>> Providence East Neighborhoods

Cotuit

Actually, does anyone know what the deal with the empty house/store on Thayer is? I believe it's red or brown, on the same side as Urban Outfitters. I know I'm not helping here but it seems like such a prime location for an empty storefront.

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm still of the opinion that all the ones Downcity are way far worse. Which is why I'm boycotting them all.

Alls I know is I love my russian girls up on Atwells, they were on vacation last week and it ruined my whole week, I had to go to Starbucks. :ph34r:

Speaking of Starbucks. The one at the Hilton was out of whole milk and half and half the other morning. How the hell does a Starbucks run out of whole milk and half and half? That's like the bank running out of money, or New York System running out of arms to stack the weiners on. :dunno:

the dunkin donuts had a 20 year lease (!) that's running out. they're turning that and the store next to it (currently details) into another sushi place, from what i hear, because apparently two isn't enough for a four-block radius. apparently the rents on thayer are now such that dunkin' donuts can't afford to stay there.... (i always kind of liked that one. it didn't try to be something it wasn't, and it was the last one in the state where, in like 2001, you could still get a coffee for 95 cents.)

in other news, they finally finished the wrong-looking crosswalk at the corner of thayer and angell. and once again the man with the huge muscly arms did nothing while some 60-year old did all the work.

the dunkin donuts had a 20 year lease (!) that's running out. they're turning that and the store next to it (currently details) into another sushi place, from what i hear, because apparently two isn't enough for a four-block radius. apparently the rents on thayer are now such that dunkin' donuts can't afford to stay there....

Is the one on Benefit St still open? I haven't been there in years. Do they still have the thing-a-ma-gig of pickles were you reach in and pick out your own slice? I remember an article in some local newspaper ( Providence Eagle ) where they wrote about how intentionally rude the order takers are, which somwhow added to the charm (?) :o of the place. I can rememeber being in there one day when the guy ordering in front of me ordered a roast beef sandwhich. The clerk yelled out that she needed a " dead cow ". Well I thought I was going to lose it right then and there. :lol: I'll just bet that the majority of their employees come from RISD students.

My wife worked there for a couple of years and they were certainly encouraged to be rude. It was generally all in good fun, but if a customer did something like wander off and not respond to the sandwich questions (SALTPEPPERCELERYSALT???) They would either toss the sandwich in the trash and refuse to serve, or they would just make it however they felt like it, which usually involved a lot of hot sauce. It was a good place to work until they got sold and the new owners installed cameras all over the place in the back and it kind of spooked the employees and almost every left.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like we'll be getting a traffic signal at Hope and Cypress if not soon then within the next 5 years. They put in all the underground electrical and such last week. Everyone on Hope blows through the stop sign anyway so this would be an improvement.

My wife worked there for a couple of years and they were certainly encouraged to be rude. It was generally all in good fun, but if a customer did something like wander off and not respond to the sandwich questions (SALTPEPPERCELERYSALT???) They would either toss the sandwich in the trash and refuse to serve, or they would just make it however they felt like it, which usually involved a lot of hot sauce. It was a good place to work until they got sold and the new owners installed cameras all over the place in the back and it kind of spooked the employees and almost every left.

Looks like we'll be getting a traffic signal at Hope and Cypress if not soon then within the next 5 years. They put in all the underground electrical and such last week. Everyone on Hope blows through the stop sign anyway so this would be an improvement.

There is definitely enough traffic on Cypress to warrant a traffic control there and you're right, four way stops are just plain inefficient. The delay per vehicle is much higher than a traffic light. In the morning Hope backs up pretty far since every car has to stop. And I can't even count how many times I've seen cars on Hope blow through the intersection most likely because they're not expecting a four way stop.

they didn't put any new electrical down Hope to connect it to the light at Doyle, so unless both lights are pretimed they won't be coordinated. Pretimed lights themselves are almost as inefficient as a 4-way stop, though, so its a toss up.

The lights on Butler at Angell and Waterman REALLY need to be coordinated. Butler southbound backs up daily all the way to Blackstone. I've beat cars walking down Butler a few times.

Archived