>> Providence East Neighborhoods

Cotuit

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't understand the cry for more parking on Thayer. From an economic point of view, Thayer is doing fine. Lots of crowds from the, oh, ten thousand or so people who live within easy walking distance. If you must drive, you probably can't park dead smack in front of your destination, but if you can't find parking within four blocks you've given up too easily. What turnover there is comes from high rent pressure, so it is not like businesses are failing from lack of customers.

I hear folks like the guy from the Brown Book Store saying "we have to have a parking lot" when you can barely get through the crush of pedestrian traffic at any of the multiple peak traffic times (lunch, high school exit, dinner, late night). This is about as good a success story as there is for a neighborhood business district.

I think a lot of the parking attitude stems from people thinking they have a right to park no more than 10 feet from their destination and Thayer street violates that sense of entitlement.

it was a trade off--bring the building closer to the street and corner of frost and then they got their turn lane, at least that's my understanding of the situation.

what is unfortunate is that we have to rob peter to pay paul entirely too often in the city just to get a few freaking crumbs of decent urban design.

can the elms be moved someplace else in the city?

it was a trade off--bring the building closer to the street and corner of frost and then they got their turn lane, at least that's my understanding of the situation.

what is unfortunate is that we have to rob peter to pay paul entirely too often in the city just to get a few freaking crumbs of decent urban design.

as an aside i'm not loving the results of those bare root trees.

I do know that some of the elms are being relocated onto the walgreens property but i don't know if all of them are. The City Forester has been very convincing to many developers in making sure their lots and properties are nice and green. I actually think there will be a net gain of trees in that area but it is always risky when you move trees because they just might not make it, and the whole idea of the elms in the median is to try to soften NMS and make it more of a boulevard and less of a freeway... But we do what we can, right?

• 2 weeks later...

The rumored Alder's Hardware branch opening in a new expansion of the Eastside Market Plaza is supposedly not happening... They decided not to do that after all and instead to refocus on the Wickenden St store (thus the new sign there and I guess some spiffing up that's yet to come)...

I wonder if the Eastside Market Plaza expansion is off as a result as well...

- Garris

• 2 weeks later...

Kind of reminds me of when I saw a sign on the door of the Citizens Bank in Wayland Square that announced that the branch was closing "in order to serve you better."

So the Dunkin Donuts on Thayer Street has a big sign in the window that basically says:

"For Your Convenience, we are moving to Lonsdale Avenue in Pawtucket."

Uhm, thank you? :huh:

Archived