>> Providence East Neighborhoods

Cotuit

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply
speaking of niche retail, even though its west hoods... I actually found a non-chain PHARMACY.. I thought they were dodo birds!!! On Chalkstone by Lasalle, in that Lasalle Bakery complex there appears to be a mom n pop pharmacy.. This really put a hop in my step.. I remember going to these as a kid before they all got collectively snuffed out by the CVS's etc..

I haven't actually been yet, but I suggest, if its not simply a bodega front for an illegal gambling ring, that we all frequent this.. Or, if anyone knows a working non-Stop n Shop/CVS/etc pharmacy please let me know..

Rather than be empty for the next 3-4 years as I was anticipating, the now vacant Exotic Tans spot in Wayland Square will become a personal training studio.

It was also announced that the new Miriam Hospital ER building should begin construction soon and be open in about two years, although I know little about this (i.e.: a new building vs renovation of the existing ED space). I think it involves some new construction...

- Garris

I'm happy to report there is a new shoe store that has opened up in the former toy store on Hope Street. Discounted high end shoes and they store is quite lovely also!

Also heard that the former Dunkin Donuts on Hope has a new renter. Can't wait to find out. Tacos? Pizza? BBQ? Sandwich shop? I'll take anything but a tanning place.

• 1 month later...

The large and prominent Wayland Toy Store space which has been empty for over a year seems to have a new renter. From the signs up, it appears that a science-themed toy store will be going into the space. Renovations inside already appear to be underway. The name is "Pow Science" and it appears they already have a store in Middletown. Here is their url: http://www.powscience.com.

A toy store? Should we start the death clock now?

I worked in the toy industry around the turn of the century, it has been experiencing a steady decline since the late 90s. It is basically a dead industry outside of Walmart and Target. That's why every toy store in the city closes shortly after it opens.

It's sad really, I feel so bad for kids today, independent toy stores are like a wonderland, no aisle in Walmart can replace it.

I LOVE science toy stores!! There used to be one next to the Gap in Newport. I went in there in my college years and could always find something I wanted. As a kid, I loved the gift shop at the science museum, but it's soooo overpriced.

If this new shop comes to life, I will be there.

If they sell astronaut ice cream... I'll be there weekly. :)

A toy store? Should we start the death clock now?

I worked in the toy industry around the turn of the century, it has been experiencing a steady decline since the late 90s. It is basically a dead industry outside of Walmart and Target. That's why every toy store in the city closes shortly after it opens.

It's sad really, I feel so bad for kids today, independent toy stores are like a wonderland, no aisle in Walmart can replace it.

• 2 weeks later...

The Ruggieri Art Gallery in Wayland Square closed... A super-high-end gallery always seemed an odd fit for the Square, which seems now (with the mix of restaurants and retail) to more be crying out for a good ice cream or desert place (especially in a storefront that sized) than uber-expensive art.

A Providence version of Finale, or even a halfway decent gelato or similar retail, would absolutely explode here, I'd imagine...

What is the story with the parking nazi at the lot in Wayland Square (off Waterman past Wayland)? Who pays him, where does the money he collects go, why is there even a pay lot when Wayland Square is crazy with side streets with free parking? He attacked me Friday morning when I stopped on my way to the Cape to shop at Mod Mama (great store by the way, super friendly woman working there). So I left and parked on the street for free right outside the lot.

Also, does no one in Wayland Square have a job? Starbucks was a mob scene at 10:30am on Friday.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm I've noticed, as others haven't, that all Summer long you disappear Thursday/Sunday-Monday. Your right, of course. I'm guessing that you either rent a car or take a bus. Good for you and your lover. :good: It must be great to work in a mid-sized city and be close enough to relax @ a beach side community to relax. :thumbsup:

Archived