy in the family home on East Kingston, I THINK it was behind Dilworth Methodist Church, with home now gone as parking for the church. This is quite a time ago I read this so if anyone has more complete information please correct me. A man and family that deserves a marker, park, something lasting with his name here.

• Like 2

Article in time magazine on democracy and the hits it is taking around the world (including here) is a good short read: 

http://time.com/5336615/democracy-will-prevail/

The map that came with it is very interesting. It shows the USA moving from a full to a flawed democracy. Behind Uruguay (who knew, it's on my list to visit now).

https://infographics.economist.com/2018/DemocracyIndex/

I'm willing to bet if we exclude the South East and Texaswe'd be back in the top echelons. ;-)  Although much of the drag now is Federal / Trump.

There's been a few things in my life that I had to accept for what they were, no matter how much it hurt or how much I wanted things to be different, but the fact that Tom Cruise is five years older in this photo than Wilford Brimley was in Cocoon is just a bridge too far. I'm sorry, I just can't. Not yet anyway. Maybe someday I'll have the strength.

Huh.png

• Haha 1