Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

A fine piece of 'journalism' from the Agenda. 

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/107844/15-annoying-types-charlotteans-ranked/

#12 The Ballantyne Defender made me chuckle. As did #10 The Commercial Real Estate guy.

unfortunately I suspect all of us here are #1 The Charlotte Know It All when we are IRL (cringe)

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, kermit said:

A fine piece of 'journalism' from the Agenda. 

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/107844/15-annoying-types-charlotteans-ranked/

#12 The Ballantyne Defender made me chuckle. As did #10 The Commercial Real Estate guy.

unfortunately I suspect all of us here are #1 The Charlotte Know It All when we are IRL (cringe)

Actually pretty hilarious. And agreed on us all being #1 

Does anyone else get peeved when people/media refer to small towns (Pineville, Matthews, Belmont, etc) as "suburbs?"

I hear all the time "The suburb of Belmont", when in point of fact, they are small towns with suburbs around them.

Many people see any place around a major metro as a suburb, as if a legitimate municipality with a downtown isn't deserving of its own distinction.

I know this is a little petty, but this fine-grained nuance is how I see our built-environment!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Does anyone else get peeved when people/media refer to small towns (Pineville, Matthews, Belmont, etc) as "suburbs?"

I hear all the time "The suburb of Belmont", when in point of fact, they are small towns with suburbs around them.

Many people see any place around a major metro as a suburb, as if a legitimate municipality with a downtown isn't deserving of its own distinction.

I know this is a little petty, but this fine-grained nuance is how I see our built-environment!

How do you feel about "bedroom communities"

38 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

How do you feel about "bedroom communities"

I guess that's a half-way-happy c-o-m-promise.

10 hours ago, elrodvt said:

^Eye of the beholder I guess. I view Mathews and Belmont as towns and Pineville as the burbs. Probably because the former two seem to have their own style. 

Right. I guess my root issue is that by ignoring the reality of a legitimate town (only acknowledging its existence in relation to a bigger city) we are perpetuating the mindsets that got us into this unsustainable mess of suburban sprawl and centralized economies in the first place.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/109431/cash-confessional-week-spending-charlotte-combined-850000-salary/

I found this to be so obnoxious, probably from lots of envy. 

An 800,000 salary and rental properties that bring in 36k per property, wife salary of 50k, flip a few houses a year to make 60K off of each. Saves 15-20k per MONTH into savings. The wife had no school debt because of her parents “thanks mom and dad.”  And if they were smart, which they most likely are, they’re investing their money into god knows what for retirement savings. And only 30 & 29 years old 

Geez.... 

• Like 1

There's no way that is accurate. The story says that he works at a bank branch and is a manager. No one working at a bank branch makes that kind of money - no one. I think there is an extra zero on his salary and what he is saving per month - maybe a joke, maybe a mistake. Does the CA ask for pay stubs for these things or just take people's word for it? If they were netting essentially $946,000 annually, that's roughly $80,000 per month. The monthly expenses they listed are under $2,500. Even if they saved $20K per month and had $2,500 on expenses, what the hell do they spend the other $57,500 on each month? I know taxes take a nice chunk at that income level, but it just doesn't all add up.

7 hours ago, Nick2 said:

So....since I couldn't find anywhere better to post this, I'll put it here.

Are there any other UP sub-forums as busy as CLT's? I'm just curious because it seems almost crazy that one forum has so many people viewing/commenting here.

Nashville's is busier than ours

I discovered this forum four years ago. I lived in Dilworth and was curious about a project and a search revealed this site and I have followed it closely since that time. I was pleased that the interaction here was unlike so many other boards, with respect, accommodation, knowledge and civility mixed evenly. Though there are occasions when I block someone it has been rare. The level of educated discourse contributes to the satisfaction of this participant.

There is just a small amount of "churn" among members so I believe my experience applies to many others here. I only wish that there would be some growth among the number of contributors. Perhaps I should encourage a bit more strongly some I know to participate, eve if it is only to read.

In case the message is not clear, I thank all for their willingness to read and learn and the respect for boundaries.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

I could have guessed theirs would be busy lol. But I didn't expect there would be one busier than CLT's considering how active this forum is.

Yeah, I visit their section just as much as ours and they have a very active forum over there.  Plus, they are very active in meeting up which I think would be good for us to start doing more often.   They also seem to post more/better picture updates than we do which generates more conversation. 

2 minutes ago, jtmonk said:

Yeah, I visit their section just as much as ours and they have a very active forum over there.  Plus, they are very active in meeting up which I think would be good for us to start doing more often.   They also seem to post more/better picture updates than we do which generates more conversation. 

The meeting up thing would be pretty cool. It'd give the UPers even more of a sense of community.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jtmonk said:

Yea. We used to have way more photo updates back in the day it was nearly daily. It was @Mobuchu wish he still contributed but he's a busy guy now, I don't think his job brings him to the four corners of Charlotte anymore on a daily basis.

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, jtmonk said:

Let's all try to have a forum meet up soon.  When are you in town RDF?  Any good time and dates for you guys?

:tw_bawling:Feb or March 2018, unless the Panthers can make it deep enough into the playoffs to have a home game.