COMPLETE: GTECH Center

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Off topic, but any word on if/when Westminster and Weybossett Streets are going to become two way streets again? The RI DOT website does mention a downtown ADA-compliant sidewalk improvement project to begin in Spring '07 and downtown street circulation project ($3.5 M), although no time frame is given for this:

[url=http://www.dot.state.ri.us/projects/Provprojects2006.pdf.html]

I don't believe there is any plan for Westminster to become two-way, at least not east of Empire (there's a question of if it should be two-way through Cathedral Square when it re-opens). I don't know the timetable for Weybosset but I wish they'd get cracking on it.

Off topic, but any word on if/when Westminster and Weybossett Streets are going to become two way streets again? The RI DOT website does mention a downtown ADA-compliant sidewalk improvement project to begin in Spring '07 and downtown street circulation project ($3.5 M), although no time frame is given for this:

[url=http://www.dot.state.ri.us/projects/Provprojects2006.pdf.html]

Ari, something I'd really like to see next year on Westminster is a bigger effort on Holiday lighting amongst the retailers and on the street itself. I was watching some HGTV or Travel Channel thing the other night and they were showing the lighting in San Francisco, AMAZING! Next season Westminster should be more at it's critical mass with the Peerless fully (knock wood) leased and the shops that are already there. Some lighting/decorations that would really get people out to see the street would be awesome. Maybe the DID can help organize something and can get the city on the ball on lighting/decorating the streets.

Sorry. I meant to expand on this point. On Thursday - Saturday nights, Dorrance St is always backed up, as people try to get to the clubs on Pine St., usually all the way to Fountain St. With Weybosset St being two-way, it will backup traffic more than ever on Dorrance St., probably past Exchance Terrance, and Memerial Blvd. Weybosset St, left as it is now, allows for four lanes of traffic to navigate the downtown area, heading East, towards the College Hill. But if you allow two-way traffic on Weybosset St, we will have two parking lanes along with two lanes of traffic, with parked cars heading either East or West, travel lanes heading either East or West. And since Pine St is one way, heading South, exactly where are those car on Dorrance St which choose to turn down Weybosset St suppose to go? And, what happens on a night when PPAC has a show going on? The Providence Civic Center? Trinity? And don't even get me started on Grant's Block. :huh:

Archived