COMPLETE: GTECH Center

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's nothing that can be done about large event traffic, people just have to deal. They deal with traffic on Route 2 all day to go to big box hell, they shouldn't have a problem with a little traffic getting in and out of events. I'm much more concerned with the everyday traffic flow in the city, and having Empire and Weybosset be one way streets is detrimental to that flow.

There's nothing that can be done about large event traffic, people just have to deal. They deal with traffic on Route 2 all day to go to big box hell, they shouldn't have a problem with a little traffic getting in and out of events. I'm much more concerned with the everyday traffic flow in the city, and having Empire and Weybosset be one way streets is detrimental to that flow.

While i'm not defending the building if you are talking about the front corner - it may look worse because they have paper blocking the windows for a section still under construction. During the night it looks really dark.

Hate how this building relates to the street, especially the corner. Love how this building relates to Waterplace.

That is a major pedestrian corner and I think the small plaza there is more than appropriate.

The grade of Francis makes it hard for that side to get to the street, I'm not sure how you would improve it, I thought the Fidelity space is really nice.

Memorial, well, you need a loading dock somewhere.

I can see your points, but there are restrictions here. It's not like they could run an alley off of Francis for the loading ck and parking entrance. Regrading half of Francis would make the area look ridiculous, IMO. Regrading the whole thing is impossible with the mall (and super expensive anyway).

One thing that really gets me around here is a lot of complaining without any ideas for how to improve anything. I guess I fall into the trap, too, but seriously, I would like to know what you would do differently and why.

I did a Google image search for Gtech, and this building came up. It's the Georgia Tech Hotel & Conference Center. Imagine if *our* Gtech building looked a little more like this? It would be a few floors higher, could have bigger windows for a more modernist look, and that glass tower could be extended for a similar effect to the current building. While I do like the current building more than I thought I would, I still wonder what else could have been there.

gtech.gif

That brick and internally illuminated glass combination would look good at the Fogarty Building site, looking toward the brick structures nearby like the Journal Building, but also toward the glass of E@B and a more modern/vibrant threatre/entertainment district in the Power Block/Empire area.

That brick and internally illuminated glass combination would look good at the Fogarty Building site, looking toward the brick structures nearby like the Journal Building, but also toward the glass of E@B and a more modern/vibrant threatre/entertainment district in the Power Block/Empire area.

Archived