>> Providence East Neighborhoods

Cotuit

Maybe the City does not regret the Broad Street CVS, but I sure hope it does.

I don't recall that restriction specifically, but I was not in attendance at any community meetings with United Way. Nonetheless, your analogy is problematic to me -- the produce warehouse was owned by the State of RI and had a written historic easement in the purchase contract that mysteriously got removed at the closing table. The State is a public entity of and by the taxpayers, and it was derelict in its duty to act in the public interest. Despite what might have been implied by United Way, it is a private entity (though a very community-oriented one and one dependent on public support) and has no obligation to effectively devalue its property in the interest of the public good.

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And here is where I have an issue with what you are saying. If the United Way during community meetings said they would do something, then they have an obligation to live up to what they said.

The interest of public good should be something the United Way is concerned about. Especially when that entity relies on the public good for their existence.

The issues for me are simple...

- United Way: The UW was asked by the neighborhood group to meet with us specifically because we were worried about the rumor that the space would become a pharmacy with a parking lot. Period. They said no sale discussions had started yet but wished to put our minds at ease since they would, of course, be take into consideration the interests and character of the Square. No promises made of course, but strong implication of "Don't worry, we know the rumors and we would never be that stupid to allow it" were made. I still have the gentleman's business card...

About a year later what do we have? Pharmacy with parking lot proposal...

Despite what might have been implied by United Way, it is a private entity (though a very community-oriented one and one dependent on public support) and has no obligation to effectively devalue its property in the interest of the public good.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it appears our "new" economy, or lack thereof, is starting to hit the East Side.

Some newly noticed or pending closings:

Elmgrove:

- Rose Field (which itself just moved from Hope Village)

Wayland Sq:

- Exotic Tans (mentioned already)

Thayer St

- Geoff's

- Wangs (!! They've been there forever !!)

Olney St

- The Caribbean store

Hope Village

- Judaic Traditions (who, in this article blames the spiraling costs of doing business in the economy and lack of people shopping locally, which sounds about right to me)

So sad, sad stuff... And I think this is just the tip of the iceberg of retail turnover. Every shop person I've talked to has said their overhead has just been shooting up of late. I hope all of the fledgling neighborhood retail progress we've seen in Providence over the last few years isn't set too far back.

On the upside, if any of the booted out Arcade retailers are looking for new storefronts, there is no lack of options on the East Side...

- Garris

Judaic Traiditions closing really bums me out. People wonder why there is not a jewish deli or butcher shop in Providence, when there is such a large and vibrant jewish community. This is why. I agree with the owner that the jewish community does not support jewish businesses.

I bought a seder plate, a menorah and various other items from there since moving to Providence. While not everyday purchasesd it was nice to know that I had this place when I needed it.

The Geoff's on Thayer has been there since 91 or 92. The Geoff's on Benefit however has been there since the early 70's and is indeed still open. I actually miss the pizza place next door. They used to have 2 slices of cheese and a can of coke for $3. Bargain!

I think it's time for the community to step up and redo the JCC/Federation building on Elmgrove to include some sidewalk fronting retail space that's subsidized for Jewish-themed businesses (Judaica, Kosher retaurant/market, etc). It would also be good urbanism. To lower the risk, perhaps the successful businesses in Brookline could be approached to setup outposts here.

The local Jewish community is certainly large enough, densely populated enough, and successful enough to support such businesses in the right environment.

I am really bummed that Wang's closed. They have been on Thayer for as long as I can remember. When I was in high school they were across the street upstairs from the copy shop. There was a Jazz record store up there too. I get bummed when any of the few hold outs on Thayer closes. Shades Plus and the Army Navy are 2 of the only older businesses left now. I'm fairly certain they own the building though which would explain that.

Anyways, this is a topic that is probably incomprehensible to most UP readers, but is really important to, like, 3 of us. Maybe that's indicative of the problem with the larger judaica business plan.

speaking of niche retail, even though its west hoods... I actually found a non-chain PHARMACY.. I thought they were dodo birds!!! On Chalkstone by Lasalle, in that Lasalle Bakery complex there appears to be a mom n pop pharmacy.. This really put a hop in my step.. I remember going to these as a kid before they all got collectively snuffed out by the CVS's etc..

I haven't actually been yet, but I suggest, if its not simply a bodega front for an illegal gambling ring, that we all frequent this.. Or, if anyone knows a working non-Stop n Shop/CVS/etc pharmacy please let me know..

speaking of niche retail, even though its west hoods... I actually found a non-chain PHARMACY.. I thought they were dodo birds!!! On Chalkstone by Lasalle, in that Lasalle Bakery complex there appears to be a mom n pop pharmacy.. This really put a hop in my step.. I remember going to these as a kid before they all got collectively snuffed out by the CVS's etc..

I haven't actually been yet, but I suggest, if its not simply a bodega front for an illegal gambling ring, that we all frequent this.. Or, if anyone knows a working non-Stop n Shop/CVS/etc pharmacy please let me know..

Archived