>> Providence East Neighborhoods

Cotuit

Heavy work is now underway at the building at the intersection of Angell, South Angell, and Wayland in Wayland Square (previously housing the recently closed Delkin Cleaners and the long closed Wayland Deli).

The permit says that they're doing work to construct office space in the building, which I think would be a huge shame given how this is one of the Square's most visible retail frontages.

From what I've heard, the landlord of the building is terrible. They never even replaced the awning for the deli for the years they were there (it still says "plant services" from a long gone business).

We'll see what happens...

Also, work continues inside of Pop Science, the science themed toy store, which is looking pretty cool... No facade work as yet... Quietly, the Wayland outpost of the West End's Method Fitness has now opened in the former Exotic Tans site, whose departure has visibly improved the Square by leaps and bounds.

Down at the Eastside Market Plaza, the building that's going to house Boston Sports Club looks almost done, although it's nearly invisible and has no impact on the look of the plaza (good or bad depending upon your view, good in my book) since the strip plaza addition is mercifully blocked by trees in the median of the parking lot.

In small news, it looks like Books on the Square has a new awning and, of course, the Wayland Square Starbucks (which my fiancee calls the Wayland Square Community and Meeting Center) isn't on the list of closing stores (RI loves its coffee!).

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this has probably been brought up a thousand times before, but I feel the urgent need to bring it up again:

It seems like people get mugged at least once a week on the blocks between Prospect, Bowen, Brook and Halsey streets, and yet whenever I'm over there at night, there are no cops to be seen anywhere. Why is that? I was willing to let it go and chalk it up to Brown students being chronically unaware of their surroundings (in all my life, here or elsewhere, I've never had a problem on the street), until my boyfriend and I were cornered and beaten at random last night at the corner of Lloyd and Thayer. Other than me looking like David Gest after his honeymoon, we're both fine, but I know there are many people not otherwise associated with that area who need to use those streets on a regular basis to get to and from where they need to be at night, and this seems to be a regular occurrence as a result. Isn't there any more that can be done here? It all seems sort of uncivilized to me.

I'm glad you guys are ok. If you could somehow query the police reports for that general area in District 9 and get a list of the frequency of crimes, you could take it to the district commander and request that some action be taken. The District 9 commander is Lt. John K. Ryan (243-6990). You may want to give him a call first to see what the best way of getting the police reports is. Hope everything works out.

Thanks guys. It was a humbling experience to be sure, but I'm happy to have gotten through it without any permanent damage - just a lost cell phone. I've gotten a few leads through here that I'll definitely follow through on regarding the situation. I know I don't exactly have a track record of being the nicest guy on here, so I wanted to say thanks to everyone.

An interesting thing happened actually. Apparently the guys who mugged us got caught on the security tape at Antonio's Pizza right afterward bragging about it. Supposedly it's not of sufficient quality to actually ID anybody (I haven't seen it myself yet), but I still think it's pretty funny.

In Wayland Square news, one rumor is that the Delken Cleaners spot, currently being renovated, is slated to be a restaurant. The building permit says "office space," but whatever...

Apparently, the Delken's Cleaners folks badly wanted to stay in that space, but the landlord, who seemingly hasn't updated the building since the Hoover administration, wanted them out for whatever is going in now and didn't renew them. Interesting... The old Wayland Deli space adjacent, vacant for about 2 years now, does not appear to be part of this renovation (sadly) and will apparently have that sad "plant services" awning for all time...

Another rumor is that the Wayland Square Surgicenter site may be closing. Many in the medical world hypothesized this would happen after the state imposed its huge, arbitrary tax on such centers' gross revenue (the only state in the US to have such a tax, BTW). The center was rumored to be financially vulnerable, and I'm sure a tax like this could be the final such nail. Thanks, RI!

Also in the rumor category is that the Boston Sports Club in the Eastside Market plaza will be delaying in opening, probably the same capitalization issues impacting all businesses right now. The building is apparently done (?).

Last rumor is that in Hope Village, the Creatoyvity Toy Store had originally wanted to take over the space adjacent to them (Swan Wines?), but that retailer, much to the landlord's and the toy store's annoyance, wouldn't deal. As my source says, "I wouldn't want to be the wine store when their lease comes up..."

Out of rumors and into facts is that the Ives Street Oop! branch, near invisible and unknown to many including those living on the street, has a "For Rent" sign in the window. It seems that they'll be operating and open until someone rents (the Oop! folks own the building) but I think the closing of that store was predicted by it becoming the "Ooplet" outlet and then by the opening of a similar themed retail pushcart in the PP Mall. A blow, unfortunately, to the newly active retail of Ives St...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I'm back from a honeymoon in Greece (I'll post some impressions of urban Athens and Santorini later) and returned to two East Side changes I thought I'd post:

1) In the former Yang's space on Thayer is a sign for Best Burger Company (BBC) coming soon... If they have decent quality and value that should do really well... No word of lawsuits from a certain venerable British media outlet as yet...

2) Pow Science, the science themed toy store in Wayland Square, has a very big, very square, very colorful sign up straight from the Blaze/Aspire school of signage...

That's all for now!

Archived